When do YOU replace your car battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Age/time, mileage, or do you wait until it becomes hard to start/hard to keep a charge?

I replaced my old 7 year old Optima once it became hard to hold a charge and replaced my girlfriend's OEM battery once it became hard to start. With her battery now hitting on 5-years, I'm thinking I may just change it out before it gives her any problems like last time.

Just looking to see how the rest of the board decides when its time to buy a new battery.

I wait until it won't start, then I jump start it with a self jumper I keep in the trunk and I go buy a new one. I make them last as long as possible.

I test the battery every year, all have come back ok. Even if the broke a few weeks later. I think I'll skip testing from now on and just wait for trouble to find me.

When? Easy! Only when there's the 1st telltale sign of battery weak (cranking?), then load test the battery. If the battery marginal, replace, if not, use it until the sign is obvious.

Never into the idea of proactively replacing battery (utter waste of resource and mullah).

Q.

When it won't start. My last battery a NAPA legend battery lasted 5 months. Thought it was my starter or something becuase it was a brand new battery. The battery before that I drained on at least 5 or six occasions before it finally gave up. I'm more carefull now.

Every year or so just before winter, I pull it and have it load tested. It failed last time after 2 years so it got warrantied out right there.

DC44, You did go get a free replacment battery under Napa's warranty didn't you?
I replace them when the vehicle gets very hard to start or start needing jumps. Usually ends up being around the 5 year mark for most batteries in my climate.

Last edited:
I usually replace them between 48-60 months after I buy them. It's not worth the PITA factor to get stuck or to be late for work one day to eke out another year or two...at least not to me. That way, it gets changed on a nice sunny day on my schedule.

Best,

Usually about 3 to 5 years. If it's a brand new car with an OEM battery, it's 3 years, but if it's an aftermarket battery, 5 years.

When it fails an annual load test, or when it shows the first symptoms of pending failure.

I'd much rather replace it proactively-the idea of standing around with jumper cables in my hand hoping for a jump from someone isn't my idea of fun. I also refuse to ever allow my wife to be stranded in such a situation because of an attempt to "save a buck".

Typically I wait until it shows symptoms. My E-150 battery was 10 years old in October. I had AAP check it, and I told them the battery was 3 years old, the date wasn't visible. They said it was fine. I usually work close to home, so if it dies it would be annoying, but it won't be the end of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back