Using ramps to change oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mechanicx
I've never used ramps and always used a floor jack and jack stands. Any serious mechanic or DIYer needs a floor jack and jack stands more than they do ramps. If I needed to raise the car to get to the oil filter or even the drain plug for an oil change, that's usually a good time to do a tire rotation. You can't rotate tires with the tires on ramps. Although, I can see ramps being easier if all you need is the car lifted to change the oil. I just never did it that way
21.gif

This isn't a discussion about whether one should buy ramps *OR* jack and stands. It's about whether you can change the oil on ramps, and you certainly can do so.

I have both setups, and use ramps whenever I have the option to because they are more stable and safer when used properly IMO.

my father-n-law needed to do u-joints. he had the ramps. the day before i offered to do it at my place, i use floor jacks and stands. but he said he has done this before. it was a 1971 plymouth gran fury, ie full size car, rear wheel drive. he didnt chock the rear wheels. the only thing keeping the car from rolling is the parking pawl on the rear of the trans. when he took the front u-joint off, it rolled onto him. we never knew how long he was trapped. after words i took the ramps to my place and cut them into small pieces. needless to say i dont like ramps. when i use foor jacks and stand i ALWAYS bounce the car before i get under it. i keep blaming myself, but i never get over it. PLEASE DO NOT USE RAMPS. what is your life worth? what is the cost of a floor jack, cost of stands?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: willix
This will not collapse.

100_1626.jpg
100_1669.jpg

No thanks i'll stick with my Rhino ramps
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Craig in Canada
Originally Posted By: mechanicx
I've never used ramps and always used a floor jack and jack stands. Any serious mechanic or DIYer needs a floor jack and jack stands more than they do ramps. If I needed to raise the car to get to the oil filter or even the drain plug for an oil change, that's usually a good time to do a tire rotation. You can't rotate tires with the tires on ramps. Although, I can see ramps being easier if all you need is the car lifted to change the oil. I just never did it that way
21.gif

This isn't a discussion about whether one should buy ramps *OR* jack and stands. It's about whether you can change the oil on ramps, and you certainly can do so.

I have both setups, and use ramps whenever I have the option to because they are more stable and safer when used properly IMO.

So this thread is only about having an opinion in favor of ramps lol? No one said that ramps don't work for oil changes but jack stands are just as easy and safer IMO.

Chiming in again, I have both DIY wood ramps as well as a jack and stands.

I find it quicker to pull out my ramps for fluid drains, but obviously you need the jack and stands for anything that required the wheel to be taken off. Maybe I find it quicker for ramps bc my jack is about 100 lbs and rolling it around is not very quick.

I think both ramps & jacks are safe if you used them correctly. Given you're not using scissor jacks or poorly home build ramps.

I used to prefer ramps for oil changes, because it's a lot easier/faster than jacks. But recently I discover I can do an oil change without a jack or ramp. I just have to blindly hook my wrench on the drain plug and break it loss.
grin.gif

I have a set of rhino ramps, and it is just too much trouble. I always have to worry about the ramps sliding across my slick garage floor when I drive on them. Not only that, I also have to worry about centering the tire on the ramp and worry about keeping the two parallel.

It is simply easier to use jack stands and a floor jack. As mechanix stated, an oil change is a good time to rotate the tires and check the brakes.

However, lately, I've been having the Nissan done at the dealer. They only charge $10 if I bring my own oil and filter.

Back in the 70s and 80s I never used to need ramps to change oil. Only when cars got smaller and I got bigger, did I need ramps to change oil.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I have a set of rhino ramps, and it is just too much trouble. I always have to worry about the ramps sliding across my slick garage floor when I drive on them. Not only that, I also have to worry about centering the tire on the ramp and worry about keeping the two parallel.

Totally agree with the Critic. This is exactly the problem I have with the ramps.

Maybe, I'm at fault for derailing this conversation, but my whole warning was that if you use the ramps ( or any jacking method) a back up for safety is always a good idea. Jack stands are cheap enough, saw a pair for $13 in the ads that I'm going to put them under the car as a back up in case the worst happens. Yes, in this situation the car is not supported by the stands, but its the same idea as when people throw the tire under the side of the car when doing brake and suspension work. The ramp is supporting the car and the stands are put under some crossmember or jacking point to hopefully provide a backup if the ramps fail.

I'd rather be too cautious, possibly wrong and alive than the other way around.

And to answer the original poster - Yes, you should be fine with the slight incline. Chances are we aren't getting 100% of the oil out with a regular change anyway. Most of us probably change our oil before the end of its useful life and as we can see, modern engines are inmost cases out lasting the life of the car.

I use a set of these.
folding-truck-service-ramps-4.jpg

I find them a bit steep to get up onto sometimes but it's nice to have the 2 in 1 functionality. Saves some space in my little place. My father used an old set of steel ramps for our family minivans for years. One day one of the ramps just crumpled shortly after driving onto it. He doesn't do any DIY anymore after that.

A few of you have asked me about my DIY ramps...

I had my parent's 03 Venture, 05 Malibu Maxx, and our 09 Accord on my DIY ramps over the past few weekends.

Some things I learned:

1. The ramps work pretty well and are plenty wide enough at 12 inches. A 10 inch wide ramp would suffice for most vehicles.
2. They can slide on carpet when the vehicle is going up a level or stopping suddenly. I might put some rubber on the bottom or place them on a more frictional surface. If I had not used polyurethane finish, this might not be a problem.
3. However, I'm glad I coated them with polyurethane. They're pretty tough.
4. The length of 48" is about the max I'd go. I was concerned the low end may flip upward once the vehicle is on the top board. They do a little bit, but max of an inch and only occasionally. No stability issues to report here. The only reason I was concerned was for the ramp to hit the vehicle, but that never happened.
5. The Malibu and Accord are pretty low and they road up them without any scraping.

Just my thoughts and observations.

DSC_1628.jpg

Are you worried about those cheap plastic ramps you buy at the auto parts store. This weekend we drove a GM Silver Sides bus up on a set of those ramps, put some jack stands under the bus, about 6 of them and did our fix. The plastic ramps held up just fine even though the duals hung over the side. No cracks, nothing. I think the bus weighs a bit more than a passenger car. It was either fix the bus or walk home.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
I'll bet everyone is in more danger driving to wherever they buy their oil & filter than using ramps.

Not for nothing but I have seen a ramp cave in. I personally would not trust plastic ramps without stands for safety.

BigMike,

Nice job on your home made ramps.
thumbsup2.gif

I bought a set of steel '2 stage detachable' low profile ramps from Griot's Garage about 15 years ago and all 4 pieces weight about 80 Lbs.

I used my Rhino ramps Sunday, I have the 12,000 lb pair. It makes changing oil a pleasure. I put jack stands under the vehicle to play it safe. The ramps work well, but as with getting under any car, safety and common sense are very important.

My drain plug is at the rear of the oil pan and the angle of the ramps is perfect for 2 of my applications.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Are you worried about those cheap plastic ramps you buy at the auto parts store. This weekend we drove a GM Silver Sides bus up on a set of those ramps, put some jack stands under the bus, about 6 of them and did our fix. The plastic ramps held up just fine even though the duals hung over the side. No cracks, nothing. I think the bus weighs a bit more than a passenger car. It was either fix the bus or walk home.

No, I'm not too concerned about using Rhino ramps. I have a set, but I'd much rather be on the ones I made. We've heard and seen examples of ramps cracking, though, but I've never personally had any issues with Rhino ramps. I can't really comment on any other brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back