Dodge Viper Dana 44 Rear - Pinion bearing going?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mission accomplished / problem found. According to the rebuilder, Dodge/Dana has a tendency to excessively preload the pinion bearings causing spalling in the bearing race. He's seen this type of failure in quite a few Dodge products.

Amazing how something so small can make such a loud noise. Time to reinstall and test drive.

Thanks for the replies.

b1.jpg
b2.jpg

Well, that would do it! Was that inner or outer?

I guy I know that rebuild many thousands of axle once said to me, "There's light, too tight and just right when it comes to bearing preload."

Thanks for updating. I've been checking back often.

Jim, It was the inner or the one closest to the gear. Here's hoping that this time is "just right"

Indymac, Good reference site. Bookmarked, thanks.

The inner is the one that takes a major thrust load as the gear is pushed forward under load. Similar sorts of damage is seen on overloaded truck axles that run hour after hour, day after day at high loads.

Bearing preload isn't that hard to set and get right... which leads one to wonder about the original assembly. I've toured a couple of Dana facilities and IIRC, the pinion preload is an automated process.

Next time, do it yourself. Here's How:

Diff Book

Thanks Jim, just ordered the book but from here as it was $8.45 cheaper delivered.

A few more shots of the damaged area under higher magnification:

bearing1.jpg
bearing2.jpg
bearing3.jpg

The burnout? Ha, not until spring and only before the new tires go on.

The best Viper burnout pictures go to a gal from England. There are better shots than this one (she does a lot of burnouts) but here one that I found:

Vs1.jpg

Same color and year as mine, but not much else.

Jim -

Just got your book! Terrific. Wish I knew about it a minth ago. A must have for anyone even remotely curious about differentials!

Thanks

yeah the 44a is a good axle but prone to be noisy, The jeep Grand Cherokee (ZJ)v-8's had the 44a. They were notorious for being whiners, wonder if it would be the same problem on them, id bet so. Most of those boys just dealt with it. We did find it better to switch to Redline or Amsoil 75w-140, so go figure. Glad you got your issues figured out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back