2011 Accord 4 cylinder or V6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've been looking at new cars for a while. I think we've finally decided on an Accord.

I'm having a hard time deciding on which engine to go with. Mileage is the biggest concern,but I also want something that is reasonably fun to drive.

My current Wrangler with the 205hp 3.8 V6 is terribly gutless. Its absolutely no fun to drive.

I have a feeling that even with the smallest engine in the Accord,it'll feel like a rocket compared to the Wrangler.

I generally buy the biggest engine available in a vehicle.With gas mileage being the biggest concern,I don't know if thats the right way to go this time.

Go with the 4-cylinder for sure - the Honda 2.4 I-4 is probably one the most advanced, reliable 4-cylinder engines out there.

I also wrestled this and good luck. The K24 is a fantastic mill, and it revs well and smooth, but it lacks torque and the current Accord is pretty large. The J series is a decent engine but it still has a timing belt and won't get the same mileage. I guess you will have to drive both back to back. I'd drive the smaller engine second if you can.

Nice car! No question I'd pick the 4 cyl.

Gas has gone up 30 (yes THIRTY) cents this last week here. That should tell you where we are going and sadly stay.

The days of $2 (I remember when it was .19 cents a gallon) gallon fuel are gone. I'd bet in a year from now we will be wishing for $3 a gallon.

Pics and review if/when you get the rig!
thumbsup2.gif

Bill

I frist will ask does the 4 or 6 have a timing belt? The one without the timing belt would be my first choice . The 4 cyl should be more economical and cost less to buy. Probably the 4 cyl would be easier to work on . Things I think about when selecting a car.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

Gas has gone up 30 (yes THIRTY) cents this last week here. That should tell you where we are going and sadly stay.

The days of $2 (I remember when it was .19 cents a gallon) gallon fuel are gone. I'd bet in a year from now we will be wishing for $3 a gallon.

thumbsup2.gif

Bill

My neighbor has [2] Honda Accords...One has the I-4 and the other the V6...He says they both get same mileage as the V6 has cylinder shutdown...He said he wishes he got the V6 in both of them as the V6 is much nicer to drive.

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

thumbsup2.gif

Bill

My neighbor has [2] Honda Accords...One has the I-4 and the other the V6...He says they both get same mileage as the V6 has cylinder shutdown...He said he wishes he got the V6 in both of them as the V6 is much nicer to drive.

Not here. I've got co-workers with both over the years and the V6 (with or without cyl shutdown (which does not happen too much here)) do get worst MPG.

Hardly ever hear of anyone getting 30+ MPG with a V6 and yet the 4 cyls do it all the time.
21.gif

Bill

The fuel economy of 2011 Honda 6 Cyl is 20 City-30 Hwy. If he considers a 205hp car gutless. I don't see how he is going to be happy with the 2.4 engine. If the fuel economy is a concern, he can't go wrong with the 4 cyl (34mpg Hwy).

4cyl. All the way!! Plenty of power less the problems with the V6 engines ie. fuel dilution, high copper. If it is a car you plan on keeping the 4cyl is Hondas' specialty. I have the 2010 4cyl as you can see, I love it and it has plenty of go...trust me.

Originally Posted By: Stewart Fan

I'm having a hard time deciding on which engine to go with. Mileage is the biggest concern,but I also want something that is reasonably fun to drive.

Just about the only thing that can make this car somewhat reasonably fun to drive is a manual transmission. Otherwise, with a slush box, it'll be fairly boring regardless of power plant, in which case you might as well buy the cheaper 4-cylinder one and get slightly better MPG.

Ok to play devil's advocate go Hyundai Sonata with at Turbo-4. Split the economy difference, and have power in reserve. That and Honda's product offering is not as competitive as it used to be.

+1.
I wouldn't have an auto four cylinder.
Both of our Accords are old now, but with 5 spds, they are fun to drive.
Honda four cylinders love to rev, and need to be revved to make useful power.
They, IMHO, work far more happily with sticks than with automatics.

I've driven the 4cyl automatic version of the 2006 Accord - great car with plenty of power (gearing, weight, torque converter stall speed all contribute to the feel). That car was 165 HP.

With the 190 HP EX version of the engine and a manual in the 2011 edition - you'll have a great car; fun to drive and the most economical in the line up. And several thousand $$ less than the V-6, with which to build your stash of 0W20...

I rented a 2010 Accord LX (4 cyl) and no doubt it was a great car. The auto trans is soooooo smooth I was thinking that I didn't want to drive a manual trans any more.

The 4 cyl Accord is pretty quick with an auto trans.

Agree with others, fun to drive=5spd stick with the mileage of the I4. My 09 Accord Coupe EX-L/Nav I4/M5 is as fast as I need and gets 35 mpg on the highway.

Without being an expert. the general impression I have of several Japanese cars is that the 4cyl have such a long development history with determined improvements that an excellent rep. is almost common, whereas the much less popular v-6 (world wide) is good but not nearly as bulletproof as the 4. (1 toyota v-6, 1 mazda v-6 in family)how many miles do you want to go without trouble? 200k honda I-4 not uncommon at all. Just my opinion.

Both of those engines sound refined, but they are fairly gutless as they lack the low-end torque that is critical for day-to-day driving.

I've driven both the I4 and V6 versions and they don't impress me. If I had to choose, I would take the V6-- and even that one doesn't feel like a V6 compared to the Nissan VQ35 we have.

Owned a 2.4L I-4 2005 Accord. NEVER wished for more power. It was rated at 160HP back then. If you ever need to pass, or need a quick shot of speed just lever the stick back to D3 and you can pass with authority and have a blast doing it. It is the only 4 cyl with a auto that I would consider. It never got caught with it pants down so to speak.

Now you wonder why I no longer have it? It was the car with the most numb steering I have ever owned. Hard to make it go down the road straight, and the more you tried to correct, the worse it was, so I let it wander all over the road for 3 years and finally gave up trying to make it better. Traded it for the Tacoma. One plus was the great resale value.

Originally Posted By: Billy007
The fuel economy of 2011 Honda 6 Cyl is 20 City-30 Hwy. If he considers a 205hp car gutless. I don't see how he is going to be happy with the 2.4 engine. If the fuel economy is a concern, he can't go wrong with the 4 cyl (34mpg Hwy).

The Wrangler (mine is a 4 door Unlimited) is probably 1200-1300lbs more than an Accord,shaped like a brick,with a ton of wind resistance.

The gearing in the 4 spd auto doesn't help any either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back