How to cut off metal studs anchored in concrete?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been doing some remodeling work in my basement which included tearing out a (poorly-constructed) room that had been built by previous owners. The footers of the wall structure were attached to the concrete floor by threaded studs that were anchored into the concrete. (The stud was anchored into the concrete and came up through the footer and was secured with a washer and nut.) The wall studs were attached to the foundation wall in similar fashion.

Now that everything is torn out, I have two dozen studs sticking out that I need/want to cut off flush with the concrete. Carpet will go over them on the floor and the walls will be patched with hydraulic cement and then painted/sealed with Drylok or a similar product.

Here's my question: Does anyone have a tip or recommendation on how to cut off the studs flush with the concrete?

A Dremel with a cutting disc comes to mind but I don't have a Dremel. Though my birthday is coming up and my wife is looking for gift ideas.

Originally Posted By: expat
Angle grinder.

+1. an angle grinder with a 4 1/2 in. cut off wheel is the ticket. You can buy then at any hardware store. HF sells the grinder for about $18 and they also have the cutoff wheels.

The angle grinder will work particularly if you don't mind little rough semi circles in the concrete around your former pins necessitated by the geometry of the cutting disc. You could also try a sawzall with a demo blade like "The Torch (tm)" which will flex on the floor and make a clean cut.

Use an angle grinder, and then patch any cuts/grinds in the concrete so you have a smooth surface for the carpet.

I've used a sawzall (Ryobi brand) for this on several occasions. Just get the longest metal cutting blades. Then lay the blade flat on the concrete, bending the blade up with the saw at a low angle. Works like a champ.

You can bust a 1/2 metal rod with a vice grips? Why not just kick them with a steel toed boot?
lol.gif
If you find a bullet in your venision stew do you just chew through it?
crackmeup2.gif

If you are REALLY frugal, buy a 12 inch hack saw blade (no frame), wrap 5 inches of it in tape for a "handle", then saw each bolt off flush with the concrete. The long blade will flex enough to lay flat on the concrete. Probably take 2 hours, several beers.

The angle grinder is the best and easiest method.

No one thinks a Dremel with a cutting disc will work? If I'm going to buy a tool, the Dremel would be much more versatile and useful (for me) than an Angle Grinder.

Originally Posted By: barlowc
No one thinks a Dremel with a cutting disc will work? If I'm going to buy a tool, the Dremel would be much more versatile and useful (for me) than an Angle Grinder.

Not even remotely. Maybe a die grinder with a cutting disk, but not a Dremel.

Having had my dremel destroyed by my brother removing 5 wheel studs (yeah, if it's not cutting fast enough, add more muscle), I'd advise against it.

Cheap angle grinder would be worth it

I think I might go the route of a reciprocating saw. I can either borrow one from a friend or might just buy one. The versatility of a reciprocating saw will make it a good add to my arsenal of tools and will likely be useful for future demo work and for trimming the trees.

I think I might go the route of a reciprocating saw. I can either borrow one from a friend or might just buy one. The versatility of a reciprocating saw will make it a good add to my arsenal of tools and will likely be useful for future demo work and for trimming the trees.

My wife pestered me for a long time to buy a recip saw. I didn't really see the need in advance, but once you have one a world of new possibilities magically opens up.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels

My wife pestered me for a long time to buy a recip saw. I didn't really see the need in advance, but once you have one a world of new possibilities magically opens up.
thumbsup2.gif

Yep. Maybe once every couple years I think about using the angle grinder. But it seems like the recip saw is always in use.

Both recip saw and angle grinder are great for exhaust work. But the recip gets on TOP of the pipe up near the floorpan.

Pro tip, the cheap HF recip saws are JUNK.

Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels

thumbsup2.gif

Wow, you need to hand in your man card :) Most husbands would be *thrilled* that wife is pestering to *buy* more tools!!

- Vikas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back