Mobil one 5-20, vs. mobil one 0-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know 0 weight will flow better so we don't need to go there.

Other then one being 0 weight and one being 5 weight are there any differences in the makeup of these two oils?

As for the formulation, there are no doubt a little differance. As someone that is using both 0-20 and 5-20 I see no real differance in the day to day operation of the engines. I do know the EP I use holds up very well for long drains, and I have complete confidence in the 0-20 to do the same.

Its been SPECULATED (hands waving furiously) that the M1 0wXX oils have a higher VI base stock and are therefore possibly more shear-stable than their 5wXX counterparts.

I would also speculate that 5w20 EP is better suited to long (10k mile plus) drain intervals than 0w20AFE, although my own runs of 0w30 AFE look like they've got life left at 7000 miles.

Is that enough weasel words for one post? I think so :)

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Its been SPECULATED (hands waving furiously) that the M1 0wXX oils have a higher VI base stock and are therefore possibly more shear-stable than their 5wXX counterparts.

I would also speculate that 5w20 EP is better suited to long (10k mile plus) drain intervals than 0w20AFE, although my own runs of 0w30 AFE look like they've got life left at 7000 miles.

Is that enough weasel words for one post? I think so :)

That's what I was trying to find information on the speculation the 0 was stouter then the 5 weight. I don't do long drain intervals but I do run my 5.7 hemi pretty hard.

Originally Posted By: tig1
As for the formulation, there are no doubt a little differance. As someone that is using both 0-20 and 5-20 I see no real differance in the day to day operation of the engines. I do know the EP I use holds up very well for long drains, and I have complete confidence in the 0-20 to do the same.

Thanks for the reply, any information on the different formulations between the two.

This is just theory, I have no proof of this, but I believe the AFE 0W-20 uses a little better base stock and additive package than the regular Mobil 1 5W-20. I ran it in my wife's Honda last winter and was extremely pleased with it. I would have used it again this winter, but I had a good stock of Pennzoil Ultra I bought on a Walmart close out.

I believe both of their AFE oils are excellent products and am very impressed with their EP line of oils.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
This is just theory, I have no proof of this, but I believe the AFE 0W-20 uses a little better base stock and additive package than the regular Mobil 1 5W-20. I ran it in my wife's Honda last winter and was extremely pleased with it. I would have used it again this winter, but I had a good stock of Pennzoil Ultra I bought on a Walmart close out.

I believe both of their AFE oils are excellent products and am very impressed with their EP line of oils.

Since I'm an old guy that still hot rods around I'm looking for the most robust oil for my driving type and not break the bank too.

Originally Posted By: pwr2tow
Originally Posted By: tig1

Thanks for the reply, any information on the different formulations between the two.

I guess only XM knows the differance. What ever you decide to use will give you excellant service. By the way, it was Johnny that persuaded me to go to 20WT oils. Glad I took his advise.
thankyou2.gif

Last edited:
A big point that's being missed here is that you should look at the PDS info of the two oils to make an informed choice.

The 5W-20 is a considerably thicker oil, in fact it's one of the thickest 20wt oils on the market with it's HTHS vis of 2.77cP. It also not surprisingly has a lower VI (163) to M1 0W-20.
I wouldn't choose to use M1 5W-20 in any specified 20wt application as it is heavier than necessary. It would be good in a HM 20wt application though.

Since you're located in the "frozen north", at extreme cold temp's nothing is lighter than M1 0W-20 with it's MRV of 10,400cP.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
A big point that's being missed here is that you should look at the PDS info of the two oils to make an informed choice.

The 5W-20 is a considerably thicker oil, in fact it's one of the thickest 20wt oils on the market with it's HTHS vis of 2.77cP. It also not surprisingly has a lower VI (163) to M1 0W-20.
I wouldn't choose to use M1 5W-20 in any specified 20wt application as it is heavier than necessary. It would be good in a HM 20wt application though.

Since you're located in the "frozen north", at extreme cold temp's nothing is lighter than M1 0W-20 with it's MRV of 10,400cP.

thumbsup2.gif

So,then,you know better than the engineers that built,and the company that warrants,the car? I'm sure any synthetic,in the oem spec,is fine.

