nitromethane

Status
Not open for further replies.
do you know that if the flash point of nitromethane was 4 f degrees higher, it wouldnt be flammable but would be combustible. thats why its hard to lite.

The_More_You_Know.jpg

Thats interesting.

The US Code of Federal Regulations 49 defines combustible liquid as having a flash point >60C & span> 60C. Any shipment remaining in the US can be properly described and labeled as combustible as long as it meets the flash point requirement. If at any point it is leaving the US it cannot be described or labeled as combustible.

I found the difference, in AU combustible liquids are not considered dangerous goods. In the US a combustible liquid is still on the Dangerous goods list in the 49 CFR and requires a hazmat declaration and proper labeling to prevent a fine.
Quote:
Combustible liquids are liquids that burn, but are more difficult to ignite than flammable liquids. They have a flashpoint greater than 60.5°C and are not classified as Dangerous Goods (whereas liquids with a lower flashpoint are Dangerous Goods Class 3 - [flammable liquids]). Combustible liquids are divided into two classes according to flashpoint, as follows:

C1 - flashpoint not greater than 150°C; and
C2 - flashpoint greater than 150°C.

http://www.deir.qld.gov.au/workplace/chem/dangerousgoods/faqs/index.htm

Its the little difference that make things interesting.

a big THANKS to TaterandNoodles see there if look and pay attention, ill learn alot. was the SAE a part of that?

What I have been posting is federal law. The transportation data used on a MSDS has to match what is listed in title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations otherwise a company can be fined under federal law.

http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/cfr-table-search.html#page1

The fire and subsequent explosion of the SS Grandcamp at Texas City, Texas in 1947 forced the US to look at how hazardous materials would be identified and handled.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_City_Disaster

There is a very good video of the Texas City disaster that is shown in the DoD hazmat certifier course. I believe it was a history channel piece if I remember correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes i have read about Texas city. i was scared just reading about it. i mix my own radio control nitro fuel, so iam always ready to learn about safety. thanks a lot

thats why the nitro drag boys mix a blend of 10% methanol to "light" the stuff. still has less btu than gasoline, but with oxygen constituting over 50% by weight, they can pump more into the cylinder for some serious "explosions". Some call it liquid dynamite. getting the fumes in your eyes at NHRA races makes you cry.

Originally Posted By: slickrick
thats why the nitro drag boys mix a blend of 10% methanol to "light" the stuff. still has less btu than gasoline, but with oxygen constituting over 50% by weight, they can pump more into the cylinder for some serious "explosions". Some call it liquid dynamite. getting the fumes in your eyes at NHRA races makes you cry.

i use to mix my own nitromethane fuel for radio controlled cars years ago, if i remember correctly, nitromethane has less than half the BTU (maybe even 1/3) but reequires only 10% (1/10th) of the oxygen to burn, so even though you need a lot more of it to match the same BTU of gasoline, it requires little oxygen to burn so you really can make a terrifying amount of power when you burn a high-nitro mix. which is why top fuel dragsters makes 8,000hp from a v8 engine.

"getting the fumes in your eyes at NHRA races makes you cry." one time i made the mistake of standing to close to a top fuel car in the pits. i never moved so fast. the noise cant be discribed. it is very close to being the loudest thing on earth.

Originally Posted By: slickrick

and pulls the oxgen right out of your lungs

comercial jet engines around around 140-150db. the saturn V rocket was 180-200. most powerful machine man has created, and loudest. however im the the epicenter of a nuclear explosion would top all of those but there dont seem to be many around that can tell us about that.

I thought that everyone knew that an angry wife/mother was the loudest thing on earth. Perhaps that's just for sustained sound...

top fuel dragsters - loud for 5 seconds
saturn v rocket - loud for a minute
angry woman - loud for an excessive amount of time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back