Is Hyundai SP3 Still Only Safe Option ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put Castrol IMV in my sonata a few weeks ago and its fine so far. I noticed no difference in shifting. I'm hopeing it helps in the summer, when it gets hot and I am driving through hilly areas the car shifts incorectly when going down hills. I think its because the ATF gets too hot but I'm not sure. This may fix that problem, I hope.

Thanks, it takes a real man admit he made a mistake.
I've been using SPIII in my Kia for annual drain and refills. I think I will continue to do that until the warranty is up. It is not the greatest fluid, but my dealer gives me a break on case purchases. BTW, fluid was cheaper at Hyundai dealer than Kia's. You might want to call both in your area.

I've used Castrol IMV in my Isuzu and worked great. It is semi-synthetic, so it shears less and takes heat better than regular ATF.

Thanks UM - I have a Kia and Hyundai dealer almost side by side where the SP-III is basically the same cost . I ran the information from this post by my mechanic who likes what unDummy has to say - but advises me to stick with once a year partial changes of SP-III (to be safe) which I bring to his shop and he charges me next to nothing for labor and to check the AT out . For now , that will be my plan - especially in that under cooled Elantra I just bought .

Originally Posted By: silverrat
New spec for Hyundai. Maybe it will be take over SP-III.

There seems to be essentially no information on the SPH-IV specs on the Internet.

Valvoline claims their MaxLife is usable for it.

The SPH-IV is specified for cars with Hyundai's new in-house 6-speed transaxle that began showing up in late 2009.

That gearbox is not equipped with a dipstick, and Hyundai claims it is filled at the factor with an automatic transmission fluid that is good for the life of the vehicle. (Hmmm .... I think I have heard this before).

My guess is that this fluid has a synthetic base, a robust additive package, and perhaps like Dexron VI a lower viscosity to increase mileage. Hyundai claims a 12.2% increase in mileage over the previously ZF sourced 5 speed automatic.

Originally Posted By: Wilhelm_D
...ZF sourced 5 speed automatic.

ZF sourced? As far as I know, the A5HF1 has always been a Mitsubishi derived Hyundai/Kia unit. Never heard of it being associated with ZF at all.

Joel

Originally Posted By: Wilhelm_D

The A5HF1 was never used in the Azera.

Very true! I missed the vehicle in question; A 2010 Elantra, which should have an A4CF2 4spd auto. That unit is a derivative of the Mitsubishi F4A51 (like used in my Santa Fe).

Joel

I have a Sonata. I did a drain/fill recently, using OEM SP-III. Some of the comments in this thread are making me think I should flush with something like MaxLife ATF before the summer heat arrives. Am I correct in this thinking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back