Holy bald tires Batman!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was walking by my car this morning and noticed the left rear tire was almost completely bald. Normally, I'm more attentive with my tires, but I guess I got lax with the cold winter weather and all and I just haven't been checking my tires like I normally do.

I checked my maintenance records to find out when I installed these tires. They went on at 159K miles. I now have 242K. The tires I have are the Kumho KR21, an 80K rated tire. I guess I got my 80K out of them, though these tires should've been replace several K miles ago. I found one other tire that has bald spots, and the other two don't look much better. I guess I need to keep a better eye on my tires. These tires have not been safe to drive on for several K miles now.

Next came the pricing of new tires. I usually get my tires at Discount Tires because they usually have the best price and their service can't be beat.

I want my replacement tires to be 80K-100K tires as I put a lot of miles on my car a year (25K-30K). Always looking for a bargain, I noticed DT has a mail-in $50 rebate on any set of four tires. I narrowed my selection down to two tires; the Hankook H727, and the Kumho KR22. Both are 100K rated, all season touring tires.

I called our local DT to find out about the availability of these tires. Turns out they don't have either in stock, but this worked out in my favor. I have always purchased entry level tires, well, because I don't like paying the premium prices premium tires demand. As it turns out, Michelin is running a special right now; a $70 rebate on the purchase of any 4 of their tires. I can also get the $50 rebate from DT, which makes the Michelin Destiny, normally a $95 tire, less expensive than either the Hankook or the Kumho. How can I NOT pull the trigger on this deal? I'd be stupid not to. I'm going in Monday to have them mounted and balanced. This will be my first set of premium tires....ever!

Last edited:
For you and your loved ones' safety, my family and I, and other motorists/motorcyclists/bicyclists/pedestrians just change those tires already.

I wish all states had a mininum annual safety inspections.
I'd hate to be behind you in light rain/snow.

I have been behind too many Ohio motorists with late model vehicles with bald tires, bottomed-out/wallowing up & down suspensions, rusted out frames, screeching brakes, hanging mufflers, etc.

If you want a a decent place to get tires check out Sam's Club. That's where I've been getting mine for the the past 10 years.

I would be OK with following him in light snow/rain...I could stop while I watch him wipe out...

It's the guys behind ME with bald tires that worry me...

Last edited:
I've had Kumho KR-21s and they certainly didn't last 80K.
I think they are more like a 50K tire (if alignment is good).

Originally Posted By: grampi
As it turns out, Michelin is running a special right now; a $70 rebate on the purchase of any 4 of their tires. I can also get the $50 rebate from DT

Are you sure you can get both rebates? My wife just got 4 Michellins there for her Acura and I thought she could get the $50 from DT or a $60 rebate from Michellin (Not both). If you can both, it's a no brainer.

Let me know if you get both rebates as I was looking at a set for my truck

I just got 4 Hankook Optimo 727 for the Forester (215 65 15 96H)and they transformed the car over the JUNK(!) OEM "wear out fast" bridgestones. They only lasted 50k. I paid $105 ea. installed at town fair tire. Had to get them quick since my wife destroyed one tire and it couldnt be patched or plugged (3/8" bolt!!!). I ususally get deals at DTD or NTW. I missed the $50 off michelins - though im not a michelin coolaid drinker.

... I'm going in Monday to have them mounted and balanced. This will be my first set of premium tires....ever!
Premium NAME at least
smile.gif
These would be a BF Goodrich made tire (if michelin didnt buy them out). Now if you got Michelin Pilot Primacy Fabrique en France for your mistress' Maserati Quattroporte... that would be premium.

- Let us know how the Michelines are - should do fine. Beware that a fresh tire will be "funky" for a month as they wear in and the silicone mold release bleeds off.

- What car is this for anywho?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
... I'm going in Monday to have them mounted and balanced. This will be my first set of premium tires....ever!
Premium NAME at least
smile.gif
These would be a BF Goodrich made tire (if michelin didnt buy them out). Now if you got Michelin Pilot Primacy Fabrique en France for your mistress' Maserati Quattroporte... that would be premium.

- Let us know how the Michelines are - should do fine. Beware that a fresh tire will be "funky" for a month as they wear in and the silicone mold release bleeds off.

