New Ecotec 1.4T sump size

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 1.4-liter engine is pretty small to be lugging around 3400 pounds (3100+2 passengers). Is it a DI engine? The turbo also adds heat stress. This application needs a synthetic oil. Just follow GM's recommendations.

As for the original question, I don't think it is small. I think the last time I changed my brother's oil in his 2.2L Ecotec engine it only took 4.25 quarts.

I think the 1.4T engine in a 3K+ pound compact is just asking for trouble.

These engines are going to have LOTS of problems down the road!

I'd but a 1.8-powered Cruze in a heatbeat, but I wouldn't touch the turbo.....

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I think the 1.4T engine in a 3K+ pound compact is just asking for trouble.

These engines are going to have LOTS of problems down the road!

I'd but a 1.8-powered Cruze in a heatbeat, but I wouldn't touch the turbo.....

I'm the opposite. With the only options being 1.4T or 1.8 NA, I'd choose the 1.4T. The torque curve will be far flatter and move the car better than an NA 1.8. Europe has had 1.4-ish FSI powerplants on the road for years and they don't seem to be exploding. This isn't brand new engineering for Chevy - they are bringing Euro designs to NA. Now if a 2.5L V6 or 2.0T was also an option that would be a different story for me.

Now, just how Euro designs will do with typical NA owner neglect will have to be seen. People may expect higher maintenance requirements from brands that are clearly Euro, but not from "Chevy". If the average owner tries to treat these power plants like they treat pushrod I4s from cars like the Sunfire I think they'll be in for a heck of a surprise down the road.

If memory serves, the old 'iron duke' 2.5L four that many GM compacts used had a 4qt oil pan.

The new 3.0 V-6 from GM has a 6qt oil pan. Go figure.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
As for the original question, I don't think it is small. I think the last time I changed my brother's oil in his 2.2L Ecotec engine it only took 4.25 quarts.

Hmmm...every 2.2 Eco I've ever changed has called for 5 quarts. What year is your brothers eco, and in what car is it installed?

The 1.4L turbo is a Family 0 Ecotec. The Family 0 and Family 1 are very similar and make up the 1.6L in the Aveo, the 1.4L in the Volt, and the 1.8L in the Astra and base Cruze. It's also used very heavily in the European, S. American, and Asian markets.

The more familar 2.0, 2.2, and 2.4L Ecotec here in N. America is a Family II Ecotec and shares nothing except it's Ecotec name with the Family 0 and Family 1 engines.

I just purchased a Cruze and I went for the 1.4T over the 1.8 because of the timing chain vs. timing belt and the extra 2 mpg's.
I always change the oil early in a new car and wondered what your suggestions are for my first oil change mileage.
I'm thinking of changing the factory fill at 2500 or 3000 miles.
I will probably run that 4 or 5K and then start doing 7K on synthetic.
The AC Delco dexos1 is a semi-synthetic made by E-M (this is what the dealer uses). I plan on using Synpower, QSTP, PP and Mobil 1 0w30 SL that I have stashed.
What do you think of Esso XD-3 0W30 SL in this 1.4T? I have enough for a couple of changes.

I'd use a HT-06 or A5 oil if I was looking to pick from my existing stash.

ftr- the 1.8VVT os an ok engine for an economy car, but it does need to rev to make any power.

Originally Posted By: LS2JSTS
Originally Posted By: badtlc

Hmmm...every 2.2 Eco I've ever changed has called for 5 quarts. What year is your brothers eco, and in what car is it installed?

2005 Cavalier.

I actually have the opposite view of those that say that the 1.4 is too small to for 3400 pound car and that it will cause issues.

Turbos require to be spooled up often and build boost in order for them to work properly and have no issues. The worst thing you can do to a turbo engine is to stay off boost and keep the RPM low.

With that small engine and a hefty curb weight, GM ensured that the engine and the turbo will have plenty of "work out", remember this is a commuter econobox, people will drive it like a regular Corolla or Civic, if the engine was bigger and had more horsepower, people would simply use less throttle, which is fine on an N/A engine, but is bad on torbo'ed engine.

As long as proper oil is used and changed at recommended intervals, I don't see any problems with a small displacement engine that is worked a bit harder.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back