Castrol Syntec 0w-30, 6892 Miles on oil, 2008 G35

Status
Not open for further replies.
Below is the latest UOA and first UOA on my G..

Blackstone comments are:
We found a little more wear in this first sample from the 3.5L in your G35 than normal. Aluminum
is from the pistons and copper and lead generally show bearing, though copper can come from any
brass/bronze part. Universal averages show typical wear levels for this type of engine after about 4,500
miles on the oil. We're not ready to call these levels a problem just yet, but it is something to watch. The
TBN was 4.2 showing plenty of active additive; less than 1.0 is too low. Try just 5,000 miles on the oil next
time and check back. Hopefully wear improves.

Code:
Oil GC0w30 GC0w30

Miles in Use 6892 3786

Miles on Veh. 26519 14257

Make up oil 0 0

ALUMINUM 7 4

CHROMIUM 0 0

IRON 17 13

COPPER 11 9

LEAD 20 6

TIN 0 0

MOLYBDENUM 1 8

NICKEL 0 0

MANGANESE 1 3

SILVER 0 0

TITANIUM 0 0

POTASSIUM 2 2

BORON 3 8

SILICON 11 11

SODIUM 9 6

CALCIUM 1735 1768

MAGNESIUM 526 488

PHOSPHORUS 862 839

ZINC 990 1047

BARIUM 0 0

SUS VIS 210ºF 65.0 61.6

cSt @ 212ºF 11.61 10.68

Flashpoint ºF 400 380

Fuel %
Antifreeze % 0.0 0.0

Water % 0.0 0.0

Insolubles % 0.3 0.1

TBN 4.2 5.7

One comment I'd like to add is that I wasn't "clean" in my taking of the oil sample, making a mess of it as I took it. Don't know if that would affect the readings.

Comments are appreciated.

You kept the oil in twice as long this time and your concentration of metals went up only slightly. Don't you expect higher numbers at 6900 miles vs 4500 or 3700? where is the problem? Seems like if you are concerned, change the oil at 4500 next time so you can benchmark.

Can you edit in the universal averages for us?

That much lead doesn't look good to me, but I'm no expert. UA's would help contextualize them. I have to say though, I feel GC has been slipping of late too. Not sure what's going on but a few GC UOA's I've seen haven't been as good as they used to be. I also am a big believe the old green formula was superior. jmo

Originally Posted By: Burt
You kept the oil in twice as long this time and your concentration of metals went up only slightly. Don't you expect higher numbers at 6900 miles vs 4500 or 3700? where is the problem? Seems like if you are concerned, change the oil at 4500 next time so you can benchmark.

It's not that I didn't expect increased concentration of metals. The number that sticks out to my untrained eye is the lead and the low moly. I'd expect it to be higher.

Nothing too alarming, I have seen some very nice UOA's with Edge 5w30, and Penz. Plat. M1 0w40 may even work well. You will just need to keep an eye on it and find your "niche" oil. I think Shpanky is right, GC isn't quite what it used to be. Not a terrible UOA by any means though.
Even though we have different engines and kind of apples to oranges comparison, I am going to do a UOA of M1 0w30AFE in a short while.
BTW: What oil filters were used? Just curious.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Nothing too alarming, I have seen some very nice UOA's with Edge 5w30, and Penz. Plat. M1 0w40 may even work well. You will just need to keep an eye on it and find your "niche" oil. I think Shpanky is right, GC isn't quite what it used to be. Not a terrible UOA by any means though.
Even though we have different engines and kind of apples to oranges comparison, I am going to do a UOA of M1 0w30AFE in a short while.
BTW: What oil filters were used? Just curious.

I plan on getting my hands on Edge. I have 5 quarts of PP in my stash. As for the M1 0w-40, it's still under warranty so technically it's not the recommended viscosity for the car, even though I know there have been many people who've had success with the oil.

I'm using the OEM Nissan filter.

Originally Posted By: Burt

I'd be more concerned about the monkeys working at Blackstone making foolish comments.