- What car is this for anywho?

'99 Corolla.

If you can get both rebates to make final price of Michelin no more than Hankook or Kumho, then it is an outstanding buy. Usually the premium of Michelin is about 50%, or more, more than most other brands.

I had the Michelin Destinys installed this morning. Price out the door was $490, so after the rebates my total cost will be $370. I did end up getting both the $50 rebate from DT, and the $70 rebate from Michelin. Pretty good deal getting a set of Michelins for less money than entry level tires. Now I will find out if Michelins truely are better tires.

I put a lot of miles on my car a year (25K-30K). Always looking for a bargain

bargain in tires are low rolling resistance tires as saving in gas consumption can pay for the tires. Do a math.

For the amount of miles you got from those tires you are doing [many expletives deleted] [censored] good. I would give my right arm to have that kind of mileage from any set of [censored even before it was typed] tires.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, as the Greeks and Romans said.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I just got 4 Hankook Optimo 727 for the Forester (215 65 15 96H)and they transformed the car over the JUNK(!) OEM "wear out fast" bridgestones. They only lasted 50k.

Potenza RE92, I presume? Worst tires I've ever used!

Originally Posted By: Cristobal
For the amount of miles you got from those tires you are doing [many expletives deleted] [censored] good. I would give my right arm to have that kind of mileage from any set of [censored even before it was typed] tires.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, as the Greeks and Romans said.

I didn't give the whole story about the Kumhos. I actually got a little over 80K out of 3 of these tires. I had to replace one tire at around 40K because it developed a thump. It probably wouldn't have actually hurt anything, but I just can't stand thumping tires. They drive me nuts! For about the last 10K-15K one or more of the other tires has developed a shake. I don't know if was actually the tires themselves, or if they just became out of balance, but for the tailend of these tire's lifecycle they were pretty misrable tires to drive on. Yes, I got my money's worth out of them, but it wasn't pleasant.

Last edited:
Cristobal, keep rotated and balanced and you'll get big miles from any tire with a decent treadwear rating. I'm at 112K on my walmart tiger paw tourings. I'm still planning on replacing at 120K, but for now they have tread and ride like new.

Originally Posted By: GenSan
For you and your loved ones' safety, my family and I, and other motorists/motorcyclists/bicyclists/pedestrians just change those tires already.

I wish all states had a mininum annual safety inspections.
I'd hate to be behind you in light rain/snow.

I have been behind too many Ohio motorists with late model vehicles with bald tires, bottomed-out/wallowing up & down suspensions, rusted out frames, screeching brakes, hanging mufflers, etc.

If you want a a decent place to get tires check out Sam's Club. That's where I've been getting mine for the the past 10 years.

I can agree with this 100% although I think you missed the part where he mentioned getting new tires on monday.
smile.gif

I was in akron (77N@wilbeth rd.) for any locals

had a suv with bad tires stuck going up the hill,
a big cadalliac with baldies got stopped and stuck next to him.. (2 lane road each direction)

then some tard tried to pass on the wrong side of the road and I almost tboned him.
even with the winter tires going downhill@20mph its hard to get stopped when you have no one in front..
then some guy wipes out passing on wrong side of road and end up sideways in front of you.

the guy with 2 donut spares on the right side of his car and 23" rims with summer tires was pretty funny to watch too..

have to love ghetto cars lol.

Last edited:
I have to say, I haven't noticed anything special about the Michelins so far. Granted, I've only driven on them a few hundred miles, but I've always heard so much praise about Michelin tires and how they're so much better than any other brand. They're nice, but no nicer than any other new tire I've had. Maybe the difference will be realized as the miles pile up, because that's where the Kumhos lost their shine. Every set of Kumhos I've had tend to start becoming annoying over the last 10K-15K of their life cycle. Their wet traction gets bad, they get noisier, and one or more will develop a shake and no amount of balancing will get rid of it. Maybe that's where the Michelins will be better. Only time will tell I guess.

Last edited:
We did the double-rebate deal on the Destinys at DT, too. Plus, we got a $120 credit on the set of Falkens we had on the car, because they didn't make it to the stated treadwear warranty. The deal was just too good to pass up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back