2003 Monte Carlo tranny fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

My sons 03 Monte Carlo SS has 53k miles and I was wondering if you think I should change the tranny fluid. If so, which fluid would work best in this car? It seems to shift fine but this car needs to last until he is out of college and working...

I do not want to do this myself, so should I just wait until a local GM dealer has a special or take it to a independent?

I just want it done right.

Thanks again...

Last edited:
Independent and make them drop the pan for the filter. Jiffy lube likes to cut the cooler lines for a "flush".

Fluid choice is up to you, they will probably use generic "Dex3" which is fine but DexVI is licensed and an improvement.

I also would go to an independent or a dealer depending on price and reputations. I'd probably skip a chain unless you can be sure they do the pan drop.

Does your car have the 4T65E trans, I'd guess so. If so, just a pan drop gets a lot more fluid out than most other transmissions. Probably 7.5qts will get exchanged just with a pan drop. I've had good luck with mine doing this every 30k miles. I've been using Dex VI the last couple of years.

I am leaning towards the Dex V1 and going to a dealer. Will wait until I see some kind of special.

Do dealers flush or will they do a pan drop with a new filter?

I could do it myself but it is COLD here...

Last edited:
I think that you should change the fluid.

What the dealer does depends on that specific dealer and you have to ask them.
You can make the request for both: a pan drop/filter change, and then a full fluid exchange.

I've found that Mobil 1 ATF every 60K works great in my 4T65E...shifts are seamless. It's true that approx. 7.5 quarts (75%) come out with a pan drop and filter change. I use clear tubing thru the dipstick tube to siphon most of the fluid out prior to dropping the pan. It makes for a much neater (less spill) job.

I was actually thinking of just syphoning out the atf and replacing with Maxlife ATF...

I think someone mentioned that on this forum that I can get out about 4-5 quarts or so by doing this. At least I get some fresh atf in there this winter. What do you think?

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
I was actually thinking of just syphoning out the atf and replacing with Maxlife ATF...

I think someone mentioned that on this forum that I can get out about 4-5 quarts or so by doing this. At least I get some fresh atf in there this winter. What do you think?

53K miles on the car. Is this a bad idea? I know replacing the filter is important but I can maybe do that this summer.

Getting the filter isn't as important as getting new fluid in there. The 4T65 has a giant filter in the pan.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I've found that Mobil 1 ATF every 60K works great in my 4T65E...shifts are seamless. It's true that approx. 7.5 quarts (75%) come out with a pan drop and filter change. I use clear tubing thru the dipstick tube to siphon most of the fluid out prior to dropping the pan. It makes for a much neater (less spill) job.

Above is how I do mine, except replace the M1 with Maxlife ATF.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Getting the filter isn't as important as getting new fluid in there. The 4T65 has a giant filter in the pan.

You really like Maxlife ATF? It is a full syn, right? Is it comparable to Dex V1? Thanks.

You really like Maxlife ATF? It is a full syn, right? Is it comparable to Dex V1? Thanks.
It's mineral oil. BTW, why are you driving a chevy with the name boss302fan.

Originally Posted By: brian12

It's mineral oil. BTW, why are you driving a chevy with the name boss302fan.

The Chevy is my son's. The 70 Boss 302 is mine...LOL.

I do like how Maxlife ATF shifts in my Buick's transmission. It's been 20k miles since I flushed 14 quarts of Maxlife through there, and the shifting hasn't changed one bit. It shifts smoothly and quickly with no shudder. At least for my application, the Dex-VI shifted harshly after 10k miles.

It's supposed to be synthetic, although that fact isn't advertised very heavily. It's mentioned in the product PDF on Valvoline's site and on the bottle. http://www.valvoline.com/products/consum...ission-fluid/37 Then follow the PDF link. It does meet Dex-VI viscosity specs. I'm not sure if it meets the Dex-VI additive specs.

My 2 cents is that Maxlife is a very good fluid that worked better than Dex-VI for me. Keep in mind my transmission was spec'd for Dex-III.

Either are good fluids, and will be an improvement over what's in there currently. Worst case is you don't like one and try the other one after 5-10k miles. That's what I ended up doing, 3 months and $120 in fluid later.

You can extract from the ATF dipstick as much as you drop the pan, the only fluid an extractor can not touch is in the torque converter.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
You can extract from the ATF dipstick as much as you drop the pan, the only fluid an extractor can not touch is in the torque converter.

I've gotten out about 6-7 quarts from siphoning/pumping the pan. Only a little was left when dropping the pan after that.

If you do drop the pan, try to re-use the GM factory pan gasket if it's in okay shape. It's much better made than the trashy rubber or cork gaskets that come with filter kits.

I will syphon out what I can this week and replace with Maxlife.

I'll do a pan drop and filter replacement later this Spring when it is warmer outside... LOL. Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back