2011 dodge ram 1500 5.7 engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up my new truck. I recently read an article that suggested that I change the oil and filter after 20 miles. What do you think about this idea? I have used Castrol Oil in all my cars for the last 20 years. Would this work in this engine/

Last edited:
Castrol makes a good oil, but you don't specify viscosity or type...what does the truck's manual say? How much do you drive? Highway or city?

I believe in changing out the factory fill after most of the break in is complete...about 500 miles. Drive it like the manual says for break in...no full throttle, vary load and speed, and for the brakes, no hard braking until past 200 miles...treat it right and it will last a long time...

FWIW - I am a synthetic fan, it's simply better in every way, but the question is more one of how you drive and what the manual says...

Nice truck! Enjoy it!!

Do they make 5w20 in GTX???

If it were me, I'd run Motorcraft, Mobil 1 (and probably 0w20 AFE instead of 5w20), or Pennzoil Platinum before Castrol. I've just always considered those the Xw20 leaders for various reasons. But that's just me, Edge is a very good oil and probably very underrated around here because no one can stand their idiotic "dipstick" commercials. :-/

I don't think it's necessary to change after 20 miles, engine manufacturing is far more precise than it used to be and there won't be any large chunks floating around in your oil. A lot of people around here do early changes though, from anywhere around 250-1000 miles. I ran my oil the full 3,000 mile severe service oci the first time, didn't seem to cause any issues and the first UOA I did at 20K came out perfect.

If your 5.7 Hemi has the MDS, you need to use 5w20. Castrol GTX 5w20 is a good option in a conventional oil.

I like to change out my fluids/filters on new equipment after some short break in cycle. That is dependent upon things like environment, loads, mileage, etc. Anywhere from 500 miles to perhaps 1.5k miles. I will then balance the next OCI out to where the first "normal interval" would be.
Example: OEM OCIs at 5k miles. First O/FCI at 1k miles, then 4k miles later, then every 5k miles. Keeps me at the OEM increments.

I presume you're posting in the HDEO looking for some miracle fluid that does not exist in the PCMOs? If you're going to follow the OEM OCI guide, then just pick a quality brand name PCMO within grade and be happy. The Hemi isn't known for any lube related deficiencies that I'm aware of. Stick to OEM for warranty purposes.

Welcome to the site, BTW!

Last edited:
I'd drop the FF at 500 miles. Since you're a Castrol fan, run 5W20 GTX for another 2000 miles, then switch it over to Edge 0W20 or 5W20.

There are a lot of members who think dropping the FF early is a waste, others like myself think it's a good idea. JMO

Enjoy the ride!

The new Eagle 5.7 is a monstrously powerful motor. Congrats on a great choice!

There is absolutely no need to change early. That's so 'old school' it's antique!

Follow the severe service recommendations.

Does the 5.7 owner's manual still have this break in procedure:

"While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration, within the limits of local traffic laws, contributes to a good break-in."

From my work place 2003 5.7 owners manual.

Quote:
I have used Castrol Oil in all my cars for the last 20 years
But Castrol has been through two owners (Burmah Oil from 1966 and BP from 2000) and six or seven different formulations (API Service Classification changes) in that time.

Nothing wrong with BP's Castrol oil, but I (1) don't want to give my business to a foreign oil company, and (2) I don't want to reward BP after the shortcuts they took caused the massive Macondo well blowout in the Gulf.

Run her 500-750 miles. Change the oil and filter. I would use the new Castrol Edge with Syntec 5w-20 and a good filter such as a Purolator Pure One, Mobil 1 or Bosch Distance Plus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back