Do Aftermarket Brake Pads Really Meet OE specs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Quality is something everybody talks about when it comes to selling brake pads, but what does it really mean? Same look and fit as the original pads? No installation problems? No noise complaints? Same or better braking performance, feel and pad life as the OEM pads?

Original equipment brake pads are the standard by which most aftermarket brake pads are compared and judged. When an OEM manufacturer chooses a particular brake configuration for a vehicle and selects a certain friction material, the selection is based on a number of criteria. First and foremost, all new vehicles have to meet Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS). The FMVSS standards assure new vehicles can stop within a certain distance deemed necessary for safe driving. FMVSS 135 is the current standard and applies to 2000 and newer cars, and 2002 and up light trucks. Compared to the previous FMVSS 105 standard, FMVSS 135 requires roughly a 25 percent reduction in pedal effort for the same stopping distance.

FMVSS 135 says vehicles less than 10,000 lbs. (except motorcycles) must be capable of stopping within 230 feet from 62 mph with cold brakes (under 212 degrees) and with no more pedal effort than 368 ft. lbs. The standard also specifies a required stopping distance of 551 feet should the power brakes fail (no power assist), or if one of the two hydraulic circuits fail, and a stopping distance of no more than 279 feet if the anti-lock brake (ABS) system fails.

There is also a hot performance-stopping requirement for fade resistance. With the brakes hot, the maximum stopping distance for the second of two back-to-back panic stops cannot exceed 292 ft. with the same pedal effort as before.

The parking brakes are also covered by FMVSS 135. The rules specify conditions under which the parking brake must be able to hold the vehicle on both an uphill and downhill incline.

In addition to meeting FMVSS requirements, the OEM engineers who test and develop brake linings also have to take into account customer expectations for noise, vibration and harshness (NVH), as well as pedal feel and pad life. Luxury vehicle owners obviously have higher expectations than economy car owners, but both want safe brakes that will stop on a dime with minimal pedal effort and noise.

To make sure the brakes meet their engineering criteria as well as customer NVH and performance expectations, the OEMs do extensive validation testing before a vehicle ever hits the showroom floor. Friction materials are subjected to all kinds of laboratory scrutiny, including hot and cold environmental testing, humidity testing and salt spray. Dyno simulations measure hot and cold friction coefficients, fade resistance, pedal effort, noise frequencies, pad and rotor wear.

The data is collected and analyzed, and if changes are needed the friction material and design of the pads are tweaked to “optimize” them to the vehicle on which they will be installed. This is followed with extensive vehicle testing. Pads are installed on test cars and driven for tens of thousands of miles to make sure they actually perform as predicted. Only after the linings have passed a thorough evaluation, do the engineers sign off and approve the pads for production. That’s the gold standard aftermarket brake pads have to live up to in order to truly “equal or exceed” OEM quality.

The trouble is, not all aftermarket brake suppliers put their linings through such rigorous testing. Some do only superficial testing to make sure their pads look and fit like the OEM pads (same dimensions, chamfers, slots and shims). But they do minimal testing to evaluate how their friction materials actually compare to the OEM linings. They may only do a simple chase test to measure hot and cold friction coefficients in the laboratory, but no environmental testing or advanced dyno testing to verify all the performance characteristics of their brakes. Some aftermarket suppliers may test their linings on a few vehicles, but not on every vehicle application they cover because it’s too expensive and time-consuming. Others may not do any vehicle track testing at all, and simply box and ship their products while hoping for the best. Consequently, their “OEM quality” pads may be anything but.

The only aftermarket brake supplies who should claim “OEM quality” are those who have similar test capabilities to the OEMs, and actually do the same kind of extensive laboratory and track testing to verify their products. This includes verifying stopping distance, fade performance, brake system response, brake balance, noise and vibration, component interactions, brake life and rotor life both in the lab and on the road.

When selling replacement brake linings, therefore, your job is to recommend products that are truly as good as or better than the OEM pads they replace. Customers want the same performance, feel and pad life — and no surprises. Ask your brake suppliers what kind of testing they do on their products, what kind of warranty they offer, where their products are made and what kind of reputation they have with your professional installer customers. Asking the right questions can provide some eye-opening answers.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=89
http://www.autocarepronews.com/Article/4...oe_quality.aspx

The article is a bit old, but it is still true. OE brake systems (yes, that includes pads) must go through extensive testing on each platform and must meet FMVSS standards. No such requirements exist for aftermarket brake parts. So what are you really getting?

