Goodyear Viva 2 Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure Walmart still sells the Viva Touring. They still clearly have the Viva 2, and the new one in their line is the Viva Authority Fuel Max. It's based on the Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max.

My brother had the Goodyear Viva 2 tires. I have to echo what most are saying about it. Absolute [censored]. Performance early in the life of the tires was adequate, nothing to write home about, but nothing to complain about either. Last year, after switching out his winter tires and putting the Viva 2s back on, my brother noticed a noise that sounded like his wheel bearings were badly shot. I noticed it too when I visited him and asked if there was something wrong with the bearings, but he said the noise came when he did the seasonal swap. Some quick Googling showed this was internal belt separation - apparently quite common on these tires.

I've also had OE supplied Goodyear Eagle LS tires on my now departed 2003 Golf TDI. They weren't bad, but neither were they impressive. Not enough to convince me it was the tire of choice.

Then when I got my pop up trailer last year, I started looking into alternatives to the made in China bias plies (turns out there really isn't an alternative unless I do some modifications to accommodate a larger wheel size), but then stumbled across how absolutely dangerous some people found the Goodyear Marathon trailer tires to be.

All of this is enough to make me say that I will NEVER buy Goodyear tires.

Yes, internal belt separation. That's what happened with the first pair of Viva2 tires that I bought used a couple years ago. I was unaware of these tires' reputation at the time, and blamed it on the fact that these were used tires.

So far my 'new' set has worked fine. But I doubt I'll buy them again.

I've had my Viva 2 tires for 1 year and 22,000 miles now. They're wearing evenly. I've rotated them once; probably should do it again soon. Tread depth looks to be about 3/4 of new.

Ok ride, good traction... I've had to add a little air to all of them once a couple months ago. Considering that this is a cheap and almost universally reviled Walmart tire, I've got no complaints.

This Lumina was my wife's vehicle up until a couple months ago. Now that I've inherited it, the miles will accumulate much more slowly. Might take several years to wear out these tires.

Time for an update on the single most reviled tire ever mentioned on the BITOG forums (though I'm doing my part to spread the word about what I reckon is an even worse tire: the Riken Raptor VR).

Like I said in my previous post, miles on my old Lumina are accumulating much more slowly now that I've taken it over- I drive a total of maybe 20 miles per day, entirely in town... whereas the wife drives easily three times as much- mostly highway miles.

But about the Goodyear Viva2 tires. I'm still happy with them- for the price. They have reasonably good traction, they're quiet- wearing pretty well. I have no complaints about this particular set of Viva2 tires (though I did buy a pair of used ones a few years ago that were absolute junk... but they were used so I don't know that I can really blame Goodyear).

I checked the tread depth the other day with a gauge. These tires originally had a depth of 10/35. I rotated them once after the first 16,000 miles, and I haven't rotated them since. Right now at 23,000 miles, the front tires have 8/32 and the rear tires have 9/32. If this car was still primarily driving highway miles, I think they'd have no problem reaching their 60,000 mile warranty. But for in-town driving, I think they'll easily make 40,000... which gives me at least two or three more years.

My only complaints about the tire are their HORRIBLE reputation (MOST people write negative reviews about them- my own results have been mixed), and the fact that they have a very soft sidewall and consequent poor handling in corners- not that I really care in an '01 Lumina. Wet traction and snow traction are average... which is impressive for the price. I think they're pretty good for a 'cheap tire'- and they'll do the job if you have low standards like I do.

But I don't know that I'll buy them again. Assuming that I'm still impressed with the Coopers on the wife's car a few years down the line, I'll probably pay a few $$ more and get a set of them- they're a much nicer tire. These goodyears were roughly $300 for a set of 4 installed. I think I can get a set of T-rated Cooper CS4's for about $420.

Critic,
I too had Allegra's(SAM's Club) on a vehicle and only thought they were OK!
These Allegra's were on the same carcas as the G/Y Regatta(itself only an OK tire at best). I have only heard about the VIVA's and I know that W*M had G/Y Viva's that were similar to the Regatta/Allegra but IDK if these Viva 2's are the same.

G/Y tires IMHO are only an OK tire(and I have had my share of G/Y's in every decade since the 70's). Depending on the vehicle your putting these Viva2's on and the price you'd be getting them for, there are better tires available everywhere. Depends on what your looking for!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back