Amsoil 10W-30 - 5600 miles (OAI v. CTC) Volvo S70

Status
Not open for further replies.
Details: Oil - Amsoil 10W-30 ATM. Car is a 1999 Volvo S70 with a high pressure turbocharged 2.3 L (236 HP) engine. It is running a Mann/Volvo oil filter and a K&N drop in air filter. Miles/time on the oil is 5600 miles (about 5 months). Miles on car is 51003 miles. First column is previous analysis (conducted by OAI in-house) and had 5530 miles on oil; same brand/type oil, same air filter, same brand oil filter, about same time in crankcase. Second column is the current analysis, purchased from OAI, but contracted to CTC.

Prev. Current
Fe 7 16
Cr 0 1
Pb 1 0
Cu 8 12
Sn 2 0
Al 6 4
Ni 1 0
Ag 0 0
Mn 1 Not Reported
Si 3 4
B 34 3
Na 3 8
Mg 356 345
Ca 3348 2724
Ba 0 0
P 1248 1286
Zn 1526 1393
Mo 5 1
Ti 0 0
V 0 0
Cd 0
K NR 0
Gly. Neg Neg
H20 Neg Neg
Fuel 1.3% Vis @ 100 11.7 12.26
Oxd 15.6 16
Nox 37.1 29
TBN 8.3 5.61

Note the difference in TBN and Vis @ 100. Generally, the current analysis is not as favorable. I understand the TBN issue between the two labs, but I don’t like the way the oil thickened in the current analysis; barely a 30 wt. Next sample will be with Shaeffer’s 703, same interval.

I wonder what caused the rise in iron like that? Especially with such low lead values!

The silicon looks awesome for any air filter, let alone a K&N!

Maybe my imagination but maybe more colder driving on this batch?? Possibly make higher Iron concentration. Then again it is a turbo. I would be OK with those results.

Colder temperatures crossed my mind too. Overall I’m not worried about the results, but was surprised at the differences. BTW, both were SJ oils.

Patman-- I've not had any problems with Si levels with my K&Ns, either this car or my Jeep. I live in a pretty dusty area (lots of Ag related PM). I've been impressed how well they perform. My theory on their relative performance is based on the velocity of the air and pressure drop across the filter media. On both vehicles, the filter size is very large, resulting in low flow velocites and low pressure drop. I think that dirt actually has a chance to get caught in the oiled media rather than being pushed through.

It's strange when it comes to K&N filters, some reports we see on here show terrible numbers with K&Ns, while there are a few of them out there which show phenomenal results. I'm still wary of running one on my car though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back