Craftsman, Made in China - Return It?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Boycott the Chinese junk and write them to say so. When they claim they have to do it to stay competitive, tell them that their practice just lost you to competition.

I started doing this, and most mfgs dont even respond lol.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: Greggy_D
I'm still ticked about an experience I had with Sears. I received a Craftsman ratchet set when I graduated in 1988. Made in the USA. A few years ago, the 1/4" ratchet gave up the ghost so I brought it back for my free replacement. The replacement was Made in China. The quality difference between the handles was night and day.

I asked for a Made in the USA handle, but they either did not have one or they would not oblige.

They lost a customer that day.

Keep checking back and see if a USA made ratchet shows up on the shelf?

That's so unfortunate. I would have insisted on a USA ratchet, or come back a different day too. But then, I do have backups that will do if one breaks- until I can get it exchanged.

Originally Posted By: Greggy_D
A few years ago, the 1/4" ratchet gave up the ghost so I brought it back for my free replacement. The replacement was Made in China. The quality difference between the handles was night and day.

I asked for a Made in the USA handle, but they either did not have one or they would not oblige.

They lost a customer that day.

There's something wrong with this story. All the CRAFTSMAN ratchets are made in the USA as are all the sockets (except for the black spline sockets). Were they trying to give you a different brand, or were you in Canada?

To the OP. Take the set back and get a USA made set of Craftsman tools. As someone else pointed out, you got a set made for the Canadian Sears store.

The Craftsman ratchets are USA made with very few exeptions. There is one black ratchet that is Taiwan and the lower-level Evolve line are made in china. But, you shouldn't bring a real Craftsman in and get an Evolve replacement.

ABC is running as series on made in China, and they said something like spending $3.33 each person per year on USA made parts instead of China made, would create 10,000 jobs. That is something to think about, it has real effects when we all buy the cheap tools. Good quality or bad quality isn't the issue IMO.

I stopped in Sears today (needed one of those springy things with the claws that come out when you press the button on the end). I saw a bunch of stuff marked with both the Craftsman and Evolv logos. This is something they never used to do, and it really muddies the waters for those looking to avoid the Chinese stuff.

Originally Posted By: css9450

I was at Kmart today and saw for the first time some packaged tool sets that had both the Craftsman and Evolv logos. Yes they were made in China.

That's a bad move for the Craftsman brand. A new budget brand for the "Made in China"/ No Lifetime Warranty tools was a good move. Mixing that image with the craftsman one is not a good move.

But not sure purchasing Kmart and keeping anything other than the Martha Stewart contracts was wise either.

Originally Posted By: defektes
People dont care, not even here.

It would be nice if we did, though.

Some will still run to china freight to save a couple of bucks.

And it really is quite tragic.

This weekend's sale circular has listed two 1/2 inch air impact guns on sale. The Craftsman is for $19.99 and the IR ThunderSomething for $199.99.

I never realized that Sears would have that kind of spread on a tool like this.

- Vikas

Originally Posted By: defektes
People dont care, not even here.

It would be nice if we did, though.

Some will still run to china freight to save a couple of bucks.

And that's why the market is flooded with stuff from China. No one seems to care, so manufacturers know they can get away with it. Many goods now, you don't have any choice besides made in China.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
This weekend's sale circular has listed two 1/2 inch air impact guns on sale. The Craftsman is for $19.99 and the IR ThunderSomething for $199.99.

I never realized that Sears would have that kind of spread on a tool like this.

probably appropriate - One for the homeowner who needs the gun once a year and one for the Pro who needs it several times a day.

The first socket set I bought in 1972 was an unknown to me brand made in the US. I still have it and it works better than later purchased sets, including Craftsman, that I purchased during the 80's & 90's. I work at Lowe's and can honestly say that Chinese ratchets are s**t. Lowe's Kobalt brand has many US made tools with lifetime replacement. Even the Chinese made Kobalt tools have lifetime replacement. And it's easy to replace the tools at Lowe's.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
The first socket set I bought in 1972 was an unknown to me brand made in the US. I still have it and it works better than later purchased sets, including Craftsman, that I purchased during the 80's & 90's. I work at Lowe's and can honestly say that Chinese ratchets are s**t. Lowe's Kobalt brand has many US made tools with lifetime replacement. Even the Chinese made Kobalt tools have lifetime replacement. And it's easy to replace the tools at Lowe's.

Whimsey
Thats assuming that Lowes will be around. They closed the one in my city overnight w/o any warning.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: Whimsey

Whimsey
Thats assuming that Lowes will be around. They closed the one in my city overnight w/o any warning.

Lowes' Kobalt tools are made by Danaher, the same mfg. as Sear's Craftsman and Menard's Allen brand.

The future of "medium" priced tools (i.e., Craftsman) will be interesting over the next couple of years.

Home Depot tried to establish a tool market with "Husky", but the Stanley provided tools are now imported and take up 4 feet of wall space. Lowes also failed with their original Kobalt made by Williams (a Snap On Co.). All of this in the last 10 - 15 years.

Now Sears is introducing Chinese made Craftsman (their professional box wrenches, and a few others).

Many are complaining that the Danaher made tools are dropping in quality. Companies like Gearwrench (Chinese Danaher)are introducing some very nice tools.

The future is bleak. Some wonder if Sears will survive. Buying easily warrantied, half decent U.S. made tools may become a thing of the past.

Always the optimist, I am not!

While the current move to third-world made tools may have measures of ensuring quality control, it is the start of a slippery slope. I have doubts that craftsman will be around for my grandchildren. It is an unfortunate forecast as one of my treasures are the many craftsman tools inherited from my grandfather.

The myopic vision of sears corporate is ridiculous as their evolve line could be used to sell the chinese tools. Willingness to dilute the premier name is bizarre.

After my eventual demise, I doubt the craftsman tools I own will have any brand recognition to my descendents. They will likely be viewed as generic, plain tools or worse yet ... junk!

How many American jobs have left the country in the past decade? What is it, 30 million or so?

I saw this quote some where and it is exactly right:

"The livelihood of American working families and our national economy depend on us creating a demand for WHAT WE MAKE. We live in a great country that has been built on the ingenuity and hard work of previous generations. Now it's our turn (and responsibility) to support American companies, small businesses and individuals who create the jobs that keep Americans working.

It's common sense.

It's very simple."

Take it back. Craftsman seems to have turned to total [censored]. I've got tons of craftsman hand tools and a mower that is over 10 years old. All the stuff is great and still going strong. Parents purchase a a craftsman walk behind mower 1 year ago and the thing is so [censored] wheels are falling off it, cheap bolt breaks off in muffler, thing rusting out yet it is stored in doors, stupid metal carb plate breaks off, on and on and on. The difference in quality between my parents mower and mine is just ridiculous. Craftsman has sold out.

If it has a lifetime warranty, I'd keep it. I've had some high-quality items from China. They may be the exception rather than the rule, but they exist. Can't speak to Craftsman tools. I hope they're not becoming "Carpman".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back