Want to use Supertech 75W90 Synthetic Blend...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a 2006 Mazda 3 5 speed with 113K

It shifts fine and works fine but with the cold weather we've been having I want to put in some new transmission fluid.

I was going to go with the Motorcraft XT-M5-QS for something like $18 a quart (I need just a bit over 3 quarts so I'm picking up 4 to be safe/in case I spill.)

I was in walmart last night and saw they had 75w90 Supertech synthetic blend for $4.79 a quart. I'm sure between the two the motorcraft is a much better oil for the transmission however I don't do any extreme driving/racing/stupid stuff and just use the Mazda for average everyday use.

Thoughts?

Don`t get the Supertech. It`s not designed for synchronized manual trannies,but for rear differentials. Get a dedicated manual tranny oil of the specd viscosity. I`d probably just refill with the Motorcraft stuff.

Last edited:
The Motorcraft stuff works good for me. You might check out the prices of several Ford dealerships. I think I paid 4-5 dollars a quart for transmission fluid and around that for axle fluid. It pays to shop around.

This isn't a fluid you need to change very often - spend the money and get something you know will work well the first time. What happens if you put the Supertech 75w-90 in it and the shift quality is horrible? Do a little research - see what other Mazda owners like in their five-speeds. In the end the only practical difference one oil vs. another oil makes is how it shifts.

Also, there was a lawsuit against Wal-Mart and Warren Petroleum Products because of gear oil that was "off grade".

Don't skimp on transmission fluid, you only need to change it every 4-5 years, even if it costs you $30-40 more, the cost per 1,000 miles is almost nothing, less than a dime.

Read the Supertech label. If it has LSD additive, then don't use it. If it doesn't, you can run it for the 30k/3yr interval no problem.

If you're not happy with the shift quality, its $20 wasted and use a dedicated GL4.

11-16-09004.jpg

I took the picture from another post.

From the label it makes it sound like it's made for transmissions and based on the fact that it states for LSD's only use it as a "top off" that it doesn't contain additives for it.

For $4.97 I think it's worth a shot... I don't think the transmission fluid has ever been changed in it.

Originally Posted By: Paulson
I've got a 2006 Mazda 3 5 speed with 113K

It shifts fine and works fine but with the cold weather we've been having I want to put in some new transmission fluid.

I was going to go with the Motorcraft XT-M5-QS for something like $18 a quart (I need just a bit over 3 quarts so I'm picking up 4 to be safe/in case I spill.)

I was in walmart last night and saw they had 75w90 Supertech synthetic blend for $4.79 a quart. I'm sure between the two the motorcraft is a much better oil for the transmission however I don't do any extreme driving/racing/stupid stuff and just use the Mazda for average everyday use.

Thoughts?

When was the gear oil last changed?

No idea if it's ever been changed...

I purchased the vehicle with 107K on it... figured it's one of those things where if I open it up to check the fluid I'm guessing I'll be replacing it regardless.

Right now the transmission works fine however when cold it feels very stiff.

Label looks good. Worth a try. Another 75w90 usually easily found is Valvoline's white bottle.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Read the Supertech label. If it has LSD additive, then don't use it. If it doesn't, you can run it for the 30k/3yr interval no problem.

If you're not happy with the shift quality, its $20 wasted and use a dedicated GL4.

Paulson,
What does your owners manual recomend?
Does you OM recomend...API GL-5, API MT-1, SAE J2360, MACK GO-J, MIL-PRF-2105E(PG-2), as stated on the SuperTech label? If not, then don't use this fluid!
Unfortunatly, I have no exprerience with this fluid so, I can't make any recomendation.

Well, the ST Syn/Blend label does mentions that it can be used as a top off where LSD/Posi fluid is used. So, I guess this fluid is out of the question for the manual tranny in an '06 Mazda3. IMHO, when a label mentions "Top Off", this means top off ONLY(should the unit be a bit low on fluid). Not to be used as the ONLY fluid in the unit.

Paulson,
At this time, where you want/desiere to change out your MTF but, are uncertain about the correct fluid, either leave it alone or get the correct fluid. Or until you find out otherwise.

I agree with others that more research is needed before using the ST Syn/Blend. Or, just use the correct fluid from the dealer or other sources.

I did this same thing with my wifes Lexus which call for Toyota T-IV. I used the T-IV until I found/trusted another sutable replacement at a lesser cost than the dealer fluid.

Do your research before jumping into the ST Synblend gear fluid. You may spend the money on the ST fluid, not like it, and then have to spend the extra money on the correct fluid to make thing right!
Do it once and do it right!

Last edited:
The owners manual for a Mazda 3 5 speed is rather lacking in info (doesn't spec what to use, but lists the capacity.)

Every thing I've looked at states 75w90 GL-4

The supertech says it protects copper and bronze (so yellow metals) which is what a lot syncros are made out of. Also, right at the beginning it states it's specifically made for Manual Transmissions (you don't want LSD additives in manual transmission fluid and this says to use it only for top off in LSD applications... meaning it's free of LSD... not that it's only for top off only.)

I'm also looking into Motorcraft XT-M5-QS which a lot of other Mazda 3 owners are using (a lot use it with a few ounces of a Friction Modifier additive.)

Last edited:
Don`t waste your time or money. The MT-5 manual tranny spec is for non-synchronized manual trannies. You`d honestly be better off not changing it at all. What`s going to probably happen.......you`ll install the Supertech and your gears will all crunch/grind when shifting. Spend the extra $ and get the Motorcraft fluid *only*.

Don't add friction modifier to a manual. Foolish way to thin a fluid and think that its better, when it isn't. Motorcraft has three 75w90's that can be used without needing any additives.

Mazda recommends 75w90 GL4 or GL5, and 80w90 GL4 or GL5. Looks like that the Supertech meets what is required.

Amsoil Synthetic Manual Transmission and Transaxle
Gear Lube 75W-90 API GL-4 (MTG) looks like it would do the job for less than $18 a quart.

Synthetic may be a benefit in Minnesota. Remember that commuting duty is probably severe service especially for the transmission.

Doesn't sound like the car is ready for Supertech fluids yet even if they will meet the required spec.

No additives! Just get the right fluid.

Last edited:
The OP didn't state having an LSD. LSD additive reduces the chattering of a friction-type diff. I myself prefer as little LSD additive as possible to get as much LS assist. With the preload and torque rating of the Speed-3's LSD pretty much pathetic, I'd take a little LSD noise over lack of traction any day. The whine is the LSD working. Too much LSD additive and it becomes useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back