The Cadillac of Oil drain pans!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had to share with you guys. I have been looking for a long time for a DECENT oil change pan and none I've seen/used yet met my criteria. Most are cheap, leak and simply are garbage. So, I found this one on Groit's Garage (I use their detailing products - love 'em!) and while it is expensive, is worth every dime! All the plugs have o-rings so no leaks, it is low profile, holds 8 gallons of oil and has wheels! I also got he form-a-funnel!

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/car+maintenance/oil+changes/low+profile+oil+fluid+receiver.do

Last edited:
Very nice. Having it on casters would be very useful, for sure.

I might have to put this on my Christmas list
smile.gif

I wonder how fast it drains. Ive had problems with the plastic kind with the small hole in the middle not draining fast enough and causing it to overflow. That pan looks like it has a big grate in the middle so it should drain just fine.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I wonder how fast it drains. Ive had problems with the plastic kind with the small hole in the middle not draining fast enough and causing it to overflow. That pan looks like it has a big grate in the middle so it should drain just fine.

That is precisely what happened to me once. My Audi holds 10L and has a monstrously-sized drain hole...needless to say I made a mess of the garage once. ONCE.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman

Good question. The drain hole under the grate (used to drain the filter and also lifts up) is really large and there is a smaller drain plug in the back to allow air to circulate so the oil flows in smoothly. I thing it'll take the oil fast.

Such a lowly filter in the picture
wink.gif

I've had several BAD experiences at work this winter changing the oil on tractors and snowmobiles where such a pan would have saved a huge mess.

But $70?! I don't think I could ever live with myself for such a purchase.

Originally Posted By: antonmnster
Such a lowly filter in the picture
wink.gif

I've had several BAD experiences at work this winter changing the oil on tractors and snowmobiles where such a pan would have saved a huge mess.

But $70?! I don't think I could ever live with myself for such a purchase.

I know it's expensive, but think back when you made that huge mess....bet ya would have paid the money then
grin2.gif
.. I treated that expense like a good quality tool. It should last my lifetime and be of quality. I've bought atleast 4 other types of drain pans and that was about $70 right there and they were all leaking junk. The casters on this thing are exactly like the ones on good office chairs or floor creepers! The quality is that good.

Oh, yeah that filter! I'm gonna have to email them...

Last edited:
nice piece

When you go to AAP to dump it in their55 gallon drums, be sure to wear your Sunday best-wouldn't want to be caught in anything less with that jewel

Steve

That is a very nice drain pan.

I have bought a couple of these:
Drain Pan
Always would leak at the big end for draining due to the plastic thread stripping out and not being able tighten enough. But the last one I bought at WM seems to have more threads and can be tightened sufficiently. I think they have been improved.

Any one use this one?

Originally Posted By: bryceban
That is a very nice drain pan.

I have bought a couple of these:
Drain Pan
Always would leak at the big end for draining due to the plastic thread stripping out and not being able tighten enough. But the last one I bought at WM seems to have more threads and can be tightened sufficiently. I think they have been improved.

Any one use this one?

Yes, I had one of those and it did perform well. It dripped from the pour spout, but otherwise was the best I had seen up to the Griot's Garage one I just got. I accidently drove over it while backing down the ramps and could not find another like it.

Enticing to be sure.

Potential cons:
- I would never trust it to not leak when loaded w/8 gal.
- Maneuvering above the aforementioned AAP recycle barrel with a full load would likely be a bumbling affair.

Nice concept but I think I'll stick with my open pan and plastic jugs...

Originally Posted By: RnR
Enticing to be sure.

Potential cons:
- I would never trust it to not leak when loaded w/8 gal.
- Maneuvering above the aforementioned AAP recycle barrel with a full load would likely be a bumbling affair.

Nice concept but I think I'll stick with my open pan and plastic jugs...

It won't leak - the caps are o-ring sealed. But, you're right the 8 gallons of oil would be a pain to dispose of all at once. I'll never fill it that far, but it's nice to know you can.

I got away from open pans because of the messy clean up.

One of the MD trucks at work has a 24l sump(MBE906 engine) and, because my drain pans are not large enough, I have always had to switch to a second drain pan in the middle of draining the oil and end up splashing oil on the floor and, sometimes, on myself.

So far, I have only seen the 56l large drain pans but they are just too big and unwieldy. This 8 gal unit seems like it will work for me and I will probably get one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back