Honda S2000/PCX filter- bad for other engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the Honda 4cyl community it's very common for people to use the S2000 filter because it's made by Toyo Roki and is larger than the standard Honda filter size.

I came across specs in the various model service manuals and am wondering if maybe relief oil pressure settings are the reason for different filter sizes.

-F20/22c oil pressure: 36psi (idle) and 85psi (3000rpm).

-B and H have 10psi and 50psi. K is 10psi and 44psi.

-All have oil pump flow rate of ~62 qt/min, except K (57.4 qt/min)

So could the big oil pressure difference be why S2000 engines can run a larger filter since they can handle the pressure drop? I'm curious to know what oil pressures people get with the PCX filter on B/H/K engines.

Last edited:
Hi, I am one of those s2000 oil filter. The PCX-004 filter is no longer made by the Toyo Roki plant in Japan, The filter is made by Honeywell (i think) in the USA.

I like to use honda OEM parts as much as possible. But the new recommend oil filters for ALL honda engines are now a very tiny filter. Honda claims that the smaller filter actually raises the oil pressure by 5PSI.

The reason I choose to run the s2000 filter on my 2001 GS-R is the larger filter media capacity, and the fact that is not simply a rebranded FRAM filter like the new tiny honda OEM filters are. They have cardboard and sloppy filter media seatings.

I noticed no difference in performance, sound, oil temp. Between runing the filters.

Originally Posted By: OriginalRocket

I like to use honda OEM parts as much as possible. But the new recommend oil filters for ALL honda engines are now a very tiny filter. Honda claims that the smaller filter actually raises the oil pressure by 5PSI.

Hummm ... I doubt that, and would like to know how that's possible with a positive displacement oil pump with the oil sensor (most likely) located after the oil filter.
smirk.gif

I have used the 15400 PCX-004 filter for over 7 years on my S2000. It is a quality filter (Toyo Roki and Filtec). I don't know why it is recommended only for the S2000, but many have speculated. It has a decent silicone ADBV, a reasonably stiff differential pressure spring, and it certainly is larger than the other Honda filters. The can itself is rather sturdy too. Why the singular application? I really don't know, but Honda seemed to think that the S2000 needed a different filter around 2003. Thus, the PCX-004 filter.

Originally Posted By: OriginalRocket
That's quoted direct from my Honda dealers head master mechanic. I found it odd too. Still didn't convince me to switch to the tiny cans.

I have a '06 S2000 and I like to use the biggest filter that I can fit on the car and for my S2000 that is a Baldwin B7042. It's almost twice as big as the stock filter for the S2000.

ROD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back