Originally Posted By: shpankey
Can you edit in the universal averages for us?

That much lead doesn't look good to me, but I'm no expert. UA's would help contextualize them. I have to say though, I feel GC has been slipping of late too. Not sure what's going on but a few GC UOA's I've seen haven't been as good as they used to be. I also am a big believe the old green formula was superior. jmo

Unfortunately I didn't have time to get the UA's, which are for an oil after roughly 4500 miles per Blackstone, until now, which are on the far right below:
Code:
Oil GC0w30 GC0w30 UA

Miles in Use 6892 3786

Miles on Veh. 26519 14257

Make up oil 0 0

ALUMINUM 7 4 3

CHROMIUM 0 0 1

IRON 17 13 11

COPPER 11 9 6

LEAD 20 6 6

TIN 0 0 1

MOLYBDENUM 1 8 68

NICKEL 0 0 0

MANGANESE 1 3 1

SILVER 0 0 0

TITANIUM 0 0 0

POTASSIUM 2 2 1

BORON 3 8 50

SILICON 11 11 12

SODIUM 9 6 15

CALCIUM 1735 1768 2348

MAGNESIUM 526 488 117

PHOSPHORUS 862 839 701

ZINC 990 1047 847

BARIUM 0 0 0

SUS VIS 210ºF 65.0 61.6

cSt @ 212ºF 11.61 10.68

Flashpoint ºF 400 380

Fuel %
Antifreeze % 0.0 0.0

Water % 0.0 0.0

Insolubles % 0.3 0.1

TBN 4.2 5.7

i've also tried german castrol on my g35 coupe (not sure if you have the sedan, although i don't know what differences that would make), and wasn't too impressed, copper numbers were high.
i've switched to pennzoil platinum and got pretty decent numbers, on my first run of castrol edge right now.

Originally Posted By: Trinh
i've also tried german castrol on my g35 coupe (not sure if you have the sedan, although i don't know what differences that would make), and wasn't too impressed, copper numbers were high.
i've switched to pennzoil platinum and got pretty decent numbers, on my first run of castrol edge right now.

I have the sedan. I'll be doing another UOA in the spring after running GC this winter. If anything, the engine sounds butter smooth when on GC.

Did you do an UOA on the PP?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: momomeister

I have the sedan. I'll be doing another UOA in the spring after running GC this winter. If anything, the engine sounds butter smooth when on GC.

yes, sir, i did do an uoa with the pp, pretty happy with it, can't really complain, copper numbers down, if you'd like, i can email you the pdf file?

I plan on getting my hands on Edge. I have 5 quarts of PP in my stash. As for the M1 0w-40, it's still under warranty so technically it's not the recommended viscosity for the car, even though I know there have been many people who've had success with the oil.

I say try going with a PureONE oil filter, or even a Napa Gold/Wix over OEM, and then changing the oil at 6000 with another UOA. Use the same oil.

Last edited:
Doesn't look that bad considering mileage I suppose.
But I just have one question. I should know the answer but I am not sure.

Is this the VQ35DE or the VQ37HR?

yes, sir, i did do an uoa with the pp, pretty happy with it, can't really complain, copper numbers down, if you'd like, i can email you the pdf file?

I'll take your word for it. Thanks for the offer! I've read up on the UOA's and like you experienced, PP appears to be okay in our engine..

Originally Posted By: FZ1
4500 mile oci or 6 months,whichever comes first. .02.

So if you were me, you'd be concerned about the copper, lead, and iron?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ltslimjim

I say try going with a PureONE oil filter, or even a Napa Gold/Wix over OEM, and then changing the oil at 6000 with another UOA. Use the same oil.

Would love to use the PureONE, Wix, or M1. But since I'm under warranty, I want to be sure there is no wiggle room should I have engine issues...

Originally Posted By: SLCraig

It's the VQ35HR.

That being said I think it did a decent job. The HR engines seem to like to thrash oil.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig

It's the VQ35HR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back