Which brand outer tie rod?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just changed LCAs and steering wheel is crooked now. Tie rod end boots look like they will develop splits pretty soon, so in interest of doing only one alignment, I'd like to change both outer tie rods.

We have:

Moog $53 - greasable

AAP OE Brand $11 - non-greasable

AAP Auto Part International $21 - greasable

AZ's Duralast $18- greasable
Valuecraft $11 - greasable

Oreilly's Master Pro $11- ?

Napa Master Ride Chassis $20 - greasable
NAPA brand $53 - greasable

I would like it done right and able to go the long haul. Is it just brand preference or do I need to buy the most expensive part to have a part that will last, drive straight and be safe? Also, is greasable the way to go?

Thanks for your recommendation!

Moog or NAPA greasable from that list.Leave the rest on the shelf.
Rock Auto has good prices,Sometimes they offer Deeza,Spicer,TRW which are also good parts.

Last edited:
I put moog on my BMW years ago and they are still great and tight. Mine are not greaseable, but apparently the moog design allows for better grease flow through the bearings and whatever is in the ball joint.

Get the TRWs from AA and use a 40% off coupon.

The "OE" is not "original equipment" but rather chinese garbage. I had one of their lower control arms and when I was cornering right fairly aggressively something (a bushing?) would flex and suddenly I'd be turning even harder. One also has to open the "OE" box in store to make sure you get the zerk, cotter pin, nut, etc. That said I've actually used a couple OE TRES **FOR SATURN S-series** that are holding up, one at 40k now.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Moog or NAPA greasable from that list.Leave the rest on the shelf.
Rock Auto has good prices,Sometimes they offer Deeza,Spicer,TRW which are also good parts.

The high-priced NAPA is the high-end Spicer line. It is what I have been using for all my front-end work, after a lifetime of using Moog.

Moog parts are expensive for a reason- because they make excellent stuff.

If it's a beater you're trying to fix, pretty much anything will work, but if it's a keeper, Moog or the high-end NAPA parts are the ones you want. TRW would be a good middle-of-the-road choice.

When i replaced ball joints,both upper and lower,i used Valuecraft with zerk fittings and as of this posting not a single problem with them and that was two years ago.IMO as long as they can be greased on a regular basis they will do fine regardless of initial investment cost.I just can't justify the dollar difference between Moog and Valuecraft or better response would be between sealed and greasable type,even though i have and use the needles used for inserting grease into sealed joints zerk fittings are easier and do a better lube job.

I ordered the TRWs online and picked them up locally for $50 plus 3.50 tax. I was trying to get the Moogs since I already have the rear sway links and LCAs, so might as well try to match it up. No stores had them and the website said they couldn't be shipped.

Its weird though. They came in two different boxes and while each one was stamped 4004, the stamping is different font and size.

Thanks guys for helping me find a quality part and get a good price at the same time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back