Mobil Super 5000 5w30 SN/GF5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hot off the presses from Blackstone Labs. I'm surprised to see no moly, but instead titanium.

Aluminum - 0
Chromium - 0
Iron - 0
Copper - 0
Lead - 0
Tin - 0
Molybdenum - 0
Nickel - 0
Manganese - 0
Silver- 0
Titanium - 36
Potassium - 0
Boron - 0
Silicon - 0
Sodium - 328
Calcium - 1686
Magnesium - 14
Phosphorus - 628
Zinc - 718
Barium - 0

SUS Viscosity@210 F - 59.5
cSt Viscosity@100 C - 10.09
Flashpoint in F - 420
Fuel% -
Antifreeze% -
Water% - 0.0
Insolubles% - TRACE
TBN - 7.7

COMMENTS: "This sample of unused Mobil Super 5000 5W/30 appears to be good useable oil. No wear metals were found, which is expected of virgin oil. The titanium is from a harmless additive that we have been seeing more and more in different oils. Sodium is also harmless additive, which is important to note since it could be mistaken for coolant in used oil analysis. Zinc and phosphorus are anti-wear additives, while calcium is a detergent/dispersant additive. The trace of insolubles is not a problem, and no moisture was present. The TBN for this oil starts off at 7.7 - strong."

Originally Posted By: 190E26FTW
I am curious what Titanium would be used for inside an engine? I know Kendall advertises Liquid Titanium.

Used for the same thing as Zinc and Molybdenum - as part of an anti-wear additive.

Holy sodium, Batman!

The old MC5K had about 250ppm sodium for most of it's run through SM, but towards the end it dropped off. Now it's back with a vengeance in MS5K!

Originally Posted By: Brons2
Holy sodium, Batman!

The old MC5K had about 250ppm sodium for most of it's run through SM, but towards the end it dropped off. Now it's back with a vengeance in MS5K!

Your just an agent of the foam!

This oil is $11.50 per jug at walmart, is is the cheapest brand name oil jug that they sell. I call it a bargain.

Just bought a couple jugs to run in the ecotec fleet.

OMG this looks like a rip off oil. Nothing that costs money is in the add package. Looks like a good profit oil. Reminds me of Valvoline oil. I know they have mystery additives that cannot be seen with human eyes. Thanks, was planning on using it.

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
OMG this looks like a rip off oil. Nothing that costs money is in the add package. Looks like a good profit oil. Reminds me of Valvoline oil. I know they have mystery additives that cannot be seen with human eyes. Thanks, was planning on using it.

I would like to compare it with some of the new API SN dino oils and see what those additive packages look like. I would bet that many of them had to change the packages around to meet the API SN spec.

A UOA is going to prove if this oil is good, I have yet to see one from this oil.

Titanium is not cheap, and the oil has magnesium which not all do.

Overall, not huge in any one area, but a well-balanced oil. If it had 2500ppm calcium, you'd be singing it's praises.

Originally Posted By: Brons2

Titanium is not cheap, and the oil has magnesium which not all do.

Overall, not huge in any one area, but a well-balanced oil. If it had 2500ppm calcium, you'd be singing it's praises.

Titanium Dioxide is very cheap. I believe it is a form of TiO2 that is being used in oils.

Too bad no Moly, but very nice TBN. There was a few jugs of the old M5K at Wally. Should've grabbed those too.

This new oil looks promising though.

Very, very suprised to see NO moly or B in the formula - Mobil has been making liberal use of them for years!

This new titanium additive is REALLY catching on, isn't it?

See Chevrofreak thread. Maybe it should be instead $
grin.gif
11.50 -$9.50? Makes you think we should check on all the oils we use, as maybe they have changed the formula. Hard to find out about PYB other than uoa here on BITOG> Website is outdated or not available. As I said before why???? They raised the price of moly, and boron seems to be hit and miss re. add packages.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Very, very suprised to see NO moly or B in the formula - Mobil has been making liberal use of them for years!

This new titanium additive is REALLY catching on, isn't it?

Don't know how reliable this Blackstone report is.. many have been suspect in the recent past (look at recent Pennzoil HM) cSt is off by .6 according to Mobil specs

So, Valvoline is no good?

Originally Posted By: Mark72

So, Valvoline is no good?

Valvoline is an oil that looks mediocre on a virgin oil analysis report, but returns good results on UOA's. Valvoline is apparently using some additives that don't show up on a standard used oil analysis report.

This Mobil Super 5000 might be something similar. Or it might not. Ask me again in about 4,000 miles, after I get my UOA back.

Quote:
Titanium Dioxide is very cheap. I believe it is a form of TiO2 that is being used in oils.

Titanium and Tungsten are the newest AW additives but are in the form of dithiocarbamates or DTC's, not the dioxides.

As ZDDP is reduced, you will see more exotic AW additives introduced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back