New Castrol Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone will still want to mix it with another oil.

375x253_edge_titanium.jpg

Why is it Castrol’s most advanced motor oil?

* In extreme tests, Castrol EDGE with Titanium Fluid Strength Technology maintained maximum horsepower 60% longer than Castrol SYNTEC[1]
* Power = strongest dispersants to remove power-robbing deposits
* Performance = strongest oxidation control to provide longest wear protection
* Protection = Lowest volatility for maximum performance during the entire drain interval
* An advanced proprietary formula that provides performance and protection in extreme conditions such as towing, hauling, high and low temperatures, rapid acceleration and stop-and-go traffic [2]
* Guaranteed extended drain interval protection for up to 15,000 miles, or one year, whichever comes first [3]
* Performance and protection that outperforms conventional, high mileage and synthetic blend motor oils
* Exceeds the world’s toughest industry-agreed standards [4]
* Fully compatible with all conventional and synthetic oils

Castrol EDGE with Titanium Fluid Strength Technology and Castrol EDGE with SYNTEC Power Technology will have limited availability until March 2011. Please check with your local retailer.

http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_int...astrol_EDGE.pdf

I'm sure it's a very good oil. I guess they are using the CP titanium additive from Afton??

I don't like how they're messing with the names. "Castrol EDGE with SYNTEC Power Technology"? "Castrol EDGE with Titanium Fluid Strength Technology"? Sounds like the marketing folks ----- around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: qdeezie
If Edge came out with a 0w-30, I think they'd move some serious units.

It is. Castrol EDGE w/Syntec lists a 0W-30 Here

NICE
smile.gif
Too bad we don't get here Euro Castrol Edge 0w30 and Castrol Edge Sport 0w40
frown.gif

Ill give this new EDGE a go if and only IF there is a 5w20 or lower flavor in a 5qt jug. I have only seen 5w,10w-30 at WM.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
The end of GC?

Actually it looks like from reading this FAQ PDF 0W-30 will continue the Syntec moniker for now because it is so popular worldwide

Quote:
9. Why is Castrol SYNTEC 0W-30 formula not changing right away?
The 0W-30 is a global European formula. The volume is much higher in other
markets than it is in the US and those markets require the specifications of
the current formula. Like 5W-40, the packaging on 0W-30 will remain
SYNTEC until we receive OEM approvals on the new name.

Originally Posted By: bodeh6
Originally Posted By: qdeezie
If Edge came out with a 0w-30, I think they'd move some serious units.

It is. Castrol EDGE w/Syntec lists a 0W-30 Here

I was speaking in regards to Edge w/Titanium. Thanks for pointing this out, though.

Soo syntec is now edge with syntec power and edge is now edge with titanium power?

LOL ugh, my head already hurts in the oil aisle.

Awesome. Now auto parts store has to carry following synthetics:
1. Mobil Super
2. Mobil 1
3. Mobil EP
4. Mobil HM
5. Pennzoil Ultra
6. Pennzoil Platinum
7. Castrol Edge with Ti
8. Castrol Edge with Syntec
9. QS UD
10. Valvoline Synpower
11. Possibly Conoco Kendall Synthetic or some other brand (PEAK or something else)
12. Generic Store Brand Synthetic
----------------------------------

For simplicity sake let's take 3 weights in each (5w20,5w30,10w30 or some euro grade) store has to carry.

That's at least 12x3=36 combinations of different oil brands and weights just for SYNTHETICS.

Add another let's say 12 combinations for mineral and 12 for semi-synthetic oils.

60(!!!) different combinations of weights, brands, grades, and types of oil
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
Those oil companies sometimes are really cracking me up....
smile.gif

Just please give us some 0/5w-40 formulas of Edge already for cryin' out loud.

p.s. on that site, the individual data sheet values are not the same specs as the bottom one that lists them all. Just at a glance the 10w30's kv40 and 100 cSt values are different. On the individual data sheets their values are higher (thicker) than the one that shows them all.

To the poster above who said same data sheet, was you looking at the one that lists them all? It appears you need to look at each individual pds to get the new upgraded numbers.

So, this means Edge isn't so crazy thin anymore. YAY!

Originally Posted By: sangyup81
New name, same PDS -_-

Yeah, their PDS at the bottom that lists them all is not updated. It's from Dec. 2009. To see the new specs you have to click on the material safety data sheet for each individual grade. Just at a glance the 5w30 and 10w30's kv40 and 100 cSt values are different than their old formulas...

5w30 kv40: 61.48, kv100: 10.71, FP: 220c, 428f
10w30 kv40: 71.3, kv100: 11.43, FP: 200c, 392f

...for reference, their other PDS at the bottom is an old PDS dated December of 2009. It lists these at..

5w30 kv40: 54.17, kv100: 9.8
10w30 kv40: 60.46, kv100: 9.83

So they thickened up a bit. The old 10w30 was thicker at both temps than the new 5w30! lol. Also, I'm thinking the new 5w30 is using more of a better basestock than the new 10w30 judging by the flashpoint difference. Would this be correct thinking, or no? Just throwing it out as more of a question, not a statement. But the 5w has a better FP for sure.

Also from the new MSDS:

Base oils:
Highly refined 85-90%, CAS # Varies
Trade secret 3032: 1-5%, CAS # Proprietary

...we seem to be missing 5-10% of something. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back