Royal Purple, Mobil 1, Schaeffers, Valvoline 75-90

Status
Not open for further replies.
In autozone and another retail store this evening and began to price 75-90. HUGE difference in the pricing of the following 75-90 gear oils.
Is Valvoline straight petroleum worth a 1$ more than coastal.
What makes royal purple about TWICE as much as Mobil 1 and Schaeffers?
royal purple max gear $18.99
Mobil one $8.99
Schaeffers 293 75-90 $10.76
Valvoline high performance $5.99
Coastal $4.99
Obviously base stocks come into play, but this is a LARGE difference in prices.

For the most part, Valvoline & Mobil's specs are very similar. Royal Purple's lag behind a bit, but what really kills it is the price, as you noticed. In terms of bang-for-the-buck, RP is pretty much dead last.

You can get super-high end Motul Gear 300 or Maxima Syn Gear for the same money.

I really think at least some of the reason Royal Purple is priced higher is to preserve its image as a one-cut-above oil. Just a suspicion, though.

I'm sure volume has a lot to do with it as well.

You got me to look at gear lubes again, thanks....
I went over to Schaeffers site and looked up the various gear lubes and I like #267 80W90. That stuff is hardcore. I used the Amsoil comparison sheet for data on other brands, and I think it would have wiped the floor with the exception of super cold temp performance being its a 80W90 blend and not a 75W90 synth.

RP is over priced in most national parts chains regardless of the product( oil, tranny, gear ). I use Maxgear and love it. However I pay $9-$11 a bottle.

9-11 for royal purple sounds to be more in the ball park. I was very surprised to see it at 18.99, twice [censored] much as the M-1.

I have some RP sitting at the house...got lucky and paid $0.50 a quart for it. Bought two 5-gallon pails, one 85w140 and one 75w90, from rBay a few years back...paid $40 SHIPPED each!!! That was one of those once in a lifetime things!

Around here RP is in the $15/quart range...but its also about the only boutique oil offered on the shelf (considering Amsoil/RP/RL/schaeffers boutiques). .

Originally Posted By: dparm
For the most part, Valvoline & Mobil's specs are very similar. Royal Purple's lag behind a bit, but what really kills it is the price, as you noticed. In terms of bang-for-the-buck, RP is pretty much dead last.

You can get super-high end Motul Gear 300 or Maxima Syn Gear for the same money.

Where did you find the specs you are talking about?

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
RP is over priced in most national parts chains regardless of the product( oil, tranny, gear ). I use Maxgear and love it. However I pay $9-$11 a bottle.

That is true, when I bought RP a few years ago at Pep Boys it was 10 dollars a quart and then sometime after that they raised the price.

I am not sure why its priced soooo high, but it has been a great oil in the two vehicles I have run it in.I have run it in both diffs on a 2007 Jeep Wrangler (which combined with the engine and T-case got me a consistent 2.8 MPG increase). Now I am driving a 2008 Tacoma, and I have switched the rear diff, T-case, and will be doing the front diff tonight (while I am changing the actuator) the engine is RP too. I know it costs more, but I like it and have had good experience with it. I used M1 up until I made the change to RP and like I said the mileage increase was enough to keep my business. Thats why I am here though, I would like to see what other options out there may do just as good with less cost. I really don't mind the extra cost if it is protecting the parts like it should.

Originally Posted By: salesrep
In autozone and another retail store this evening and began to price 75-90. HUGE difference in the pricing of the following 75-90 gear oils.

I don't think you can find a good 75w-90 gear oil for under $10

Take a look at Lubro-Moly 75w-90 gear oil. You can get it at your local Napa store. Check www.napaonline.com for a location near you. If they don't have it in stock, you can order it online and have it delivered to your local store for pickup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back