Penzoil PP vs Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2001 Jeep with 4.0 engine. I have been using PP for the past few oils changes, normally going to 7500, using an Amsoil Ea filter. I have not done o UOA on the PP yet. Does
anyone feel its worth the extra $$ to go to Ultra? The 5 QT jug of PP at Wallymart is $20 & change. Add about $10 for Ultra. I use 6 Qts so its a little more for me.

If you're going to switch, go to Rotella T6. Jeep 4.0s love the stuff. Extra shot of ZDDP for the flat tappet cam, although with a 4.0 it isn't absolutely necessary.

Is the Amsoil filter worth the cost for only running it 7.500 miles? The Amsoil filter should be used for 15,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Is the PU worth $10 more than the PP, absolutely not.

That is actually pretty cool to see a retired Pennzoil employee say. I've not seen that much of a price differential here- Ultra is $1 a quart more, which I am willing to pay.

no doubt johnny is the man to ask that question, and i like his honest response. i see no reason to use pu as its not to my knowledge an extended run oil so i too would stick w pp. and as steves is noting i too think the amsoil filter is way overkill for that oci. ive seen several times AA have 5quarts pp and a pure1 for around $28, wich to me would be a good price and would manage your oci with ease

Originally Posted By: HyundaiGuy
Originally Posted By: Johnny
Is the PU worth $10 more than the PP, absolutely not.

That is actually pretty cool to see a retired Pennzoil employee say. I've not seen that much of a price differential here- Ultra is $1 a quart more, which I am willing to pay.
Because?

I maintain my father's Commanche 4.0. Last one he had went 350k on dino 10w-30 summer, 5/10w-30 or 20w-20 winter. 5k intervals with no oil related problems. The current one is running Q Horse Power or PP 5w-30 winter, 5/10w-30 summer for around 8k intervals with a Bosch or Purolator classic filter. With the low valve spring tension, zddp isn't a huge concern. Like Johnny said, not worth the extra $10 unless your going to go beyond 9 or 10k miles on it. The amsoil filter is wasted at 7.5k intervals. But, it's your vehicle and you can do what you believe best or wish to do. Isn't freedom great?
49.gif

The difference is now $4.00 at Wallymart. There was not a lot of P Ultra on the shelves. But this is not a huge Walmart either.

The reason I use a Amsoil Ea filter is because with its nano fiber technology it should do a better job of filtering whether I go 7500 or 12000. Or is that not a valid reason?

I can't say for your application, but my 2008 Dodge 4.7L engine ran much better on Ultra 5w20 than on PP 5w20. The Ultra held up to 8k miles of "severe service" with no apparent trouble, while the valvetrain got very loud at ~6k miles on PP under similar comditions, both with a Bosch filter.

I would happily pay ~$1/qt extra for Ultra over Platinum.

I currently have a tapping sound at startup in my 2001 Jeep 4.0 engine with PP. I'd go with Ultra if it would get rid of that. But I wonder the future of Ultra. I cannot imagine stores want to carry 2 grades of Penzoil synthetic oil.

IMO if your doing extended drains? i'd go up to PU for the added TBN increase it offers.

again IMO i think PU is a better oil the PP.

Originally Posted By: daman
IMO if your doing extended drains? i'd go up to PU for the added TBN increase it offers.

again IMO i think PU is a better oil the PP.

Pennzoil Ultra may, and I am mean just may keep an engine a tad bit cleaner than Pennzoil Platinum.

Originally Posted By: kcfx4
ive seen several times AA have 5quarts pp and a pure1 for around $28, wich to me would be a good price and would manage your oci with ease

I run this Combination in my 2000 XJ 4.0 sport and have been very happy with the results. On my 3rd OC now with this.

Engine is at 150k+ and runs very well. Even gets Decent Gas Mileage.

Good OilPressure and the Engine is as smooth and quiet as can be expected from this model.

Added a bottle of Z-Max at the last OCI as well, FWIW.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back