Very Soft Alternator Squeak

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Buick with 97k miles on it has a squeak coming from the alternator. I know it's the alternator since it was taken off of the car ~3 months ago when it needed to come off to access the belt tensioner. Rotating the pulley by hand gave a small bit of roughness and a very soft squeak on every revolution. Now it's squeaking louder when I let off the throttle. It's only audible from under the hood, not from in the cabin yet. The serpentine belt was replaced today, the automatic tensioner is reading fine, and it's still making noise.

Am I being a hypochondriac, or should I get it replaced before it gets worse?

Fixing things that aren't broke? (one way to look @ it)

If it will drive you batty, just fix it, otherwise no big deal

I had a guy do a tran D+F on my 1973 LeSabre and by the amount of metal in the pan said "It could last 5 miles or 50,000" I never had a problem with it.

"should I get it replaced before it gets worse?"

Why?
Give it a few weeks, then you can be really sure what the problem is.
Back in the day, we would just replace the offending bearing.

I love the inability to replace any part of it by DIY. They don't even sell kits.

It won't bug me to not replace it now since everything electrical works as it ought, and my voltage is fine.

If there is any roughness in the bearings, i'ts possible they could sieze in the near future. Siezed alternater = broken serp belt = tow truck. your gamble.

shop now to avoid paying higher prices later . On a g.m. alternator it is usually the front bearing from the pulley pressure. Find a good local re-builder in your area. They usually sell them for under $100+ core or will fix yours for $35-60. My dads allante which was a rare high output one only offered on a few cars was $95.
Stay away from big retailers rebuilds. They do not last.

You CAN get the parts yourself from many sources. A bearing is about $6 Try here.It is not that hard to replace.

http://www.nationsautoelectric.com/bearings.html

Last edited:
On/off throttle could be belt... Bearings otherwise. IMO best to rebuild from a reputable shop.

As others have said a bearing is trying to tell you something . Bearings may go bad slowly or it may get worse in a short time . A good rebuild should be able to fix it for you at a fraction of the cost of a purchased rebuilt and some of those are questionable as to the quality of work .

My GS has had the same kind of sound from the alternator for about 2 or so years. Wait till it stops charging, then replace the alternator would be my 2 cents.

Originally Posted By: beast3300
My GS has had the same kind of sound from the alternator for about 2 or so years. Wait till it stops charging, then replace the alternator would be my 2 cents.

That would be some time in the dead of winter about 500 miles from home.

Originally Posted By: chad8
Originally Posted By: beast3300

That would be some time in the dead of winter about 500 miles from home.

I ain't scared, I repair cars for a living. I will drive a 3 wheeled car. The GS fuel pump died at M.I.S. and I replaced it at a gas station.

I would replace it. An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure.

If it squeaking and that bearing seizes up u are gonna be stranded and it will probably happen at the worse time

I'll look into rebuilding shops around here. Any idea how long it'd be to get a rebuild done? Being without a car isn't doable.

I know in my area the local rebuilder can do it in minutes if he's not in the middle of someone elses.

Longest I've ever waited is half a day.

That is about right . If you call some of them ahead of time , get a cash price up front , show up when you say you will , they can have it fixed in minutes.. Here are the guys I use in the Detroit area. Call and ask for Todd. He's kinda snotty ,but you can pick his brain. He and his partner have 30 years apiece rebuilding electrical components. The shop looks like an electrical junkyard. I bet they have 1000 alternators in stock and more on the floor. Don't say your 1000 miles away. Just ask what you need to know. Kinda like the soup nazi.

http://rwstarters.com/

On the flip side I got a used jeep cherokee from auction at my work. It had been sitting and something in the alternator siezed. Yeah the belt made an awful noise but it was still driving the water pump (though it was going to burn up pretty fast).

I put a breaker bar and socket on that big nut inside the alt pulley, freed it up. It sounded a little angry for a while then calmed right on down.

The worst case scenario isn't always going to get you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back