Anyone using new Castrol Edge with Syntec?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am currently running it and my truck really seems to like the 5w-30. Can't wait until the Edge with Titanium Fluid Strength comes out. It's supposed to be good for 15k miles.

I've been using M-1 for 25+ years. I was doing a "mystery shopper" for a local fast lube and they didn't have M-1, but had the edge. I figured, what the heck and had them put it in. Never noticed a change over M-1

It looks very good. I don't think they have the new product data sheets out yet.

From what I understand, Castrol Edge with Syntec is simply a re-badging of Castrol Syntec, and Castrol Edge with Titanium is a re-badging of Castrol Edge.

Right now I'm running Castrol Edge (with Titanium, I suppose) in our '03 XK8, and it runs very smooth and gets great fuel economy.

I do have to add that the XK8 runs smooth and gets good mileage no matter what.

I just received a case (6 qts) of Edge with Titanium SN/GF-5 and a Wix filter free to evaluate through a Dyson DMW affiliate. All I have to do is fill out a survey with my impressions of the product after using. I'm trying to figure out which vehicle to try it in. I appreciate the offer and DMW benefit, so I want to give it a good test and evaluation.

As I understand it they are not just re-badged versions of their former selves. From the other thread it showed they were different kv 40 & 100 specs being quite a bit thicker At those specs.

Originally Posted By: shpankey
As I understand it they are not just re-badged versions of their former selves. From the other thread it showed they were different kv 40 & 100 specs being quite a bit thicker At those specs.

There are a few us that think the MSDS sheets where those specs are listed are wrong. It is the PDS sheet that we should be looking at, and at the moment the new PDS sheets are not up on their website. A very well respected member and expert in the Industry explained it to me like this: QUOTE- MSDSs often contain wrong data as they are prepared by HSE personnel who are more concerned with minimums and maximums, as opposed to accurate typicals. The data you provided shows a suspiciously mighty drop in VI. It will be interesting to see if the PDS, which is prepared by Marketing, shows the same data.

I would expect the PDS to be posted some time in March.........Stay tuned.

Originally Posted By: Hemi426
I am currently running it and my truck really seems to like the 5w-30. Can't wait until the Edge with Titanium Fluid Strength comes out. It's supposed to be good for 15k miles.

Edge is supposed to be good for 15K miles. The new titanium version doesn't change that.

Cool, looking forward to those. I'm actually hoping those are wrong. But I still doubt they are just re-badged versions as there is some mentions about some substantial improvements in their literature. All marketing speak aside, I'm confident there are some improvements to them in at least some ways. The fact they're re-certfiying the new formulas like GC and BC is at least some proof they've changed.

Originally Posted By: Big O Dave
From what I understand, Castrol Edge with Syntec is simply a re-badging of Castrol Syntec, and Castrol Edge with Titanium is a re-badging of Castrol Edge.

Right now I'm running Castrol Edge (with Titanium, I suppose) in our '03 XK8, and it runs very smooth and gets great fuel economy.

This is what I have heard... Just get's confusing when they keep changing the label. Ha ha. I guess they want to keep the label fresh for you to continue using their product.

Originally Posted By: shpankey
Cool, looking forward to those. I'm actually hoping those are wrong. But I still doubt they are just re-badged versions as there is some mentions about some substantial improvements in their literature. All marketing speak aside, I'm confident there are some improvements to them in at least some ways. The fact they're re-certfiying the new formulas like GC and BC is at least some proof they've changed.

It is my understanding the product has improved and was reformulated to meet new specs. It appears the quote I posted above is somewhat common in the industry, and makes sense. Other companies haven't posted their updated PDS either. In the case of Castrol it will probably follow shortly after the SN GF5 formulation hits the shelves in full force. I still haven't seen anything from them in SN GF-5 locally.

And how did you reach that "understanding"? If you read and believed what Castrol says about the changes, you would come to a different "understanding". There are changes between Castrol Edge with Syntec technology and the previous Syntec, with the exception of GC. Castrol Edge with Titanium has changed from the original Edge.

Castrol Edge w/ Syntec Power Technology (the former Syntec) claims that it "Maintained Maximum Horsepower 30% Longer Than Castrol Syntec" (the old version). It also meets dexos1.
I'm assuming that the older version didn't meet the dexos1 standard and a reformulation was needed.
PP, QSUD and M1 all met the dexos1 standard with their older versions.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan

This is what I have heard... Just get's confusing when they keep changing the label. Ha ha. I guess they want to keep the label fresh for you to continue using their product.

Both Edge 5w-30 products claim to meet GF-5 and Dexos1 standards (so stated on the new bottles at Wmart). Based on this chart comparing GF-4, GF-5 and Dexso1 I think any oil that meets both GF-5 and Dexos1 should be worth considering.

http://www.gf-5.com/gsuniverse/sitetemplates/gf5/SPIDER DIAGRAM.html

For those saying it's just a re-badging... it actually says on their web page right under each oil, numerous times in fact, that it has been 'reformulated' or 'this new formulation' and similar.

I don't think there's any doubt in my mind these are actually new formula's, or at the very least, improved formulations. On the Edge with Titanium, the fact they've added titanium alone would make it different.

As for GC and BC to the poster a few posts up. From my way of reading it, they are still putting GC and BC out as is with no changes, while at the same time, the NEW GC and BC are undergoing all of the lengthy list of certifications the old formula's had so the new GC/BC can still have all of those certifications on their specs sheet when they release it to the public. This makes sense as if they have a new formula for these two versions of the oil, they will need to undergo all of those tests again for which the current versions already meet. But not wanting to cut off their probably huge current userbase in europe and abroad of these oils, they have to obviously keep the current formulas still coming out while at the same time, in the background, getting certified the new formulas.

Those two oils in particular are popular and have a long list of specs they meet for various manufacturers. So what this means to me is, NEW formulas for german/belgium castrol are on their way and they will meet all of the old certifications the current ones have plus maybe some more to boot. This is exciting as heck to me! :p

Oh.. I was at Wal-Mart tonight and they have the new Edge with Syntec Technology there in 5w30 and 10w30 (also 5w20) in 5 quart jugs for only $21 so I bought 1 of each of the 30 weights. They also had it in quarts for $6.27 but I passed on those since the jugs were so cheap.

They also had Edge with Titanium technology. ALL of the 5 quart jugs were completely empty (3 rows, 1 for each grade) and all of the 5w30 and 10w30 quarts were baron as well (1 row of each) which just left quarts of the 5w20, which they had. Guess what, the quarts for these were the exact same price as the quarts of Edge with Syntec Technology... $6.27

But I'm happy with my score of a 5 quart jug of each 30 weight of the Edge with Syntech Tech!
smile.gif

B

I wish they'd get the PDS completed and up on their website. As I've mentioned before several of us feel the specs mentioned on the new MSDS sheets are incorrect and are going to differ from the PDS. At some point late March everything should be up to date and posted on their site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back