Polaris 2W-50 ATV oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been buying Polaris atvs, since 1993. Polaris has always had the goofiest weights and the stupidest names for their lubes. "angle shaft lubericant", is really gear oil for the front gear box. Polaris does this only to confuse you. As far as real riders and bench riders, well racers get most of thier high dollar lubes thru sponsers and the Daytona beach riders on the 50,000 bikes, they couldnt even tell you where the oil goes in them or what it is, if they can afford to pay that, they get them serviced. Real life here, I would not hesitate to put 15w40 diesel oil in anything, car, truck, bike, or quad. Its a stout oil, its for mixed fleets and its designed to be all purpose. I talk from experience and 15 years in trucking. polaris atvs are probably the easiest on oil of any of the above mentioned machines and to think you need anything more is just insane.

Can someone tell me how to check the oil in a Ranger 09 700 efi XP. The manual state to run the engine for 20-30 secs. Shut it off and check the oil. When I do this there's oil all the way up the dip stick. Its impossible to tell what the oil level is. If I let it set for a couple days and check it, it shows about 3/8 inch over full. That with two quarts in the crank case. If you check it according to their recommendations, how the heck can you tell if you're over filled or low. And if you check it a after allowing it to set for a period, does it always show overfilled even with the correct amount installed.

Last edited:
Do you remove the stick, wipe it off, re-install it and then check it?

Or are you pulling it out the first time to check after shutting down engine?

This might be reason why is seems slightly over full after sitting....
IMG-1.jpg

I follow your these instructions religiously. Even after allowing it to set overnight the next morning when I remove the stick there's still oil almost to the top of the stick. I wipe it and reinsert and do this repeatedly and there still oil nearly all the way up the stick. The tube is curved and apparently It take a long time for the oil to drain back into the pan. I called the service department at my nearest dealership. The guy said just put two quarts in an don't worry about. I suppose that the best advice. But, thanks for your advice and help. Have a great new year.

The manual on my grandson's Polaris Outlaw 90 says Synthetic 40 weight oil . Does anybody make a straight 40 weight synthetic ( besides the Polaris branded oil ) ?

Originally Posted By: tmorris1
I don't think I would use the 15/40 in a cold climate like Canada or MN in the winter. I would think it would start pretty hard.

Conversely, why would you need a 2W oil in the southern states?

Originally Posted By: revrnd
Originally Posted By: tmorris1
I don't think I would use the 15/40 in a cold climate like Canada or MN in the winter. I would think it would start pretty hard.

Conversely, why would you need a 2W oil in the southern states?

You wouldn't, I run 10w40 in my Polaris quad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back