NEED HELP FAST BMW COOLANT

Status
Not open for further replies.
my over flow tank is crack, 2000 bmw E46 , I was in hurry and so seal it up with jb welder, and fill it a gallon prestone coolant, it crak again after it warm up, so i went to dealer and buy a new over flow tank, and install it tonight, some say i need to use bmw blue type, can I still continue using prestone coolant ? green type, wat do u guy recomment. i need help fast, tomorrow i need to buy coolant, thanks !!

You can use just about any coolant temporarily.

Just make sure you flush it ALL and I mean ALL out then run plain water for a day or less, then get ALL that water out - THEN pick a coolant type (BMW, Amsoil, even Prestone if it's not Dexcool type...)

Use BMW Blue coolant or run straight water with Redline Water Wetter until you can use their coolant. Dont use Prestone!! Not good for aluminum parts in your engine. I noticed you are in the MS so you dont have to worry about your coolant freezing as its not that cold in the south at the moment.

Last edited:
Why would you use prestone green? Im assuming that you are actually using this regularly, not just in the pinch after the item broke?

If so, it is wrong. Some AF may be better than none in a pinch (though in MS Id probably just use distilled water to drive it home then drain the system). Some AFs will cause solids to form (precipitate) when the wrond chemistries are mixed. Not good.

You should be using blue G48 coolant. G05 (MB/ford orange) may be an OK alternate, but the correct fluid is important. BMWs seem to run quite hot under the hood and so care should be taken to use the right fluids to prevent degradation of the system.

Good luck.

Go to Walmart and get the supertech all makes all color universal coolant,it mixes just as the name implies

I would go with what Pablo said about getting the old stuff out, then I'd follow JHZR2's advice on choice of coolant.

The e46 is a very reliable BMW but its weak point is its cooling system. I wouldn't take a chance with non-BMW coolant, but if I did, I'd go with G-05.

Originally Posted By: 40Deluxe
Go to Walmart and get the supertech all makes all color universal coolant,it mixes just as the name implies

You mean generic dexcool? May or may not be OK to mix with G48. I wouldnt chance it, if the OP has availability to get to a dealer and get the right stuff.

BMW OE coolant is G-48. G-05 is similar, but not exactly the same. My reference material has been taken down on this, but one of the areas of difference cited by BASF (I believe it was) is "plastic compatibility".

If there was G-05 on the shelf at the parts store, that's probably what I'd grab. I think there are plenty of people running non-OE coolant out there with "no problems". On the other hand, there's also "plenty of people" running around the 'net screaming about problems with the plastics in the cooling system. Since "plastic compatibility" is listed as a differentiator for G-48 - maybe there's something to that.

It doesn't need to have a BMW logo on it - G-48 can be sourced from other places for less $$. Around here G-05 at Walmart is ~$18, BMW OE is $22 straight from the dealer or $20 from a parts house. For $4 more every 2-3 years, I don't mind going to the dealer if I have to.

Last edited:
The E46 needs a a cooling system service (replace waterpump) at around at 75K. Overheating is catastrophic in that motor, so use all makes all models for now but a complete service is on the horizon.

At walmart the supertech antifreeze is advertised as all makes all colors compatability,if you do web search the general consensus is if it is still under warranty use manufacter type of coolant,once out of warranty use whatever you want,just flush completly before changing,such as going from dexcool to green coolant,ok to do it just get the dexcool flushed out good before the switch.I use the supertech in every thing,but i flush out completly then use it.

when u guy say flush, mean run new water in the radiator til it come out just water ?

anway i went to dealer and buy a gallon of bmw coolant, its 30 dollar -_-. I went home run water hose thru the radiator and take off the radiator plug at the bottem, and take off the pressure screw , and run water thru it, turn on engine til it water came out all clean.

I pour half gallon of bmw til it full mark. im thinking this weekent, I do a flush again with water i buy from store, then add bmw coolant again.

btw a little amount of garden hose water still inside the radiator/engine ok ?

Lived in Jackson 20 years ago. From what I remember, the water was "soft." If I planned to keep the car for a long time, I believe I would do a drain and refill with distilled water to get most of the tap water out. Be sure to turn your heater on full and give the car a highway cruise to circulate through the system. Then I'd drain the distilled water and refill with the correct amount of BMW antifreeze. You should find the cooling system capacity and then fill with antifreeze to reach the 50/50 mix.

By the way, "plastic compatibility" is very important on this engine. Known failure points include the plastic water pump impeller (on some models). The plastic tanks on either side of the aluminum radiator and the plastic housing for the thermostat.

If you are replacing the water pump, also replace the thermostat and vice-versa. Thermostats will fail open and be an inconvenience only, especially if you live in a northern climate.

I've been running dex-cool (orange stuff) in my M3 for a number of years now with absolutely no problems. For those that think it's bad for the aluminium block, my Silverado has an aluminum block and it's recommended. Plus, i like only having to stock one kind of coolant that is available at the local walmart.

If you want extra piece of mind for your e46 i would swap out the plastic radiator for an aluminium one since the plastics ones are notorious for breaking at where it meets the hose. Also, install a stewart waterpump and an aluminium thermostat housing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back