2011 Hyundai Elantra vs the Touring version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2011 Hyundai Elantra SEDAN has been redesigned. Along with the styling, it has a new engine and transmission. Also, the 2011 sedan doesn’t come with a spare tire, but with a can of sealant and a pump (Now what is interesting is that the Canadian version offers the spare). I asked a salesperson about this and he said that Hyundai apparently did some research regarding this and found that people are willing to do without the spare to bring up the fuel economy. All I can say is if you’re ever had a blow out or a flat far away from civilization (And I can think of several close to where I live), you want the ability to change that tire than to wait and wait for a tow truck.

What is interesting is that the touring version hasn’t changed (which is based upon the previous design-2006-2010. You have the same styling based upon the 2006 design change and the older engine and transmission, but does have a spare.

This sort of shocked me that the 2011 version of the sedan was updated, but the touring version wasn’t. How often does a car maker only updates one portion of a vehicle.

So the wife and I continue our debate about what to get. Since it’s her replacement, she has a lot of say in it and prefers the elantra over the civic (She is also trying to decide between the sedan and the touring version). For me it’s a toss-up. I’ve been happy with my Civic, but Hyundai offers the longer warranty. I’m just annoyed about the lack of a spare in the sedan and how there has been no change between the 2010 and 2011 touring version.

Your thoughts and comments are always appreciated.

I like the Elantra and the way it drives, but the only thing that surprised me was how quick the options added up on it...

Hmmmmmm, I don't know much about the touring edition; it is the "hatchback" version? All the four door versions I have researched online come in either the GLS or Limited trims.

Overall, I have to say I am sold on the redesigned Elantra. I drive a Toyota Corolla and have always been pro-Toyota. However, if I were to decide between the Civic, Corolla, and Elantra, I would choose the Elantra Limited. It has a plethora of features(including leather seats!) for the money. I love the fact that it is capable of 40 mpg. I read that at 70 mph the Elantra turns a very low 2250 rpms; very impressive for a 1.8L engine. I guess the 6 speed tranny is due the credit there. Finally, the lines on the Elantra are very nice...the car seems to flow so well from front to rear.
Good luck in your car purchase decision; keep us posted!

I have the 2010 Elantra SE . I preferred it to the new 2011 Elantra sedan because it was a proven design . The 2011 Elantra may prove to be a very good vehicle design in time however I prefer not to buy a first model year release .

The Touring is really the i30 wagon wearing an Elantra badge. The last-generation Elantra sedan and Touring were essentially completely different vehicles sharing a drivetrain, at least to my knowledge.

I'd guess the 2011 is again not based on the i30 wagon's platform, which is why they haven't updated what we call the Elantra Touring. The Touring should be due for an update in the next year or two.

If you can wait, there is a 2012 Civic which will be launching very soon.

The Elantra and the Elantra Touring are two very different vehicles. If you do not need a station wagon's utility, I would go with the 2011 Elantra. The bumper-to-bumper warranty is 5/60k and that will give you plenty of time in the event that issues come up.

Originally Posted By: powayroger
The 2011 Hyundai Elantra SEDAN has been redesigned. Along with the styling, it has a new engine and transmission. Also, the 2011 sedan doesn’t come with a spare tire, but with a can of sealant and a pump (Now what is interesting is that the Canadian version offers the spare). I asked a salesperson about this and he said that Hyundai apparently did some research regarding this and found that people are willing to do without the spare to bring up the fuel economy. All I can say is if you’re ever had a blow out or a flat far away from civilization (And I can think of several close to where I live), you want the ability to change that tire than to wait and wait for a tow truck.

No spare tire?? That would be a deal-breaker for me. Because it saves on fuel economy??? There is no way carrying the exta 10 pounds that the donut weighs is going to make ANY difference in fuel economy. Drive around with your gas tank only 1/4 full and you'll save more weight than that. Or lose 20 pounds. Its cheapness, pure and simple. Its also more than a little intelligence-insulting.

The focus comes with a spare standard and it's available in both sedan and hatch bodystyles. And as an extra bonus a wagon is on the way next year if you can wait til then, that's my future car!

Originally Posted By: synthetic_crazy
... I read that at 70 mph the Elantra turns a very low 2250 rpms; very impressive for a 1.8L engine. I guess the 6 speed tranny is due the credit there. Finally, the lines on the Elantra are very nice...the car seems to flow so well from front to rear.
Good luck in your car purchase decision; keep us posted!

That works well on flat terrain. Bring on some hills and prepare for constant shifting, TCC unlocks, and near 4,000rpm surges up every grade.

I should qualify what I wrote: My basis for the shifting prediction is the 2009 Sonata i4 2.4L we have, with 5sp automatic transmission. Although it promises to be a nice soft cruiser, setting cruise control on the interstates here at 70+ mph results in this aggravating behaviour.

I must also add that when the speedometer reads 75mph the speed radar reads 71mph. Hyundai speedometer, on this Sonata at least, cheats by 5%, and no, the tires are not worn out or underinflated. Excessive overstatement of speed in my book. I can drive by those same radar posts in my i30 (the Nissan version from 1997) with the speedometer reading 75mph and the radar will is undecided between 75 or 74mph. Much more accurate.
wink.gif

Dumping the spare sometimes matters. IIRC there are EPA "weight classes" which for reasons I can't figure out really matter.

I had an Accent (jeez another hyundai) with this little skinny factory battery. Oddly the tray accepted a full size one and even had a tapped hole for the mounting bolt! Hmmmm...

If the trunk has a well, toss a junkyard donut and jack in there. This shouldn't be a dealbreaker.

Originally Posted By: powayroger

Since it is available for us (there is space to put a spare in the car), and the salesman knows that, you can talk him to include it in order to conclude the deal. That is an easy and almost free goody for him to give away.

As jmsjags said, don't forget to look at the new focus: Ford is back in the compact business, and its offer is strong: sedan, hatchback, minivan, all in many engines flavors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back