New 2 Stroke dirt bike, premix oil questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, I just bought a new 300cc two stroke water cooled single dirt bike. The engine will operate mainly between idle and 7,500 rpm. The bike has an active exhaust power valve which opens and closes based on rpm.

Most of my two stroke dirt bikes in the past have run Yamalube 2R for premix at 32:1.

The new bike (Gas Gas) says to run 50:1 premix and a semi-synthetic or full synthetic oil with 93 octane gas.

Now... most of the shops around here want $22 a quart for full synthetic oil. Yamalube is $10 a quart but IIRC it spooged alot and ran dirty. SEE SECONDE POST BELOW

Last edited:
Few of the motorcycle oils listed the JASO rating on them. By accident, I stumbled across ECHO Power Blend semi-synthetic oil and noticed that it was both JASO FD and ISO-L-EGD rated. Right next to it on the shelf is Homelite premix oil, same container only red instead of green. Same label on the back, also stated JASO FD AND ISO-L-EGD. $6.49/16 ounces at Home Depot.

Would any of you hesitate to run this oil at the specified mixture of 50:1? Both oils themselves also spec the 50:1 ratio so I would be right on track for the bike spec and the oil spec. Echo doesn't have any water cooled equipment, but I thing the cleanliness of the FD may keep the exhaust valve gunk free What do you all think?

Wal Mart has this, I just found it: FD/TC also, 50:1. I am looking for protection as well as clean running.

http://paceperformance.com/i-5136597-nso...-oz-bottle.html
G-Oil® 2-Cycle Outdoor Power Oil

Product Description

G-OIL™ 2-Cycle Green Engine Oil is a high performance Universal 2-cycle engine oil made from American grown base oils to provide the ultimate protection for your garden equipment, chain saws, motorcycles, snowmobiles and other fuel lubricated or fuel injected 2-cycle engines. G-OIL™ 2-Cycle Green Engine Oil is composed of highly polar natural esters with a detergent and dispersant.

G-OIL™ 2-Cycle Green Engine Oil is designed to protect the environment from smoke and harmful emissions while providing superior protection (even at high temperature and high loads) against piston scuffing.

G-OIL™ 2-Cycle Green Engine Oil is Ultimate Biodegradable, the highest biodegradability ranking as determined by ASTM Standards (2.1 ASTM D-5864) and environmentally safe. G-OIL™ 2-Cycle Green Engine Oil is the Green alternative for all 2-stroke engines.

Benefits

•Ultimate Biodegradable (greater than or equal to 60% in 28 days)

•Excellent solubility and detergency power

•No smoke and low ash content

•High temperature protection

•Anti-wear and anti-oxidant characteristic base stock aids outstanding thermal and oxidative stability

•Protects against deposits and ring sticking

•Protects bearings and pistons from wear and scuffing

•May be used with E-10 fuels

•Dyed green for easy identification in the fuel.

•Bottles are made from recyclable HDPE #2 plastic and the labels are printed with water based inks on recyclable paper

Applications

G-OIL 2-Cycle Green Engine Oil is recommended for all air-cooled, 2-stroke engines used in chain saws, weed wackers, air blowers, lawn mowers, motorcycles, snowmobiles and small generators. It may be used in any application that requires API service TC and JASO FD specifications.

Specifications and Approvals

G-OIL™ 2-Cycle Green Engine Oil meets or exceeds:

•API TC

•JASO FD

•Approved and recommended by Homelite and Ryobi Engine Manufacturers

Last edited:
Bailey,

I post on this subject all the time. Castrol power RS TTS is a quality synthetic oil that will serve you well. I've replaced my favorite 2 stroke oil (M1, MX2t, now discontinued) with TT-S.

Disclaimer (mostly for member, Boraticus), I have not tested TT-S scientifically, as I have with other oils. I am a user and I have had excellent results with it.

It's required for our 52HP, Solo brand engine, 2 stroke twin powered DG808b, self launching glider. Hence the fact that I have a bunch on hand.

It works quite well, with minimal powervalve buildup in motorcycle and holds up well in Kart engines.

Nice choice on the Gas-Gas. They seem like excellent machines and I've loved the ones I've ridden, even if it was for just a minute or two.

By the way, 32 to 1 is a very good choice with regard to ratio, regardless of oil type or brand used. Yes, scientific testing confirms this.

Last edited:
You just bought a really nice bike, so you want t use a quality oil. Skip the WalMart house brand oil.

Here are some suggestions:
Maxima K2 - I called Maxima and spoke with the tech department. Excellent wear and ring sealing properties. I was using Motul 2 stroke oil and they (the Maxima tech guy) had a great deal of respect for the oil but they had worked with a race team and felt they finally exceeded Motul. Either one is a great choice.

There are many people who use Yamalube and I hear it is a quality product. YOu are also OK with 50:1, if you don't want spooge ride it harder.

I want the oil that will lubricate the best and keep the engine and exhaust the cleanest. That is why I was looking at the FD oils. If the FD ISO-L-EGD certification is on the bottle, does it really matter what label is on the front and how much it costs? We all know a motorcycle shop will charge 20-50% higher markup than Wally or Home depot.

BTW, no one here sells Maxima or Castrol TTS anymore. MX2T is gone, all that is around here is outboard motor oil, Belray full synthetic at $22 a quart, Yamalube at $10, and Repsol scooter oil for $10, FB. Even with the Echo oil, two 16oz containers still comes out to $14 a quart.

I believe the Yamalube is FC. Back in tha'day, Yamalube was taken as gospel, I ran it no questions asked. My engines were reasonably clean, the powervalve could have been cleaner. Spooge came out at 32:1.

Despite the brand label I was more specifically asking about the quality of the oil inside the bottle, FD ISO-E-EGD is currently the top notch standard that the best oils conform to. Can someone shed some light as to why an FD rated oil would not be good?

Last edited:
You can get Maxima and other oils from Dennis Kirk at almost the yamalube price. Why not call Maxima, tell them the bike you have and how you will ride it and they will recommend an oil for you. They are really very helpful.

Echo oil, walmart oil is probably not the best move. You have almost no savings really, especially if you go from 50:1 to 32:1. Use good stuff in this application.

I highly recommend Red Line 2 stroke racing oil, I have a '11 KTM 250 2 st. and have been running this oil since I put the first 30 min of run time on it. I have never seen my topends as clean and scuff free as this bike has been, I contribute it to the oil. I also work for a dealer and ride park so I see alot of top end rebuilds and have always been impressed with the condition of the bikes running Red Line. Here is a link to it on their website http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=19&pcid=16

No matter what oil you run , you'll get carbon on the power valves, some oils will be worse than others. If you really want clean power valves, Leaded race fuel, even in low mix doses, eats carbon, like sand blasting.

I was a long time user of Yamalube 2R and was really impressed with it. I always ran it 40:1. Last summer I tried the Castrol TTS and I was really impressed. I have not tore down a engine and seen how clean it was, like the Yamalube 2R. But it ran good and didnt load up at all. I ran it 32:1, but will move up to 40:1 because I dont have to rejet. You can buy the Castrol TTS online for a reasonable price. I think you will like it. I stay away from anything labeled GREEN or BIOGRADABLE. Its a trap, they want to blow your engine, they hate two strokes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back