Using non-Dexos oil in a new GM????

Status
Not open for further replies.
fyi

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) recently issued a consumer alert clarifying that the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act prohibits automobile manufacturers and dealers from denying warranty coverage based on use of an aftermarket product, unless they can show the product caused the damage or was installed incorrectly.

“The FTC’s statement should help those ILMA members, for example, who have decided not to license General Motors’ dexos™ engine oil,” said ILMA counsel Jeff Leiter. “Some ILMA members have complained to me that the automaker has made confusing statements about its new engine oil and warranty coverage for new vehicles. It makes sense to hand a customer a copy of the FTC consumer alert, showing that the use of equivalent products should not affect warranty coverage.”

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/alerts/alt192.shtm

One way of looking at it generally, and maybe not precisely, is that while most conventional oil even GF5 might not be the performance equivalent of Dexos, most of the synthetics like PP, QSUD, Mobil 1 even if older stock GF5 most likely meet or exceed Dexos 1. I could be wrong but thse synthetics exceeded the miminal GF5 standards. Dexos is not even a synthetic requirement per se, it just would require a base oil that is mostly synthetic and a stout additive package. Which for the most part the full synthetics were already meeting for some time.

I have a hard time seeing how any synthetic 0w30 or higher would be inadequate for the 1.4T.

People have been using those oils with Gas Turbos, GDI Turbos, and TDI Turbos for years now

Originally Posted By: Finklejag
Great car! My parents will be buying one this week.

Did you pick up the 1.8 or 1.4T? If you picked up the 1.4T. What is the sump size?

Will you be doing your own oil changes? Will you be following the OLM?

I got the LT1 with 1.4T and A/T in red.
I had wanted a white one that my dealer had but it had 52 miles (of test driving, including mine) on it. When I saw the red one with 4 miles I asked the wife and she liked the red as well. My impressions during a 5 mile test drive was very positive. The power was adequate but the handling and solidity were very good.
I'm happy that it has a 6T40 A/T which is used in the Malibu and has been trouble free so far.
I'm sure the 1.8 is a good motor but it has a timing belt while the 1.4T has a chain.
The 1.4 should get about 2 mpg more also.
I remember reading that the 1.8 Ecotec in the Saturn Astra required a manual valve adjustment so I would think the 1.8 in the Cruze would too (I'll check my manual when I get home). I'm assuming the 1.4T doesn't need valve adjustments????
Does anybody know???

My parents just drove it home today. They got the 1LT, silver with the medium titanium interior. I will be reading over the owners manual when I go visit them at the end of the month.

reading customer reviews it looks like a awesome car...i would use synthetic in turbo, regular oil in 1.8

Originally Posted By: pbm
I'm happy that it has a 6T40 A/T which is used in the Malibu and has been trouble free so far.

How do you like the programming on the Cruze's transmission? A lot of people don't like the strange calibration, and there is a new calibration available if you do not like yours. Inside Line had this complaint with their long-term Cruze and had the revised calibration applied, and found significant improvements:

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtests/20...d.html#comments
http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/2283-post16.html

The cruze has also had a lot of service campaigns on the early build models-- did your dealer check to ensure that no service campaigns are open on your car?

Congrats again on the Cruze. Post some pictures of it soon. Is the interior of the LT1, the same as the upper-level LTZ?

I would stay with a Dexos approved oil at least through the 5/100 warranty period. A few hundred bucks in oil is nothing compared to a claim denial on this new turbo engine.

"In my opinion DEXOS was implemented by GM...for no logical reason other than financial gain."

How can it be financial gain when there are oils other than Gm's that meet the spec ?

Originally Posted By: bruno
"In my opinion DEXOS was implemented by GM...for no logical reason other than financial gain."

How can it be financial gain when there are oils other than Gm's that meet the spec ?

Because any oil that displays the dexos logo has to pay GM a royalty.

Originally Posted By: NateDN10
Originally Posted By: bruno

Because any oil that displays the dexos logo has to pay GM a royalty.

Any how is that fee any different than all of GM's other spec, Fords specs, chrysler spec, etc???

Originally Posted By: tsduke
Any how is that fee any different than all of GM's other spec, Fords specs, chrysler spec, etc???

Oh, I'm not saying I agree with the argument, I was only supplying the rationale.

If an oil brand or flavor says it meets GM spec #xxxxx, GM doesn't get a royalty.
IF they display the 'Dexos' approval label, GM does get a royalty.
Much like Dexron VI.

pbm,

What do you have against following the manufacturer's recommendation on oil? You just paid ~$20k for a new car, and then you want to save 45 cents on oil changes to keep from paying GM's 9-cent/quart licensing fee.

Don't be penny-wise and pound-foolish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back