snap-on dual 80's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking around the web. Snap-on's dual 80 ratchets seem to be the better ratchet for someone who likes to work on cars.

I've read a couple generic ads saying dual 80 technology is the most advance and etc.

My main question is snap-on's dual 80 ratchet better then any other 80 tooth ratchet... Is "dual 80" a brand more or less... or did they do something better that no one has/can do.

I've been looking to pick up gearwrench's 3pc ratch or Craftsman thin profile ratchets. Both can be had for a 3pc set at about $100. Gearwrench is 72tooth and i think Craftsman is either a 60 or 72 as well, they might be same internals ad Dahner makes both. The Dual 80 is $100+ just for one. I just wanted to know am i paying for the brand and just 8 more teeth or am i paying for better technology.

Anything is a upgrade with what i have no, standard craftsman ratchets, i think they are 32-36 teeth.

Unless you use tool for a living and IMO Snapon makes some of the best tools . My work tool box will prove my like!There are others that do good as well. If the Craftsmans are made in the USA those are what I would buy for home use.

Matco also makes a nice ratchet (88 tooth) but it has not held up to the abuse that a dual 80 will take in stride (at least with me). The Matco is a little thinner but I will take a F80, S80 or T72 any day of the week over the others that are on the market.

I own Wright, Armstrong, Mac, Matco, Williams, Craftsman and Snap-on. That I have 15 dual 80 ratchets in my box should tell you how much I like them. Try hunting for a bargain on fleabay or in the classified section at Garage Journal for a nice bargain on one. You won't regret it.

Is the Dual 80 made in the U.S.?
27.gif

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Is the Dual 80 made in the U.S.?
27.gif

It depends. If you are from the Northeast and you visit the plant, it will be a foreign country. Those boys from the hills in East Tennessee don't cotton much to strangers.

For us down home good old boys from the south, they are as American as it gets.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Unless you use tool for a living and IMO Snapon makes some of the best tools . My work tool box will prove my like!There are others that do good as well. If the Craftsmans are made in the USA those are what I would buy for home use.

I dont think i'll be doing it for a living. Sidework mainly.

I've learned that snap-on screwdrivers are better then craftsman by design. I've stripped so many screws with C-Man's but the snap-on with the cushion are gold and i love my set. Sockets are sockets to me. I have flank drive wrenches and like them over normal wrenches. I have a normal snap-on 3/8's that i dont use much. I mainly reach for my plain jane C-Man ratchet. But then everyone tells me fine tooth is the new wave and i'll never go back. I wanted to give it a try.

Like i said. is the DUAL 80 just a marketing thing. Or is there some technology behind it. I pick up a dual 80 snap on ratchet and a gearwrench 72 tooth one. Will i notice a differences right off the bat. More applied torque or something other then finner teeth.

Everyone that i know loves their dual 80 stuff. But none of them bothered with the other stuff. I think i'll just buy one on ebay soon and see what the fuss is about.

The newer, fine tooth, pear head ratchets have less of a swing arc that will help you out in tight spots. Even though it sounds crazy, they will also be stronger than the older design 20 to 36 tooth ratchets.

The older style used from 2 to 4 teeth on the pawl to engage the gear. The newer designs will engage anywhere from 9 to 11 teeth for a much stronger gearset. I use my 24" long 1/2" drive flex head as a breaker bar and never worry about it.

Originally Posted By: GeorgiaHybrid
The newer, fine tooth, pear head ratchets have less of a swing arc that will help you out in tight spots. Even though it sounds crazy, they will also be stronger than the older design 20 to 36 tooth ratchets.

The older style used from 2 to 4 teeth on the pawl to engage the gear. The newer designs will engage anywhere from 9 to 11 teeth for a much stronger gearset. I use my 24" long 1/2" drive flex head as a breaker bar and never worry about it.

the tight spot reasons are EXACTLY why i want to switch over to the fine tooth ratchets... I need a new 1/2 ratchet. So i'm looking at a 3pc combos more. Think they are the better bang for the buck for me. If i can grab a F80 in the $75 shipped range i'll add that to my collection as well.

Cornwell has a new 72 tooth 3/8" drive ratchet out that's similar to their traditional design. The main advantage I find with the Cornwell ratchets are their handle shape -- there's nothing more comfortable to hold in the hand than their steel contoured handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back