Oil Weight

Status
Not open for further replies.
DTT is right. I don't know what they use for the race, but the only race qualifying oil I've ever seen was a 0w weight oil.

Perhaps the 5w is run during the race

You gotta remember a lot of the Cup cars have a dry sump tank located behind the drivers seat. So there is a 3-5 gallon capacity, maybe more.

They also dont run coolant, its usually straight water with some type of additive like a Water Wetter type.

Further - water has a higher specific heat than just about anything...glycols aren't even close...so for maximum heat transfer, pure water is best.

Not a good choice on the street...but for racing? Sure makes sense...

As long as the oil temperature is low, it will have high enough viscosity to protect the engine for one or two laps in qualifying.

0 weight? well they can afford to replace an engine now and then. BUT I CANT. i like a little thicker oil. and ill have the same engine while they replaced a dozen or so. i drive on the street to loose a few horses doesn't hert me. just cause someone racing guy does somthing doesnt mean i need to do that.

Originally Posted By: morris
0 weight? well they can afford to replace an engine now and then. BUT I CANT. i like a little thicker oil. and ill have the same engine while they replaced a dozen or so. i drive on the street to loose a few horses doesn't hert me. just cause someone racing guy does somthing doesnt mean i need to do that.

So you believe 0wt oils of the proper spec. will reduce the life of your engine?

I would imagine those engines have much greater oil pressures. Seeing they have external sump & scavenge pumps that look huge. They hold a lot more oil and the engines are frequently rebuilt. To me there is no comparison between road and race cars. But we all know that anyway.
smirk.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back