Rislone additive, high mileage e53 2002 X5 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I use either M1 0w-40 euro or Castrol Syntec 5w-40. I am leaking (somewhere) about 1 qt in 1500 miles, not bad. I was reading reviews about Rislone oil additive in 2 flavors plain and Zinc. The reviews all speak of reduced or stopped oil consumption.

Would it hurt my engine any if I used it. One review mentioned the possibiliy of shortening the life of the Catalytic Converter. What do you think?

128,000 miles, engine runs great and no noises otherwise.

Which flavor would you use if...?

Last edited:
Why not try to fix the source of leak instead?

On your engine, the most likely culprits are either the oil filter housing gasket or valve cover gasket.

Aha. Oil additives are not recommended; neither by the manufacturers, nor by independent engineers/mechanics. Modern oils are a "far cry" from old ones. You need not $pend additional moolah on any of that stuff, old buddy!

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Why not try to fix the source of leak instead?

On your engine, the most likely culprits are either the oil filter housing gasket or valve cover gasket.

We have looked all over that engine and can not see an external leak anywhere. We did examine the valve cover and the oil filter seal. It's not burning any oil that I can tell. I'm the second owner and I've always changed the oil at around 7500 miles, the manual says 15,000 miles.
I the pcv system taken apart and serviced about 40,000 miles ago. but that is not a regular maintenance item.
I really don't know where all the oil is going. no oil spots in the driveway.

Originally Posted By: Blackdog
Hey, why dont you try some high mileage oil?? like Valvoline maxlife??

I have thought of that. But, BMW acts like if you use anything but M1 euro-Formula, German Castrol, Castrol Syntec, Motol, BmW OEM, Your engine will turn into a pumpkin.

Is high mileage V Maxlife good for a BMW engine. and is it good for 7500 oci?

Personally, I would much rather use high mileage oil (like M1 HM 10w-30/10w-40) than Rislone.

But at 1qt per 1500 miles, you really need to figure out where this oil is going... If it's not leaking, then it must be getting burned...

Here's a quote from the Bimmerfest forum about oil consumption.

"
Quote:
Oil consuming :
1.Bad CCV
Solution - new CCV ( winter version is better ) with all hoses
Additional factors
New dipstick design $$
Cleaned distribution piece

2. Compression rings are gummed up and sticking and not doing the job
Reasons :
stupid oil change every 15k miles under BMW warranty
stop-and-go on short trips
Solution :
Rislone in the crankcase ( 1 -2 weeks )
if no luck , heavy artillery - Auto-Rx in the crankcase ( 2 times * 3k miles ) with mineral oil

And then there is this one:
indicating Valve Seals
Quote:
From what I'v gleened from the reads around in different circles--the valve seals that are used on our cars are another spot where BMW sorta dropped the ball---I have checked my compression and am carrying 200lbs per cylinder--thats good--whats bad is if I take the vaccum off of the crankcase my oil useage starts up again--I can live with what I have as of now--thinking about driving her until real problems show up if any --then finding a 530 engine and make the swap--would like the extra power in the touring.

Where does the oil go when the valve seals wear out?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 190E26FTW
The oil gets burned or goes out the pipe when the valve seals wear out and drip oil into the cylinders.

Could it be possible, that over 1500 miles (1 qt/1500 miles) the valve seals could be leaking oil into the cylinders at a rate small enough that, you wouldn't be able to see any blue smoke out the tail pipes?

I'm thinking it might be in the valve seals since I had the CCV (crankcase ventilator, pcv in other cars)rebuilt/replaced at 40,000 and I'm told that is a 100,000mile life on that system. How can you diagnose the valve seals problem without removing half the engine?

I have read a LOT of threads where people have high oil consumption on M54 engines. Sometimes it's the CCV or a leak, other times a cause is never found. There's postulation out there that it is more serious, like valve guide seals and the like. There doesn't seem to be nearly as high an incidence of high consumption with the M54's contemporaries - M52, M52TU, M62, M62TU.

I know it's not helpful, but no amount of "stuff in a bottle" might fix this one if the CCV and external leaks have been ruled out.

Originally Posted By: GhostFlame
I had the CCV (crankcase ventilator, pcv in other cars)rebuilt/replaced at 40,000 and I'm told that is a 100,000mile life on that system.

Depends which CCV they installed. There are two types of CCVs out there, the original one and the cold weather one. The original tends to clog up rather quickly in climates that experience traditional winters (with freezing temps). I had mine replaced at around 55K miles and it was already clogged (according to the mechanic at least), even though my car spent the fist 45K miles in sunny Florida and only 10K miles in Illinois.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: GhostFlame
I had the CCV (crankcase ventilator, pcv in other cars)rebuilt/replaced at 40,000 and I'm told that is a 100,000mile life on that system.

Depends which CCV they installed. There are two types of CCVs out there, the original one and the cold weather one. The original tends to clog up rather quickly in climates that experience traditional winters (with freezing temps). I had mine replaced at around 55K miles and it was already clogged (according to the mechanic at least), even though my car spent the fist 45K miles in sunny Florida and only 10K miles in Illinois.

I meant to say 45,000 miles ago. so it was replaced at 83,000 with the winter version. I blew the valve cover gasket out of it the day after I picked it up at the dealer, used with 83k on the clock. They put the new ccv in free of charge.

Originally Posted By: Craig in Canada
I have read a LOT of threads where people have high oil consumption on M54 engines. Sometimes it's the CCV or a leak, other times a cause is never found. There's postulation out there that it is more serious, like valve guide seals and the like. There doesn't seem to be nearly as high an incidence of high consumption with the M54's contemporaries - M52, M52TU, M62, M62TU.

I know it's not helpful, but no amount of "stuff in a bottle" might fix this one if the CCV and external leaks have been ruled out.

Thanks based on the previous threads I've nixed the plan to use an engine additive.
I'm going to take it into my indie mechanic and talk to him about diagnosing the valve guides, the piston compression, the radiator, and have a look at the ccv.
I don't know why this is bothering me now after all these miles I've put on the vehicle(cuz it hasn't gotten worse since I bought the car) maybe I should just drive like it is and absorb the $40 of oil... I think mine may be a phantom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back