Oil Jug VS. Quart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I am new here...I had a question, I heard that oil from the jug is not as good quality as it is from a quart. How true is this? Because honestly it does not make sense to me.

-Jon

if they are the same oil it makes no differance if it comes in a quart or jug as long as the ratings are the same it is the same.

I will give you an example of why there the same, and I might add, I speak from experience on this one.

Lets say Pennzoil/Shell blends a batch of Pennzoil 5W-20 and this batch of oil is 20,000 gallons. First thing they do is load 10,000 in to a rail tank car for a trip to a distributor that has rail service. Now the rest of the 10,000 remaining is allocated for so many 55-gallon drums, so many gallon jugs, so many 5-quart containers for Walmart, and so many cases of quart bottles.

And it all came from the same batch. Now I just use this as an example because usually when they blend a batch of one weight of popular oil, it can be as much as 100,000 gallons.

Originally Posted By: explorer99sport
Hi, I am new here...I had a question, I heard that oil from the jug is not as good quality as it is from a quart. How true is this? Because honestly it does not make sense to me.

-Jon

It doesn't make sense to you because it doesn't make sense. People infer quality from price but that's not the real reason jugs are cheaper than quart bottles. Someone's gotta pay for the extra plastic.

Originally Posted By: explorer99sport

-Jon

It is not true. End of story.

Quote:
It doesn't make sense to you because it doesn't make sense. People infer quality from price but that's not the real reason jugs are cheaper than quart bottles. Someone's gotta pay for the extra plastic.

True enough. There are also other considerations that result in cheaper per quart when in 5 qt jugs.
Shipping, storage costs, printing costs, and perhaps another item or two I haven't thought of are all cost savings for the MFG.

i prefer quart bottles, of course i dont have a truck needing 16 quarts or whatever, i have 2 cars that require 4.5 qts a piece and i just prefer quarts, but whats in the quart is in the jug

As you can see from the above responses that the only difference is the packaging, and there are savings to both the producer and consumer for larger bottles. I'll use one analogy, is a 1.75L bottle of Jack Daniel's less quality than a 750mL bottle of JD?

Old theory is that the add-pack settles to the bottom more readily on the larger containers which is not likely for short term storage (less than two years). I like the gallon jugs since most add-packs are soluble these days. There is less waste with gallon+ jugs due to less surface area the oil adheres to with a larger container.

Well, Mountain Dew tastes better from a can than a plastic bottle, so what might that tell us???

Originally Posted By: ProfPS
As you can see from the above responses that the only difference is the packaging, and there are savings to both the producer and consumer for larger bottles. I'll use one analogy, is a 1.75L bottle of Jack Daniel's less quality than a 750mL bottle of JD?

Last edited:
The only advantage of Quart bottles is they are harder to spill(easier to control) and you don't have to worry about the pouring method, each time they change those 5-Quart(even gallon) jugs/containers it makes it somewhat of a challenge to find the comfortable angle it likes to be poured from. Just be sure to use a funnel with a huge opening!
laugh.gif
grin.gif

This remindes me of the days when I worked at Kmart and I had a guy tell me that he doesn't buy his oil at Kmart since it is bottled from the bottom of the barrel but the WalMart stuff if from the top, lol.

An oil company specs their oil for grade/weight, not what bottle or store or etc....

Originally Posted By: dubie2003
This remindes me of the days when I worked at Kmart and I had a guy tell me that he doesn't buy his oil at Kmart since it is bottled from the bottom of the barrel but the WalMart stuff if from the top, lol.

An oil company specs their oil for grade/weight, not what bottle or store or etc....

Bahahahahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back