Lubro Moly mos2 or LubeGard Engine Protectant???

Status
Not open for further replies.
OR maybe even both!?
grin.gif
Okay, I'm starting a new thread because I don't want to thread jack and I'd like to start a thread for those questioning to use the two additives in the thread title in particular, to use in addition to any particular oil.

Personally, I'm interested in the Lubro Moly mos2 and the LubeGard Engine Protectant with BioTech, after reading the two long threads, also in the oil additives forum, regarding each respectively and others performing their tests and posting results.

Here are my two vehicle applications in question:

1999 2.4L Dodge Stratus, currently running on Amsoil SSO 0w-30 for the first time after MaxLife Valvoline and Mobil1 AFE for the last 2-3 years. I did the typical 3k mile changes until my last Mobil1 change prior to Amsoil, I left it in there for 6-7 months, but it was only driven for 1k miles and so I changed it. It was driven less than 2,500 last year in total, as it stopped being the daily driver and typically won't ever go over 4-5k at most in a given year.

I'm leaning on the side of not adding Lubro Moly, since its most valued for it's "plating" effect onto the metal inside of the engine and that means for cars in constant operation, but perhaps the LubeGard product for it's 'anti-oxidation' help as I'd like to leave the Amsoil SSO in the Stratus all year and change it once, topping off when necessary as it may lose 1 Quart over the course of 3k miles.

Really, though, is it overkill for use with Amsoil SSO? My only reason for considering it is that this car will go a week or two without being driven at times, or possibly more. It currently has 125k miles.

2nd application, the daily driver:

1992 Civic VX at 245k miles using Amsoil SSO 0w-30. It's driven 12k-15k per year. I am interested in adding one or both of these additives for this engine. My reasoning, the LubeGard can get me to 10k per OCI without problem in theory on top of Amsoil and the LubroMoly would be a nice bonus to 'anti-wear' and help with any cleanup that is probably still going on with this engine being so high in mileage(I did the same MaxLife to Mobil1 AFE for this vehicle but only over the course of the last year+).

My question is, again, do either products seem logical for use in my 2 applications? If so, one or the other, both?

NOTE: If anyone wants to read the two threads I went through, here they are for reference...

LubeGard Engine Protectant with BioTech - Thread

lubro moly mos2 - thread

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MrMeeks
Amsoil contains all the additives any engine should ever need.
Use your money to purchase more amsoil.

Well, it really does intrigue me to run some experiments. I'm going to keep using Amsoil, sure, but I wonder what kind of effect running either of these two additives would do(good or bad) for either of my applications?

I mean really, 1 car is driven very little and the other about average.

Burning a can of Lubro Moly at $4.29 locally(that covers both cars if I want it too btw), is really cheap for 6+ months of service. My Stratus loses oil, though, but if it's not driven as much the rate it loses oil is slowed too ironically.

I recently got the Honda to stop losing oil all together lately and I'd consider both products still.

If it makes any difference I did notice small grainy carbon deposits(small clumps together here 'n there) in the bottom of the oil catch pan I used while doing each oil change on the vehicles last. I did use an Amsoil engine flush just prior to the last OCs, but my point is that the lubromoly may help finish the clean up of what deposits I obviously still have going on.

I'm not sure either will help you. With the tbn of amsoil, how much more can you anti oxidize? Lubromoly mos2 is moly. If you had a high load /towing vehicle it would probable help. but in a non towing (lower bearing load) lighter weight car, I'm not sure it will do anything.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I'm not sure either will help you. With the tbn of amsoil, how much more can you anti oxidize? Lubromoly mos2 is moly. If you had a high load /towing vehicle it would probable help. but in a non towing (lower bearing load) lighter weight car, I'm not sure it will do anything.

For instance, the moly added doubles as a detergent/dispersant so if I still have carbon deposits it could in theory finish cleaning that out as moly tries to bond itself to metal, right?

Yeah, I figured it obviously falls into the 'overkill' category, but doesn't anyone think it'd be interesting to go for it anyway for SCIENCE?
wink.gif

I agree that with the SSO you don't need anything in your oil especially the miles you see in the first car. The Civic is driven more and if you want some extra protection I would go with the LG Biotech, it is really good stuff and the only thing besides MMO and a run of Kreen once every 15k that I trust in my vehicles. I have it in my Accord right now and it runs great. The Mos2 has mixed reviews and a buddy of mine who cut open his filter after using it had a bunch of greyish "material" trapped in it that I assume was most of the Mos2. LG and Amsoil are a great combo.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chubbs1
I agree that with the SSO you don't need anything in your oil especially the miles you see in the first car. The Civic is driven more and if you want some extra protection I would go with the LG Biotech, it is really good stuff and the only thing besides MMO and a run of Kreen once every 15k that I trust in my vehicles. I have it in my Accord right now and it runs great. The Mos2 has mixed reviews and a buddy of mine who cut open his filter after using it had a bunch of greyish "material" trapped in it that I assume was most of the Mos2. LG and Amsoil are a great combo.

Thanks for the post. I was thinking something along those lines, but may be inclined to do a small amount of the moly within the last 1,000k miles on the VX for its cleaning effect and stick to short usage on engine flush/cleaner additive for when I change the Stratus once a year.

