API SM to SN....no real change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mongo161
I've notice an increase in the price of oil with the new SN introduction on Dino oils.

PYB has increased at some retail outlets that, historically, have high prices for everyday items.

I was in Walgreen's Pharmacy, waiting to pick up some Rx's, and wandered/browsed over at the oil section. I know that Walgreen's is not a place to buy oil, except in an emergency or if they are having an oil sale, but out of curiosity I wanted to see how much of an increase they have since they now carry SN oils for PYB and Formula Shell.

What an increase in price! PYB is now selling for $5.79 a quart and Formula Shell is $4.99 a quart. These are API SN, GF-5 rated oils in 05W-30, 10W-30 and 10W-40!!!

That's a huge increase since the clearance sale last August when you could get Formula Shell SM GF-4 @ $1.99 a quart. Once they ran out of Formula Shell you could substitute PYB for the same $1.99 a quart.

Holy Mole.....talk about major increases in oil prices.....I hope this is not in store for us when Wallmart, Advance Auto and Auto Zone run out of SM GF-4 oils and only carry the new SN GF-5 oils!

There must be some "synthetic" in the new formulation for API SN, GF-5, if the price has shot up this high! Or else the add packs must contain a lot more additives than the prior versions.

Yup..the increased price might actually cause people, including myself to drive longer on their oil when it still has plenty of life left in it.

I don't really know if there are major differences between SM and SN Dino oil's. I guess it is still too early to tell and the jury still out. We know that the base stock of all the SN oils have to be much better than those of SM for them to meet the new requirements.

As far as the SN synthetic oils are concerned, some have just started to make their appearance on the market so it will take some time for UOA's to be shown for comparative purposes. Time will tell if these products are better than the previous SM oils.

One thing is certain.....the price of oil, like everything else, will rise with the cost of producing the new formulation and the add packs once the current stock and inventory of SM oils has been depleted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back