Motorcycle chain lube and cleaner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a definitive review/comparison of different motorcycle chain lubes and which ones are the best to purchase/use for O-ring and non O-ring chains?

What about cleaners?

Definitive no, however I will give you my 2cents worth and I have over 40 years as a M/C mech. Kerosene is one of the best cleaners as it will not harm O rings. I prefer PJ1 blue on O ring for lube and don't have a pref in non O ring chains.
I use a tooth brush to clean and lots of rags and cardboard to keep the mess to a minimum.
Smoky

^^Good guidance

My
49.gif

I would not use any product marketed as "chain wax", I used it back in the day because it was marketed as being cleaner than normal lube but I wasted that chain in pretty short order and discontinued the chain wax experiment. Some will say that o-ring chains don't need to be lubed, don't believe those people. I was habitually buying Fuchs Silkolene Pro Synthetic or something to that effect with good result for quite a while.

I feel that WD40 is a more convenient cleaner, because it is in a can and I use it for other things rather than kerosene so that is what I typically use. It's a little less viscous than kerosene (which is great), but close enough for me. There are purpose marketed cleaners and brushes, too but I haven't tried them.

Yes there is but its in German.It maybe of no use here but the S100 is valid.
Sehr Gut is the best 1 best-4 worst.The S100 white is phenomenal,it hangs on the chain with very little throw off on
the rear wheel,it also does not build up over a long period in the front sprocket housing.

The S100 chain cleaner gel is the best in the business bar non,spray on the chain,give it 10 min and hose it off.
Spotless,just wipe it dry and drive it for a couple of miles to get it warm and lube.

Spraying the whole chain gets real dirty,do it carefully from inside the chains surface a small shot on each O ring and a shot on each side of middle roller will go for a long while with S100,let it dry for half an hour before riding.I got over 30K out of my CBR1100XX chain with S100 white.

Many dealers in the U.S. carry S100 products.If they don't have the chain cleaner their total bike cleaner works well on the chain but need a little light scrubbing with a nylon brush.

http://www.testberichte.de/testsieger/level3_motorrad_zubehoer_motorrad_kettensprays_2116.html

After doing a search on this, I found recommendations for Dupont Teflon Chain Lube, Shell Advance Chain Lube, Repsol Chain Lube, Motorex, etc...

A local sport bike gear shop (Sportbike Track Gear) appears to only carry Repsol chain lube, and they seem to have a good reputation among track racers?

What kind of lube is needed to protect the chain and sprockets? Do I want something like a SAE 90 or will a dry lube suffice?

No the chain lube replaces some owners manual recommendations for 90w,the spray lube is all you need for the chain and sprockets.

Originally Posted By: metroplex
Does it matter if it is a dry or wet lube?

The dry teflon lubes i tried were terrible,they don't hold up well and wash out easily,i wouldn't waste my money on them.
The one i tried was Profi Dry Lube,the darn chain got so hot it turned the rollers blue and ruined the chain.

Last edited:
Many V-Strom riders report long chain life using $5 DuPont Teflon Multi-Use Lubricant from Lowe's. PG1 Blue is less widely used and also gets good recommendations.

For cleaning, try just wiping with a dry rag. If that doesn't get the job done, use kerosene or WD-40.

If oil and nothing but oil works for you, try chain saw bar & chain oil with the tackiness additive.

I only have one MC that still uses chain. Although K-1 does a great job, it is a PIA to use on a chain that has no master link. So, I use WD 40 in aerosol (hey, maybe I should subcontract with some outfit to put K-1 in aerosol cans). WD 40 works well to loosen the grime and float it out of the crannies. Shop towels to mop the debris for mthe chain. Once dry, I take a short ride and then lube with Stihl chain and bar lube for chainsaws. Put my hand in a medium sized poly bag and work the tacky-sticky goo right in there. Short and slow ride and towel that off. Seems to last longer than motor oil or chain wax. I don't think I could bring myself to use 90W gear oil, who wants a bike smelling like an egg [censored]?

prs

using Kroil to clean chains could cost a fortune. Don't reinvent the wheel. Kerosene #1 WD-40 #2 in that order.

I don't currently have a moto, but I got some cans of the DuPont from Lowe's in anticipation of getting one. I've put in on my road bike chain with a toothbrush and it looked real slick and clean looking. I'm now trying 80w90 applied the same way.

BTW, after applying the teflon spray I would wipe it down after every few rides with a blue shop towel. IIRC, chains dont need much lube and this is why I kept getting a dirty shop towel after wiping it down. It seems it would 'bleed' excess oil for awhile until it reaches equilibrium. BTW, never found any dust, dirt, sand or animal hairs on the chain with the DuPont over a period of ~2 months.

I've always wanted to try Honda's chain lube with moly.

I bought a few cans of the Dupont Chain Saver Teflon/Moly spray. I found them at Wal-Mart in the motorcycle/ATV aisle. I sprayed some on my door hinges to test it out (I know, different application). It sprays on very easily, but dries to a thin goo. It smells nice, and is clear. When I used it on my Glock, it left a cloudy film that you can smear off.

Since Motorcycle Consumer News and Web Bike World seem to rave about it, I feel more confident giving it a try on the real thing.

Here is my personal experience based a lot of years of riding and several motorcycles:
(1.) ANY lube is a lot better than NO lube !!!
(2.) I agree with the poster who had bad luck with the teflon type "dry" sprays. Some of them, seem to be OK for dirt bikes, but it doesn't last very long on street bikes. ALso, teflon is not a particularly good extreme pressure lubricant.
(3.) I use and have used several types of currently available chain lubes, and the one that seems to consistently do the best job of minimizing wear (and chain adjustments) in my mind is the Maxima Chain Wax. I use it regularly on my VFR800 and typically, I only have to adjust the chain once a year! I also have used the PJ-1 Blue with good results. Silkolene, Motorex and Motul lubes seem to be good, but don't appear to last as long as the Maxima Chain Wax. The "thinner" "synthetic" chain lubes seem to be more messy and throw off worse.

I sincerely doubt that you will see too much difference between the brands....the important thing is REGULAR use of a chain lube.

Count me in with the Kerosene crowd for a chain cleaner. As far as I can tell, cleaning chains is just the price of doing business! If you do it right, it is a modestly messy, time consuming job....but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back