Hi.

Be wary of shrewd marketing claims.

"Plating effect and anti-oxidative properties" are simply plays on what a modern oil already does.

All API SM, SN, Energy Conserving Oils have molybdenum disulfide in suspension. Molybdenum disulfide (MoSO2) is a dry lubricant. What that means is that its coefficient of friction is very low. Its main purpose in oils is to allow for greater fuel efficiency. If plating means protection, then that is simply not true in a sense. It is protective, but it simply is not a "plate." It is definitely not a surface treatment along the lines of nitrocarburization or carbon nitriding for example.

Anti-oxidation. This is what a motor oil is developed to do! Along with metal protection of course. Impurities and combustion byproducts are created. This causes metal wear (a type of wear is oxidation-think rust). Water is a big factor...roughly half of combustion products is water. An oil protects against this.

Anyways, I do not wish to sway you from anything. Just giving some opinions and knowledge so you can know better about the products that's all.

Hmm, I suppose the LG and the mos2 wouldn't 'stack' for better gas mileage, but both seem to create some improvement in those areas.

I suppose it makes sense that in the form presented it won't create a layer of 'liquid', but shouldn't it still go for the metal anyway since it's moly(just a different form)???

I'm not so interested in mos2 for less friction as that is accomplished with the LubeGard product. I am more interested in the LubroMoly mos2 for any cleaning it may/may not do.

Thanks for the post.

Not sure where to start.

Select the best suited oil and run it. Additives mentioned won't really clean, nor will they really reduce wear. Assuming these are the goals.

What is the true main objective here?

People can say what they want, but Lubro Moly Mos2 quieted my truck down a good deal. I've been using PYB 5w30 since it was new, changing every 4 months.

It had the same result in my parent's 03 Venture with around 110k miles on it.

It did nothing for our 09 Honda. Could be it is too new (low miles). I've only changed the oil in it 3 times so it could be it already has had a boatload of Mos2 in the oil from the FF or some is still lingering.

I only added about 1/4 of the can for each application.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
The MoS2 will not do any cleaning.

Is that because of the type of moly it is?

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Not sure where to start.

Select the best suited oil and run it. Additives mentioned won't really clean, nor will they really reduce wear. Assuming these are the goals.

What is the true main objective here?

Well, not knowing the additives package of something like Amsoil SSO, I thought it'd be interested to introduce the esters that LubeGard is promoting, also I was under the impression that moly doubles as an 'anti-wear' and a 'cleaner' if you will.

Sure, it is overkill and probably not needed in my application, but I do think highly of both additives. Maybe just in connection with conventional oil or a 'lesser' oil then???

Do either of you guys believe either additive, or have thoughts on them as products? I was impressed by the gas mileage improvements with both at least. The better feel of the ride was commented on, too, but of course those may just be placebo.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
The MoS2 will not do any cleaning.

Is that because of the type of moly it is?

Moly doesnt clean. At all.

Ive been reading about "Tufoil" might have Mos2 beat.

Tufoil and Duralube at same time, likely dont need Mos2 yo uare correct, it is a different "type" of Moly. Works good, makes oil weird color, use half a can ever 2nd or third OC, if that. ADD HOT!

Or put in Tufoil and Duralube at same time, see what happens
laugh.gif
says it fills in cylinder wall imperfections. perhaps for a smoking on start-up appplication ?

Yeah, I don't think I'm at that point, SuperFast and that'd be more of a last resort to a really worn enginge. I still get good performance out of the Honda. You can run those engines hard, they don't mind.

I may wind up going with LubeGard EP w/ BioTech to measure any MPG gains. Also, I'm interested to see if it will help the feel of the ride in either vehicle.

The LubroMoly mos2, I like as a once in a while 'er, as you pointed out, but perhaps not in connection with the Amsoil product I'm using.

How about the need to and ANY type of cleanup help for the last 500-1,000 miles on either of my engines given that they dropped some carbon deposits when I use Amsoil's Engine/Tranny flush at the time of my last oil change? MMO for 500 miles, a few ounces? I suppose if I like LG so much I could try their flush, as they claim it doesn't contain 'harmful solvents':

http://lubegard.com/C-182/LUBEGARD+Engine+Flush

NOTE:

Here are the products the thread is really talking about...

http://lubegard.com/C-180/LUBEGARD+BIO-TECH+Engine+Oil+Protectant

http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/produktdb.nsf/id/usa_2009.html

Last edited:
Don't forget the Lubro Moly also has a load or valuable boron in it.

We can also say that Walmart Supertech oil "has all you need".
What does "all you need " mean??

How long have you been using the Amsoil SSO 0W-30 in your two cars?

These are each car's first OCI running Amsoil SSO 0w-30. Before that, I ran them from Valvoline MaxLife(for 2-3 changes each) and eventually over to Mobil1 AFE 0w-30 before switching to Amsoil.

Originally Posted By: dtt004

All API SM, SN, Energy Conserving Oils have molybdenum disulfide in suspension.

I don't believe that the case at all. It would be more accurate to say many oils contain some moly but it is anything but universal.
A quick review of some of the VOA's posted here will show that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back