Pennzoil Ultra vs. Castrol Edge, any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dang search features never produce what I'am looking for so what are the concesus on these two head to head without extended drain talk.

Don't do extended drains but I do run my 5.7 hemi Challenger rather hard.

They are both pretty darn equal - you're splitting hairs on which is actually better.

Best bet is to buy whatever you can get the best price on, seriously.

....if someone put a 'gun to my head', and I HAD to choose one, I'd pick Edge, that's just me.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Well, if the Ultra was as readily available as the Edge, I would choose the Ultra.

O.K. but why? Any real differences between them?

Originally Posted By: addyguy
They are both pretty darn equal - you're splitting hairs on which is actually better.

....if someone put a 'gun to my head', and I HAD to choose one, I'd pick Edge, that's just me.

Well lets spice it up a notch.

Mobil 1 0-20
Castrol Edge 5-20
Pennzoil Ultra 5-20
I have not found Ultra or Edge in 0-20

Originally Posted By: pwr2tow

Mobil 1 0-20
Castrol Edge 5-20
Pennzoil Ultra 5-20

Out of those,Mobil 1.

Mobil 1 0-20
Castrol Edge 5-20
Pennzoil Ultra 5-20

I'd still pick the Edge 5W-20.

Just bought a 5 quart container of Edge at WalMart for $27.50. I use it in my Corvette. It does better than Mobil 1.

I also use Ultra in my son's G37 Coupe, that engine is tough on oil, but the oil sump is 6 quarts, which is large for the VQ 3.5/3.7 engine (normally 4.5 quarts). The oil filters on these cars are VERY small also.

I would say it is a toss-up, except Edge is warranted for 1 year/15,000 miles. But I have seen Edge loose TBN pretty fast, not sure I ever saw it go 15,000 miles.

Last edited:

Mobil 1 0-20
Castrol Edge 5-20
Pennzoil Ultra 5-20

I'd still pick the Edge 5W-20.

Actually I'd pick Edge 0W-20, but since it's not available in Canada and assuming US retail prices (Cdn Edge prices are insane) I'd choose Edge 5W-20 as well for two main reasons; it has the highest VI of 175 and lowest KV40 spec' of 42.7cSt.

In the 5W-30 grade, I'd say there's nothing between them and I'd choose which ever is cheapest, actually I'd choose PP which is cheapest of all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back