New ATV oil consumption problem with Amsoil 0W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: whitearrow
deer slayer,sorry to be so long on getting back at cha but i think someone helped me out.it is the shell rotella t 5w-40 synthetic hdeo.you can find it at your local wal-mart in quart or gallon jugs.you will be hard pressed to find a better motorcycle/atv oil.try it out you don't have anything to lose except what you will be out for the dumped amsoil.look at some of the uoa's on here of rts and you will see what i mean.

Thanks alot Whitearrow. One more question for you: Is this oil JasoMA rated? Because my owner's manual says I have to use this type of oil.

Originally Posted By: LargeCarManX2
The answer is NO! It's not a Jaso rated oil.

It is....or it's suppose to be according to Shell themselves:

Quote:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1090054&page=1
We recently ran the JASO MA friction test on Rotella T with Triple
Protection 15W-40, Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 (CI-4) and our soon to be
introduced (within the next 2 months) Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 CJ-4.
All three oils passed the wet clutch friction test. Rotella T Synthetic
5W-40 (CI-4) has more than 1.2% ash (JASO MA spec limit) so it can not
be classified as JASO MA. However, Rotella T with Triple Protection
15W-40 and our soon to be introduced Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 CJ-4 do
meet JASO MA."

If you have any additional questions please call us at 800-231-6950.
Thank you for your interest in Shell products.

Richard Moore
Staff Engineer
Shell Global Solutions (US) Inc.
Westhollow Technology Center, PO Box 4327, Houston, TX 77210, United
States of America

The Rotella T6 5w40 lists JASO MA as approved
http://www-static.shell.com/static/can-en/downloads/shell_for_businesses/oils_lubricants/1-52.pdf

yes slayer the new rts 5w-40 is jaso ma rated as per their site.the older rts 5w-40 was some great stuff.i just hope they didn't screw around too much with the new formulation and do any negative things to it.surely not though since now it actually says jaso ma rated.try it man it is good stuff and will keep that honda running for 30 years or more.

Thanks alot Whitearrow and Hitzy. that was usefull information. I went to Wal-mart last night and found the stuff and saw that the RTS 5W-40 states on the back that it is JASO-MA rated. I am going to put it in my ATV at next oil change which will be soon.

Appreciate all your help.

let us know what you think about the rts.pay attention to the wa that your 4 wheeler shifts now and compare it to when you change the oil to rts.are you using honda oil filters?that is what i use in my 1996 fourtrax 300 with the rts 5w-40.

let us know what you think about the rts.pay attention to the wa that your 4 wheeler shifts now and compare it to when you change the oil to rts.are you using honda oil filters?that is what i use in my 1996 fourtrax 300 with the rts 5w-40.

I will let you all know how my ATV does with RTS. To answer your question, right now I have Wix oil filter in there, but I have bought K&N filter (113) to put in next with the Rottella. I found it at Amazon for the same price that I paid for Wix at the local auto parts store. It should be good, sure looks alot better quality.

Originally Posted By: Deer_Slayer

I will let you all know how my ATV does with RTS. To answer your question, right now I have Wix oil filter in there, but I have bought K&N filter (113) to put in next with the Rottella. I found it at Amazon for the same price that I paid for Wix at the local auto parts store. It should be good, sure looks alot better quality.

I did change the oil in my ATV with RTS 5W-40 with a K&N filter. I really like it. My ATV runs very smooth and shifts smooth. But I did notice that it seems to be just slightly louder than we I had Amsoil 0W-40 in there, but it seems to run a little smooter than Amsoil, but shifting as smooth as Amsoil (which was not an issue with Amsoil anyway), but I don't think I would have any problem with oil consumption with RTS.

good to hear it bro.you shouldn't have any oil consumption on a HONDA.as you can tell i am a HONDA man thru and thru!they are all i have ever had and have had absolutely 0 issues with none of them.

No Amsoil for this guy either!

My Grizzly atv consumed it, my truck consumed it and my sled also consumed it(injector oil)

Each unit was switched to Yamalube and Mobil-1 and my consumption stopped.
I posted this in this forum a few years ago and I was surprised how many others had the same issues.

The thing is some Amsoil people disagreed with my findings, wrote it off as a fluke but they never did reply to the others with the same problems and they never offered any explanation?

There must be something to this? A number of guys on a King Quad forum report "oil disappearing" with the 0W-40 AMSOIL. Switching to another brand seems to correct the issue.

In all fairness to AMSOIL, Suzuki recommends a 10W-40 for most service, and a 5W-30 for extreme cold weather. Maybe the 0W is just too thin?

I had an issue with amsoil 0/40 consumption in my 03 warrior. Switched to other oils (mostly hdeo) and consumption stopped. The engine had been broken in long before I ever tried the amsoil. I tried it again last summer in my raptor 700 and had the exact same problem. Now I use hdeo only in it. I'm sure the amsoil would have given me good protection but I'd rather not deal with constantly checking the oil level when I'm riding.

I have a 2002 Rancher and a 2005 Rancher 420AT and they been using AMSOIL all their life. Both Ranchers are run to death by my nephews and have never given us any problems

My 2006 Honda Rincon 680 has used AMSOIL since 25 miles and is now at 3,000 miles and it has never used any oil.

Whenever I hear Honda ATV owners complain about oil usage I wonder if they are following the manual when checking oil? The engine must be run prior to checking the oil to get an accurate reading. Possibly what he thinks was full when he changed the oil was not? Just saying, lots of Honda ATV owners are unaware of the special procedure on how to check oil on the auto trans ATV's.

I know many get real defensive when someone questions their oil change and oil checking procedures but I don't believe its the oil.

Quote:
There must be something to this?

If its on the internet it must be true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back