This thread goes to the heart of a decision I will need to make. Right now my wife's 07 Camry has 0W20. It goes out of warranty very shortly and I'm planning 7500 ocis. I'm trying to decide between 0W20 (either M1 or Toyota) and M1EP 5W20. I know that any of the choices is overkill, but I am making progress. Before finding BITOG, it was M1 every 5-6K.

I'd stick with the 0W-20 grade.
In your climate lower VI M1 0W-20 will be heavier than the EOM made Toyota Brand 0W-20 but we're splitting hairs. Your could also consider Castrol Edge 0W-20 which is a low viscosity, high VI oil similar to the Toyota oil.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
So,then,you know better than the engineers that built,and the company that warrants,the car? I'm sure any synthetic,in the oem spec,is fine.

No, but I do know when a OEM spec's a 20wt oil, a HTHS vis of 2.6cP is what's expected; that's the viscosity of 95% of that grade. Consiquently M1 0W-20 (HTHS 2.6cP) is a better fit to M1 5W-20 (HTHS 2.77cP) regardless of the SAE grade on the bottle.

No, but I do know when a OEM spec's a 20wt oil, a HTHS vis of 2.6cP is what's expected; that's the viscosity of 95% of that grade. Consiquently M1 0W-20 (HTHS 2.6cP) is a better fit to M1 5W-20 (HTHS 2.77cP) regardless of the SAE grade on the bottle.
O. K. So,now you know more than the SAE?.......... Now you know more than all the users of M1 5-20 around the world??....... Not wise to take some general information and split hairs,Hoss. You don't have enough information to be so specific in this case. If this owner has a multi displacement Hemi,5-20 oil is REQUIRED for the MDS system to PROPERLY FUNCTION. Not 0-20......5-20. Did you inquire whether the Op's Hemi has MDS? No!

O. K. So,now you know more than the SAE?.......... Now you know more than all the users of M1 5-20 around the world??....... Not wise to take some general information and split hairs,Hoss. You don't have enough information to be so specific in this case. If this owner has a multi displacement Hemi,5-20 oil is REQUIRED for the MDS system to PROPERLY FUNCTION. Not 0-20......5-20. Did you inquire whether the Op's Hemi has MDS? No!

I have no idea what you're going on about, not sure you do either.

The SAE grading system is a range of viscosities.
The current M1 5W-20 formulation is now a "heavy" 20wt oil. The previous formulations were lighter (HTHS 2.63cP) but for whatever reason Mobil has chosen to thicken it up in it's current form.
They're not the only company to do this, Pennzoil Ultra 5W-20 is heavier (HTHS 2.7cP) vs PP 5W-20 (2.6cP).
This is not bad or good, it's simply what it is.
On the "good" side, since most 20wt's have a HTHS vis of 2.6cP having more 20wt oil's available that are heavier give the consumer more choice; i.e., selecting a heavier 20wt if needed instead of moving all the way up to a 30wt oil.

Actually, you misunderstand MDS. The number AFTER the "w" is what's more important to MDS and VVT functions, not the number before the "w."

And you're also missing CATERHAM's point. The current M1 0w20 behaves much more like a "typical" 5w20 than the current M1 5w20 does. There's some latitude in actual thickness allowed to call an oil "5w20" and the M1 is way at the thick end of the allowable range. What's so complicated about this?

Not complicated to me. Chrysler Tsb 09-015-4 states. "Vehicles with multiple displacement systems MUST USE 5-20 oil. Failure to do so may result in improper operation of the multiple displacement system."

A perfect example of taking a statement way too literally.
Heck it doesn't even say 5W-20 let alone dino or synthetic. Good luck finding a 5-20 oil.

Clearly the intent is not to use a 30wt or heavier oil and presumably not a straight 20 oil but even the cheapest bulk 5W-20 dino is good enough. A 0W-20 synthetic or synthetic blend would be an "unnecessary" upgrade but would clearly fall within the intent of Chrysler TSB 09-015-4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back