Feral Pigs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw about 3 hours of a very interesting TV show a while back called Hogs Gone Wild. It was about men that hunted and captured wild hogs [feral pigs in the USA], and if they got into danger they would stab the hog in the heart. If these things are so much of a nuisance and multiplying so much, why did they bother to tie them up and capture them to presumably release them somewhere else? I HATE these darn things. I'd like to see hunters put .44 Magnum slugs into the heads of these beasts.

FeralPig.jpg

Feral cats are getting to be a nuisance in Florida. These people lose their homes and just throw the cats outside. Its insane. I open the garage door and three run in the garage. I dont ever even let our cats leave the house. Iam about to start eliminating them. I could see how a much larger animal like a hog would be so much worse.

When we were stationed at Schofield Barracks, Hawaii, children were taught to avoid two things. Unexploded ordinance and feral pigs.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I am about to start eliminating them.

Please call your local humane about it.

I saw a show where they were in Texas and they were EVERYWHERE. I had no idea that these things were that big a problem.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Nasty little SOB's, aren't they?

They sure are, and they're all over the USA and even in Hawaii. Once they invade your neighborhood they destroy any outdoor life you may have had, and a lot more. Men break their necks capturing them. I guess it may have to do with not being able to fire a gun in city limits or something but in the country I'd want to just take these beasts out with a good rifle or even a powerful handgun. It doesn't seem as though a .308 slug would be anything they'd walk away from, if placed right.

These wild hogs are also hunted with Johnson American Bulldogs. Its quite a brutal process involving a handfull of these very awesome dogs that have been bred for this. this Brusier he is still a pup in this pic at 110lb he is 130lb now.

b212050f.jpg

Originally Posted By: Lurch
I saw about 3 hours of a very interesting TV show a while back called Hogs Gone Wild. It was about men that hunted and captured wild hogs [feral pigs in the USA], and if they got into danger they would stab the hog in the heart. If these things are so much of a nuisance and multiplying so much, why did they bother to tie them up and capture them to presumably release them somewhere else? I HATE these darn things. I'd like to see hunters put .44 Magnum slugs into the heads of these beasts.

FeralPig.jpg

Let them be. They don't bother anyone.

Originally Posted By: CivicFan

If you call tearing up crops, landscapes, lawns, killing pets, Lowering property value, intimidating people, making people afraid to go out onto their own property at night, threatening children, hurting humans, pooping all over the place, contaminating ponds and drinking water with anthrax, brucellosis, pseudorabies, tuberculosis, and other potentially fatal pathogens not bothering anyone, and there many other ways they bother humans that I can't think of. They can wipe out whole dairy herds just by pooping in their drinking water.

If I owned a gun and lived in the country, I'd shoot any/every one of these beasts I came across with no second thought.

They tear up gardens and cropland and they are dangerous, particularly for children.

I live in North Georgia and there are plenty of them here, even just outside city limits. If prepared right, they're pretty tasty when BBQ'd. One of my employees hunts them regularly, including occasionally wrestling them and tying them up. Dogs are routinely used. It is not unheard of to lose dogs to them, and guys have been killed while "wrestling" them. Not for me, though. Oh, my employee is a woman, about 130 lbs. She's tougher than most guys!

Originally Posted By: Lurch

If you call tearing up crops, landscapes, lawns, killing pets, Lowering property value, intimidating people, making people afraid to go out onto their own property at night, threatening children, hurting humans, pooping all over the place, contaminating ponds and drinking water with anthrax, brucellosis, pseudorabies, tuberculosis, and other potentially fatal pathogens not bothering anyone, and there many other ways they bother humans that I can't think of. They can wipe out whole dairy herds just by pooping in their drinking water.

If I owned a gun and lived in the country, I'd shoot any/every one of these beasts I came across with no second thought.

People on ATV-s do the same thing. Do you propose to hunt them, too?

The fact is that we live in areas that used to be home to a lot of wildlife. We are the invaders, not them, so we should recognize this.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
I keep getting flashbacks of Old Yeller when I hear of people hunting feral pigs with dogs...

That's funny. That's my 6 yr old daughter's favorite movie now. She watches it 3x/wk.

The fact is that we live in areas that used to be home to a lot of wildlife. We are the invaders, not them, so we should recognize this.

Actually, they are an invasive species. Some people back in the day brought them over from africa and europe. They're population is exploding here in east Texas. My Wife's family has about 800 acres of land that they grow hay on. The pigs can wipe out an area the width of a football field all the way across the land in one night. That is big $$ lost. They're dangerous, too. They can easily kill a dog/child/adult.

Btw, they've never had a problem with ATVers messing up the land. That would land said ATVers with a fine.

Last edited:

If they carried Anthrax and TB and threatened our water supplies it might be an idea.

I know what you mean. Maybe that's the view the men on the show take to these animals, and why they often tie them up and take them somewhere to presumably be released. It's illegal to take live feral pigs into other areas and release them, and this is part of the reason why they've gotten out of hand in some areas.

Bless your heart.

We're talking about the invasive species, not the ones that are supposed to be here. They're little guys called Javelina and there only a distant cousin of the nasty wild hogs. Javelina are a species to be conserved, and they are. Wild hogs have been hunted with no bag limit and no season in Texas for years to no effect. Parks and Wildlife has even tried to hunt down and kill large numbers with helicopters. The rule down here is if you see one kill it. There is no hope of eradicating them, we can only try to control their exponential growth.
Their food source is practically everything and they can go for weeks without water if necessary. They're like roaches, only they can turn your guts inside out if you get on their bad side. This isn't babe the pig we're talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back