Best way to add Techron treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lately I have been thinking about adding a bottle of Techron to my car since I am at 50K miles, and I have never put any kind of fuel additives or treatments in it. My car has developed a miss that makes the car jerk back during steady crusing speeds at 55mph, but it only happens once or twice during a 30 mile trip. I am kind of stumped why it is occuring, since everything looks fine mechanical wise after inspecting it. I am hoping maybe adding a bottle of Techron could clean this up.

I know that it is reccomended to put in a bottle of Techron oon an almost empty tank, and to change the oil a short while afterwards becuase it can get nto it. My questions are

Should I use Techron, and then run the tank close to empty 2 or 3 times prior to chaninging the oil? That way its a good certainty that most of the Techron is out of the fuel system.

Should I also replace my plugs and fuel filter when changing the oil from Techron use? Is it possible that Techron can cause fouling to the plugs?

As you can see, I do not have much experience using Techron, or fuel additives or treatments for that matter.
grin.gif
Since I always use Shell 93 V Power fuel, is there really a reason that I should have to use Techron in the first place? I always thought the whole point of the V Power nitrogen enriched fuels was to prevent carbon buildup and to keep the fuel injectors clean, but advertising gimmics can be deceiving. Like I said, Techron is my next option at figuring out this miss, since I don't have any other ideas at the moment. So I appreciaite any help you all could give me

The top Techron fuel cleaner, Gumout Regane, or Redline Si-1 are all good candidates. I like to do it before an oil change just in case there is any dilution. I think it is unnecessary but a wise precaution. Just put it in a low tank fill up and drive. I wouldn't worry about rinse out tanks after it isn't anything super harmful just a preventative maintenance item on your fuel system. Yes I do feel it is a good thing even when running a top tier petrol. I hope that answers your questions sir.....

Last edited:
I too add a bottle or two of Techron either before or after my 3K services. The instructions on the bottle appear to need attention though. It's hard to pretty much empty a tank of gas and buy a bottle of techron for $15 bucks and then spend close to $80 bucks to fill it up. In the real world just add it when you can.

Durango

I'm not sure why there would be a need to change the oil after using something like Techron, Regane, etc.
confused2.gif

Originally Posted By: Bamaro
I'm not sure why there would be a need to change the oil after using something like Techron, Regane, etc.
confused2.gif

Bamaro,

Oil is different than gasoline.

Durango

They also make Techron in a size for 20 gallon tanks instead of just twelve. My local Auto Zone had the smaller size @ buy one get one free yesterday. That made it a better buy then the larger bottle. I see no reason to change oil after using it, makes no sense to me whatsoever. Unless your car is due for fuel filter & spark plug changes there is no reason to do so after running a simple fuel system cleaner.

there are some theories that the minute amount of gas wash you encounter with the oil can wash the oil down more so than usual with a fuel cleaner in there. Its nothing to worry about, but at the same time why not do it around oil change for a routine. And in the unlikely event it does degrade the oil in any way problem solved.

Originally Posted By: Durango
Originally Posted By: Bamaro
confused2.gif

Bamaro,

Oil is different than gasoline.

Durango

Obviously but except under severe very limited circumstances, why change the oil?

I add Techron concentrated Fuel System Cleaner/Gumout Regane concentrated Fuel System cleaner to my fuel at every fill up.

I have a empty 6 ounce bottle from the Gumout Regane Concentrate that contains 3 ounces of TC-W3 and 3 ounces of a combination mix of Techron/Gumout Regane. TC-W3 is a UCL and the Techron/Gumout Regane is for keeping the system clean....especially with all the ethanol in the Gas sold.

The way I look at it is this.....They don't sell Chevron/Texaco gasoline in my market area so by adding some to each fill up of 12 gallons of gasoline I'm getting the benefits of Techron/Regane.

I don't see any problems and stick to my regular OCI's. I would not try to schedule adding a cleaner for the fuel system around an oil change....why not use a cleaner, in smaller amounts, at each fill up.

To keep it simple, we use to recommend the customer pour in a bottle of REGANE at every oil change. Unless there is some strange problem adding the Techron or REGANE at the time of the oil change will not harm the new oil.

But, to each their own.

I use Regane regularly with no problems, was buying a bottle at Wally world one day and some guy told me that I shouldn't use the stuff because it ate up all the seals in his carb
31.gif
I just looked at him and said REALLY!!!
lol.gif

I tell people to get two bottles. Add one to 1/2 tank and drive it down to 1/4, add another bottle and fill it up.

Currently, I'm using about 25% Techron with my 2-cycle oil, every fill at 500:1

I add one Techron Cleaner (large size for 20 gal for my 18.7 gal fuel tank) before an oil change. I had a weird UOA and the tester said it MAY be because of the additive. So, if I'm going to get a UOA done, I don't use it shortly before an oil change.

Originally Posted By: Durango
I too add a bottle or two of Techron either before or after my 3K services. The instructions on the bottle appear to need attention though. It's hard to pretty much empty a tank of gas and buy a bottle of techron for $15 bucks and then spend close to $80 bucks to fill it up. In the real world just add it when you can.

Durango

Why would it be any more/less to do this than fill up a half tank twice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back