Interesting thought...I'll say this though, the aftermarket ceramic pads on my Volvo bite hard enough to engage ABS on dry pavement, are absolutely quiet (on a Volvo, this is a big deal...) and create no dust. They also perform far better than OE in the rain, but I credit the slotted rotors for shedding the water film quicker than OE...

So far (30K) they are lasting very well.

They cost about the same as OE pads from the dealer, but the performance is superior in every respect. I am not in the brake testing business, but I from everything that I can measure and compare, they're better.

Got 'em from Tire Rack. Akebono Euro, and from the Tire Rack site: Akebono Euro pads are approved for use by Audi, Mercedes-Benz and Volkswagen.

...I love 'em!

Last edited:
In many cases, you are getting superior quality over OE.

In some cases you do not.

Bendix p/n MKD 369 fits Chevrolet, GMC, Cadillac, and Dodge.
Is it a comprimise part? A part that is engineered to meet several different applications. Or did Delco/Remy provide the brakes for early Dodge Ram 1500s?
21.gif
I honestly don't know. But I do know that there are many brake pads that will exceed OEM pad performance and lifespan.

Some aftermarket parts are better than OEM. The manufacturers have found the shortcomings in the OE parts and improved on them. Some are made to a price point and are not as good. Caveat Emptor.

I'll say this, "Brake Best" branded brake shoes I bought from O'reilly for my hatchback were not right. The actual pad surface material's area was clocked more to 12* instead of closer to 9 and 3 o'clock respectively.

This has led to strange wearing for the replacement shoes. I have since bought Wagner shoes of a different P/N(the ThermoQuiet lineup) and they match what was recently taken off. Will report back if replacing the shoes again quiets brake noise/excessive grinding.

my wife's old 02 eclipse with the v6, chewed thru brake pads. dealer replaced them with an "upgrade". Those got chewed through as well, they lasted about 18months from the originals. the second set lasted 8, that's when I got tired of the squealing, poor braking, which it already had, and put a set of Performance Friction's on. The car stopped so much better, the aftermarket rotors (raybestos) provided the braking surface.
the brakes & rotors on my Saturn Relay lasted 3 years. i replaced everything with raybestos rotors and Monroe pads. You can feel the grip vs. the OE materials.
I've always had better results with aftermarket pads/rotors.
Some people will disagree,but in the end.. it really boils down to how you drive, where you drive, how you stop your car and what you do with the car (i.e. tow, climb hills, haul a lot of weight, more freeway vs. city etc..)

You get what you pay for. The OEM pads from my cars aren't that great, the high performance street pads I put on afterward does much better, then the Monroe I put on later makes it drive worse than OEM.

Also the OEM spec for Ford (no stopping power at all) is different than the OEM spec for Lexus (high perforance).

I have no problems using aftermarket brake pads. Some of the aftermarket suppliers also make OE pads. There might be some differences, but for the most part, I really feel that any brake pad from a reputable manufacturer will stop the car just fine.

Sure, you get what you pay for... and if you go cheap, expect lots of dust and a pad that doesn't last for very long. OE pads depend heavily on the application. Some are great, others not so good.

I'm a big fan of the Akebono ceramics I am using now and have no plans to switch back to OE pads.

I also am a fan of the Akebono ceramics. Just replaced them on a Silverado and they dust very little and stop maybe a touch better than OE.

I've never replaced the OEM set of pads on a car yet. The Fit is coming up on needing pads. Likely it'll see AutoZone Cmax Gold ceramic pads since those work excellently on my Buick. My experiences with those specific AZ pads place them well above other premium house-brand ceramic pads for dust, noise, and stopping power. My Buick sheds speed quite rapidly when it needs to with those AZ pads and EBC rotors on it, fast enough to engage the ABS on dry ground. That's much improved from the horrible "lifetime brakes" garbage it had on it when it arrived in my hands.

I can't wait to throw EBC rotors and AZ Duralast Gold Cmax ceramic pads onto the Fit, as the OE stuff is frankly awful for stopping. The pedal feels fine, except it doesn't stop worth a lick.

When your OEM pads are as terrible as mine, an upgrade.

Mine were recalled and replaced with something worse (Toy) and Honda pads are always lowest common denominator.

You get what you pay for when it comes to brakes. Usually when I get the most premium pads available at the parts store, I am satisfied with their performance.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
You get what you pay for when it comes to brakes. Usually when I get the most premium pads available at the parts store, I am satisfied with their performance.

Yeah, my dad has always cautioned against using low grade aftermarket.

He says to always at least get the mid-priced part or best of the aftermarket to be safer.

That general rule has helped.

