replacement engine for Ariens st724 sno blo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,
Ariens st724, 1987 or so vintage currently has the original Tecumseh 7hp sno king. I'm thinking of replacing because of a lot of little things going wrong lately, Can I get a rebuilt one, does tecumseh sell a replacement engine for this. Can B&S be used as an excat bolt up? It would be nice to upgrade to a 110v starter while I'm at it.

Dont go too a [censored] engine, really I have nothing good too say about there newer engines, mostly on select engines that are built over sea's but still have there name on it and sold to our country are not covered by any sort of warrenty. I had a problem with a brand new 20hp (the engine and the deck, mostly the engine)lawn tractor and I was told to fark off we dont warrenty that engine from there customer service.

I personly would just live with your current engine or have it rebuilt (usally less costly then buying a new one)

You can re-power that old Ariens. A lot of people are using high horse power Honda clones with good success. However, there might be some controls issues to work around the new engine size and configuration.

Here's a link to a site that supplies lots of re-power engines. I'm providing a link to their B&S snow engines. They also have plenty of Tecumseh snow engines (which are very durable if oil is kept up.

http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/ProductList.asp?Snow=YES&Category=Engine&Supplier=Briggs

There's all kinds of "snow" engines out there. You'd have to get a gas tank for this one, but for ~$130 it's a good deal. This 5.5hp OHV will have the same power than your old flat-head 7hp. I've got the 7hp version on my 10yr/old snowblower and I've never used the E-start. It starts with one pull.
p28-1740E1.jpg

https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=28-1740&catname=engines

Just out of interest, are "snow" engines any different than OPE engines designed for the summer?

If so, what are the differences?

chonda.jpg

Just did this with a harbor freight 6.5 hp greyhound engine. The price just went up to $149, I wonder if they sold like hotcakes repowering old snow machines. If you can manage to wait until Father's Day I'm sure the price will drop back down.

Real great torque curve. Carb was way less finicky than my tecumseh.

I had to buy new pulleys as the tec had a 1" shaft while the Chonda has a 3/4. Got them from mcmaster carr.

It's super quiet and I've run a lot of gas through it. Not sure if it's more efficient than the tec (or less) or if this winter has just been challenging.

It's a regular old general purpose engine. The air filter draws from below so I don't see it getting snow up in it. Don't feel like I need the exhaust "stove" heating my gas up.

Tecumseh went tango uniform a couple years back so any new engines you find will be new old stock. The snowblower OEs mostly went with Chinese OHV clones as replacements.

Originally Posted By: GhostFlame
Hi Guys,
Ariens st724, 1987 or so vintage currently has the original Tecumseh 7hp sno king. I'm thinking of replacing because of a lot of little things going wrong lately, Can I get a rebuilt one, does tecumseh sell a replacement engine for this. Can B&S be used as an excat bolt up? It would be nice to upgrade to a 110v starter while I'm at it.

this could be your lucky day, my 81 st724 had its ign system mice chewed. I since replaced the engine with a kohler commander 7.

I initially ordered the tech replacement, 'lct' snow engine, northern is about to take it back (never installed) but you can have it for my cost, OR, I am selling my tech 7hp with e-start - if you have an ign system it can be made to work (and you dont have to play pulley games.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Just did this with a harbor freight 6.5 hp greyhound engine.

Looks good! Did it pretty much bolt right up?

Reason I ask is, I've read of instances where these re-powering jobs on some makes/models require, custom fab work to get spring loaded belt tensioners to work. I believe this is mostly on MTD models.

Joel

Last edited:
My auger "clutch" is a spring loaded pulley but I was able to adjust stuff to make it work. I think the output shaft is slightly lower. But I had a "big block" tech 8 hp on there before, drilled a couple extra holes, so I may have gotten new belts when I put it on then a new belt again for this one. (Was able to repurpose one used auger belt as the drive one or vice versa.)

I had my choice of pulley diameters to within 1/4 inch from mcmaster. I (accidentally) ordered 1/4" too small for the drive wheels but it's all good as I rarely use high speed... and the auger spins faster for any given drive speed now.

Also the base of this engine is aluminum and about 5/8" thick so I needed four longer mounting bolts to mount it to the base plate. And the oil drain dumps right on the base plate, maybe I need a "form a funnel", or just tilt the thing over 45 degrees LOL.

It's operation is non-exciting which is a great thing the way this winter is shaping up. I had a couple embarrasing moments where my old tec kept stalling and I had one path down the driveway and the wife got home and stared at me like "you're not done yet?"

I have had more problems with OHV small air cooled engines ( the newer ones in the last 5 or so years) than any of the older flat head engines by far very very far. If it were me I would look for an older used flat head B&S that in the same shaft configuration (horizontal ? or vertical) any way the same range of horsepower should bolt right up.

Next option look still for a used engine of the same type, I'm not sure if online would be helpful, but you could always check local online etc, and may be able to acquire another unit in which to take an engine from.. I guess next would be to rebuild the engine you have, it may not even need rebuilding, or maybe a cheap rebuild would do it, it's pretty straight forward to rebuild these if they do not need to be bored it doesn't take a lot of money at all from what I have seen however certain engine brands will in fact deem to expensive...

I may have a strange way of looking at this, however I despise the new air cooled engines, they are trash for the most part, and that's not just any brand.. it's across the board brand names pure junk in the entry line.

On edit some OHV engines are what air cooled engines should have been for years such as B&S vanguard which is built overseas BUT in Japan from my understanding is one of the best small air cooled engines ever made, however a new vanguard will set you back a lot of money as well... but it may be possible to find a used vanguard to fit your requirement at a decent price, and it may very well outlast you, and your snow blower.... they are that good if you take half way care of them

Last edited:
Hey Thanks for all the replies, I've been away from my keyboard for awhile. I am going to study these posts and think about my options. I would prefer to find the same engine new old stock. I am going to make a few calls tomorrow. If I can't get a new old one I'm going to send my engine out to have it rebuilt.

What is your opinion of replacing with a Briggs and Straton? Will it bolt up, its a horizontal, would I have to make modifications to recieve the pulleys? Do the controls bolt up?

Originally Posted By: QuadDriver
Originally Posted By: GhostFlame
Hi Guys,

this could be your lucky day, my 81 st724 had its ign system mice chewed. I since replaced the engine with a kohler commander 7.

I initially ordered the tech replacement, 'lct' snow engine, northern is about to take it back (never installed) but you can have it for my cost, OR, I am selling my tech 7hp with e-start - if you have an ign system it can be made to work (and you dont have to play pulley games.

How much do you want? where in Pa do you live? Is this a new engine you want to sell me? I'd be happy to talk to you.
send me an email then we can exchange phone numbers [email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back