White milky goo on inside of filler cap

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always get a kick out of the fact the people who are adamment that there's a HG problem live in a climate where there is no winter. It's as if they really can't comprehend just how cold it gets in many parts of not-California, and that that cold might just make engines do weird things.

Anyway, I see white milky goo in my BMW, my Audi, small engines at work, and many other gas engines.

I don't like it, but it's normal. The valve cover never gets hot enough to vaporize it when it's 5F with a fan blowing on it.

At least in my case, it won't go away until spring.

I've seen in my Tacoma as well. Long plastic neck+ short trips in winter=white goop under the oil fill cap.
Tacoma forum on Toyotanation gets the same question about goop at least once a week in winter, it seems.

this is weird but i have noticed less with PP verses PU.
and the stuff is yellowish with PU and white with PP.

I have the yellow goo in the winter time to. At first I thought it had to do with the intake gaskets but after I replaced them and it still appeared I assured myself it was just condensation and not a mixture of both. In the summer time it goes away. Plus my engine is operating at a ten degree difference compared to the summer.

If the Tacoma is short tripped for a few days in a row, it shows up under the cap. The 2.7L is well baffled near the filler hole. Once I forgot to put the oil cap back on after a Oil change and drove it for about two miles and lost very little oil. Thankfully it was only the checking for leaks drive and not a 25 miles trip to the GF's house.

Come to think of it, it shows up in our snowblower too. On the bottom of the cap and dipstick, which is far away from the crankcase. No liquid cooling there to worry about. We don't drive our 4.0L mustang in the winter, so I can't comment on it.

my chevy truck 5.3l 150,000 miles with the elevated oil fill does this on cold months. not a [censored] thing wrong with the engine. steve

Most elevated oil fills do this. The cooler oil fill tube/cap become condensation points. Its nothing to worry about.

What year/make/model/mileage/maintenance-history truck is your brother looking at?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back