F1 speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy smokes.. it's like one is in fast motion and the other is a Sunday driver.

It's an interesting comparison, but my guess is that the GT video is an open-track club day, as there are some vintage cars in the group.(I think there's an early mustang in the mix.) A comparison to recent Prototype ALM type cars would be great to see (apples to apples.)

I agree.
But if they included some NASCAR iron it would make the faster of the track day cars look fast or more to the point how incredibly slow even unrestricted NASCAR cars are on a road curcuit.

That might be too dangerous, as there could be vintage HP Spridgets closing up on the Cars of Tomorrow at unsafe rates of speed. Then there's the differences in braking points, etc. Might be better to run the Nascar iron with some of the brass-era racing machines (Stutz, Simplex & maybe a Stanley Steamer to mix it up!)

I did a Track Time open lapping day at Watkins Glen in ~1993. On that particular day, the track had also been rented by a Busch Grand National North team, whose driver at the time was Steve Park. During the driver's meeting, the chief steward said to not bother giving the race car a point-by; just watch your mirrors carefully, hold your line, and he will find a place to pass.

Yeah, no kidding! He passed me on the backstretch at an obscene rate of speed. Basically, I saw him in my rearview mirror in time to see him disappear off to the side. The exhaust from his car was so loud, it made my ears ring, even with my helmet on.

Love to see the ALMS prototype comparison as well. Back in the day can-am cars used to turn faster laps than F1. Or maybe a comparison with say 88-92 Le mans cars like the Sauber Mercedes C9 and the 787b.

On another note I quite enjoy watching nascar on road courses. Similar to watching those Strana super trucks go around.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Warlord
Back in the day can-am cars used to turn faster laps than F1.

Yup, 800hp/750 lb.ft. of torque's worth of injected 7 liter V-8, and MUCH more downforce than the F1s of the day will do that!
grin.gif
wink.gif

(Not to mention the what, 1200hp+??, and sick downforce of the 917Ks.
crazy2.gif
)

Actually, I was told that the F1 turbo cars of the mid-80s were faster than the current gen F1 cars due to the obscene power that they had at the time (some at well over 1000 hp in qualifying trim!!!). Although the suspension development may not be in the same league as today's cars, it would be very interesting to do a lap comparison.

Originally Posted By: mercuryblues
Actually, I was told that the F1 turbo cars of the mid-80s were faster than the current gen F1 cars due to the obscene power that they had at the time (some at well over 1000 hp in qualifying trim!!!). Although the suspension development may not be in the same league as today's cars, it would be very interesting to do a lap comparison.

They didn't handle as well, but generated more power. Martin Brundle has mentioned at least a couple of high speed corners in F1 that used to be interesting, but are now just flat-out. He started out in F1 in 1984, a couple of years before the turbo engines peaked before being regulated out of the sport.

I really like Brundle as a commentator. He's very knowledgeable and well-spoken, and he doesn't sugarcoat his opinions. Here's a good video where he compares the 1992 Benneton-Ford car to the 2000 Ferrari car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqDYoXl8244

I'd like to compare lap times from year-to-year, but I've never come across a suitable information source. Does anyone have any links?

Great video and thanks for the post! I agree with you, I always enjoyed Martin Brundle as a driver and has always been a straight-up guy. It's just too bad that Speed is the only channel in the states that broadcasts F1 and that I don't have the opportunity to catch the ITV broadcasts, even though I've caught some recent videos featuring him on Youtube.

I just remembered that Michael Schumacher also drove the '92 Benneton-Ford car as well. Actually scored his first career F1 win in that car I think.

I came across the Brundle series 60 Years of Silverstone where he drove an F1 car from each decade. Great stuff. The 1986 turbos were the height of F1 power. Over 1200 hp in qualifying trim.

"The 1986 turbo cars really was rockets and to handle them, I think, you really had to be a man." - Gerhard Berger

But Brundle says the modern ones are faster anyway:

"High revving V8 engines, exquisite aerodynamic detail, and complex electronics make this era easily the fastest Formula 1 cars of all time."

1958 Maserati 250f

1967 Lotus 49

1974 McLaren M23

1986 Lotus 98T

1992 Benetton B192

2008 Red Bull Renault

Final Review

Originally Posted By: mercuryblues
Great video and thanks for the post! I agree with you, I always enjoyed Martin Brundle as a driver and has always been a straight-up guy. It's just too bad that Speed is the only channel in the states that broadcasts F1 and that I don't have the opportunity to catch the ITV broadcasts, even though I've caught some recent videos featuring him on Youtube.

Does Speed use different commentators? TSN carries F1 here in Canada. I think it's a BBC feed though, and we do get Brundle. Speed is blacked out during F1 events.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back