1983 Toyota Cressida 5MGE - Mobil 1 10w-30 TriSyn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my 54 week run of Mobil 1 Tri-Syn 10w-30.
5 qrts. M1 10w-30 2/28/02 with new but very old stock "Sears" oil filter (PH8A equivalent). Total miles on 1983 5MGE (straight 6 DOHC with aluminum head) engine now at ~184K miles.

Drained and sampled oil 3/13/03. 1/2 qrt. of O'reilly's Dino makeup oil (either 10w-30 or straight 30) and 6 oz. of Neutra 131 added about 6 weeks before draining. Total miles on sample about 7-8k miles (odometer not working). Everyday short trips to take kids to school and back less than 2 miles round trip and 75% of miles in City driving conditions. Car is garaged most nights so morning starts are above freezing year around.

Lab results first column is current from Schaeffer's and the second column is my last analysis from a local lab way back in 1996 - also with M1 10w-30 on a 8K miles annual run:

code:

Current 1996

Copper 19 12

Iron 20 18

Chromium 3 3

Aluminum 4 5

Lead 17 36

Silicon 7 10

Moly 6

Phos 736

Zinc 829

Magnes 1325

Calcium 849

Antifrez 0%

Fuel N

H20 .0%

Vis cst 10.64 11.37

Nitration 33

Comments from Schaeffer's: Contamination and additive depletion levels normal. Maintain current drain interval.

I'm happy to see the viscosity holding up to a solid 30 weight. I wonder if the 6ppm of Moly means the O'Reilly dino makeup oil now has Moly? I would doubt it as this oil was purchased over a year ago. (O'reilly's is a chain of discount auto parts for those not familiar with the brand name.)
Glad to see the lead down to a more reasonable level as the 1996 reading of 36 was noted to be slightly elevated. This engine is very clean and I couldn't tell that adding the #131 made any difference. Overall looks like everything is OK to me but it would have been nice to see copper a bit lower. Other comments welcome.

Except for the copper-looks very good. Do you have an oil cooler? Possibly could be the crank thrust starting to go. Really time to change-oil is getting beat up.

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
Except for the copper-looks very good. Do you have an oil cooler? Possibly could be the crank thrust starting to go. Really time to change-oil is getting beat up.

No oil cooler so the copper must be coming from something internal. I've changed over to the Phillips 10w-30 PAO blend and will be interesting to see if the copper comes down in future test.

I guess copper is coming from cam bearings on top or crank/rod bearings below? Maybe this engine produces more copper like some of the Honda's that we've seen.

It looks to me like the calcium has been severely depleted here, it's usually at least double that amount for TriSyn.

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
I would say adding the 132 contributed to both the moly level and viscosity retention.
Would love to see the tbn and oxidation. 132 usually helps with that as well.

Molakule: I have enjoyed reading your's and others comments on the use of 132 and the discussion of it's formulation. However, I added the Neutra 131 not 132. #131 - if my memory is correct is a 20wt (8-9cst).

Patman + Satterfi: I belive that this would have been the API SJ (not SL) version of the Tri-Syn as it was probably purchased in latter half of 2001. I don't know if that would make a difference in the Calcium number or not. I did note with interest Patman's sisters Civic showing Calcium well over 2,000 after her 8K run.
dunno.gif
Have you noticed that the new Mobil 1 has a very significant reduction in magnesium ?

I really don't understand how the different additives are "consumed" or used during the oil cleaning/lube process.

I think now that the car is 20 years old I will start going to a Spring and Fall rotation with dino or a blend and see how that changes the numbers.
grin.gif

[ April 02, 2003, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: Cressida ]

I would worry about the copper and lead. Your oil consumption is very good for that milage so you must be doing something right. Have you always used the M1 10w-30? Have you ever done an auto-rx treatment? I am considering it for my Cressida at 250,000. I used castrol GTX and 3000 mile changes from 130,000 forward but I may try
a synthetic if I can get the oil consumption down.
It may be the valve seals as you have mentioned before.

Apologize.

Misread the 131 for 132. I was thinking this was the trisyn WITH the added 132.

I would have thought the 131 might have thinned the oil a bit, but it did hold its in-grade viscosity, howver, being an ester, it just mixed-in with the oil without thinning.

131 should have cleaned things up a bit.

I would say adding the 132 contributed to both the moly level and viscosity retention.

Would love to see the tbn and oxidation. 132 usually helps with that as well.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
It looks to me like the calcium has been severely depleted here, it's usually at least double that amount for TriSyn.

I think FT-IR can only tell you the total amount of elemental Ca. It can't tell what compound the Ca is in. It might be a bad test number.

[ April 02, 2003, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: satterfi ]

Latest updated sample:

Here is my 54 week run of Havoline Synthetic 5w-40 with ~8,000 miles. 5 qrts. 5w-40 2/20/04 with new oil filter. Total miles on 1983 5MGE (straight 6 DOHC with aluminum head) engine now at ~194K miles.

Pulled this sampled oil 3/07/05. 1 qrt. of O'reilly's Dino makeup oil (either 10w-30 or straight 30). Total miles on all samples about 8k miles over a full year. Everyday short trips to take kids to school - less than 2 miles round trip and 75% of miles in City driving conditions. Car is garaged each night so morning starts are above freezing year around.

Lab results first column is current Havoline 5w-40, second M1 10w-30 with third M1 from 1996:

code:

Hav. Snth. M1 M1/1996

Copper 23 19 12

Iron 16 20 18

Chromium 2 3 3

Aluminum 4 4 5

Lead 23 17 36

Silicon 13 7 10

Moly 27 6

Phos 911 736

Zinc 1296 829

Magnes 371 1325

Calcium 2496 849

Antifrez 0% 0%

Fuel N N

H20 .0% .0%

Vis cst 13.46 10.64 11.37

Nitration 48 33

Oxidation 34 0

I went with a heavier (40wt) viscosity oil to see if it would lower my copper and lead readings. Didn't work at all. The Silicon looks a bit high until I found a virgin Silicon reading of this Havoline oil here on BITOG showing 9ppm so I'm going to ignore it.

This engine is very clean and doesn't use oil.

I wish I could get the wear numbers in single digits.
worshippy.gif
but overall I'm beginning to believe these are normal type of numbers for this DOHC engine since the trend hasn't changed over the years. No oil cooler on this engine. Other comments welcome.

[ March 14, 2005, 07:02 PM: Message edited by: Cressida ]

I would consider either changeing the oil ever 6 months or putting more HWY miles on it. You might consider Mobil-1 EP seeing how it is designed for 1 year of service of 15,000 miles wich ever comes first. 5W30 or 10W30 is going to be the best choice more then likely!

P.S. You should consider buying a gallon of Lube Control! I think the incrediable harsh duty cycle you are putting this car through will benifit from it greatly!!!!

one thing is for sure. the high lead your getting hasn't killed your engine yet! maybe we stress too much about ppm. 22 yr old engine with 40 wt still kicked out high lead. I had 14ppm lead with a 3k interval two years ago. I just mailed a sample for the first time in two years to see how the lead is. but so far the engine still runs excellent.

This whole thread had me LMAO for at least 10 mintes last night!!!!!! I have to ask Cressida how did you arive at a 54 week OCI????
patriot.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back