Until you really stress the brakes, your really have no idea how well they work. Even cheap pads will feel good under normal driving, start getting them hot say down a mountain, or stop and go towing, brake pad fading starts showing up. Nothing is scarier than sudden loss of brakes from fading. I like either performance friction, or hawks. I'm going to order the Hawk super duty for the avalanche.

I caught some static here a few years back for making this comment, but I'll make it again. I've never come across brake pads or shoes that lasted as long as OEM, ever! Even after replacing pads along with rotors and calipers. One thing I'd like to add is this, my newest vehicle at the time of that statement was a 95 Chevy Caprice. I don't have my 08 Jeep long enough to comment but I have a feeling nothing has changed.

Last year my buddy replaced the OEM brakes on his Dodge Ram PU, the front brakes had 45,000 miles on them, he threw on new rotors too. 20,000 miles later the front brakes are toast. Auto Zone top of the line brakes were used. Flame suit on!

PS I've never owned anything but an American car, maybe Euro or Japanese vehicles differ when it comes to brakes. JMO

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
PS I've never owned anything but an American car, maybe Euro or Japanese vehicles differ when it comes to brakes. JMO

I've owned both American and Japanese brands, and I wouldn't argue with what you said. The more vehicles I own and the more experience I have with maintaining vehicles, the more I prefer using OEM parts. Even with brakes, I'll put ACDelco brakes on GM cars, Advics brakes on my Toyota/Acura, etc. They may not be the exact same formulation that the factory used, but they've still performed at least as well as a generic replacement like Bendix or Raybestos.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

I've owned both American and Japanese brands, and I wouldn't argue with what you said. The more vehicles I own and the more experience I have with maintaining vehicles, the more I prefer using OEM parts. Even with brakes, I'll put ACDelco brakes on GM cars, Advics brakes on my Toyota/Acura, etc. They may not be the exact same formulation that the factory used, but they've still performed at least as well as a generic replacement like Bendix or Raybestos.

I'm glad we agree. I've used premium, metallic, semi metallic, organic, ceramic, and any other name they can think of for a brake pad or shoe. I've never had replacement brakes, last as long as what the car rolled off the line with, not ever. Many car buff buddies agree with me, including two mechanics I trust and respect.

I changed front brakes, rotors and wheel bearings on my Aerostar used top of the line AAP brakes, and cheap rotors. Reason for the cheap rotors was at the time of the brake job I had over 180,000 miles on it, and we are at some point going to get rid of it. The rotors I replaced had over 100,000 miles on them and were better than the new ones. I ended up pulling the rotors and having AAP replace them. The second set was better but still not as good as the rotors with over 100K miles on them. In that instance I got what I paid for. But even with premium rotors, reman calipers, and top of the line pads, what the car rolled off the line with was always the longest lasting by far!!! JMO

Service life is not the most important criteria for me when it comes to brakes. I put performance, dust and noise above service life in my cars. Brakes are relatively cheap to buy and very simple to replace. If aftermarket pads give me better feel, less dust and less noise, I have no problem replacing them every 30-40K miles.

I feel the same about tires. I would gladly trade treadlife for grip and lower noise. 40K out of a set of tires for me is perfectly acceptable if the car stops better and doesn't howl at moderate speed when taking off ramps.

This is where the aftermarket shines. The car makers need to make compromised between conflicting customer needs and costs. The aftermarket can offer products that excel in certain areas by marketing to a specific demographic. If you want something really cheap that stops your car safely with little margin for error, you can get it. If you want something suitable for autocross, they have that too and everything in between.

Not to mention that the parts you get from the dealer in the OEM box are sometimes not the same as what was originally installed on the assembly line. I paid a premium for a Mopar thermostat from a dealer and found it to be identical to the Stant unit that sells for half the price. It was far different and inferior in materials compared to the factory installed t-stat that came out of the car.

Originally Posted By: pottymouth

Not to mention that the parts you get from the dealer in the OEM box are sometimes not the same as what was originally installed on the assembly line.

This is true. I remember going to Ford for front brakes for my E-150 years ago having the parts guy hand me Bendix brakes in the same box I could have bought from Auto Barn for half the price. I said no thanks. I only wish buying from the dealer would be the exact same brake or clutch part the vehicle rolled off the line with. In many cases it isn't.

Frank you could always get some severe service pads.They will last as long as OEM.They are made for commercial vehicles like Police cars and ambulances.
MA State Police garages use them to service the cars.
Look up a late model Police interceptor on Rock and check the brakes,they can usually be had for SUV,vans,and other cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back