Who makes Mopar filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtd

I have a friend with a 2004 Dodge Dakota with the 4.7L V8. Yesterday I noticed when he started his truck and drove past me, his engine was tapping pretty loud. He only has around 24,000 miles on the truck and he said it has done this since new. This is on a cold engine. He always gets his oil and filter changed at the local Dodge dealership.

I thought that I had read or heard somewhere that Mopar filters are made by fram. I told him that if this is the case, it's possibly the filter causing his cold start tapping noise.
Does anyone know if this cold start tapping is a characteristic of this engine? Thanks.
Wayne

I copied this from my post from different forum.
The best scenairo for you is a broken exhaust manifold bolt. If the exhaust manifold(s)is not the problem. Then the source of the noise is internal. Your problem could be lifters (actually called lash adjusters) or timing chain tensioner or pistons). There are numerous people that have complained about cold engine knock on the 4.7! I have tried different oil filters, different kinds of synthetic and dino oils and EOS oil additive. None worked at all to quiet the noise. My advice to you is save your money on oil additives and even trying to repair the problem. Just make sure to warm up engine till tick dissappears, a minute or two more to be safe before driving away.Just an FYI for ya. I had all lash adjusters, right bank rockers, timing chain and tensioner replaced under warranty. I did the manifold gaskets myself with my shorty headers. And still have the cold engine tick. 45 to 60 seconds and gone. All that warranty work and no difference in noise level or duration of time.Truck runs very strong. My gear shop guy did a couple of cold starts on his hoist. He tell's me it's defiantly in the bottom end. So the pistons are the obvious culprit. This was the end result will my 4.7 engine. I have no idea if this would be the same in your case?

Thanks for the info. This is on my friend's truck so I will tell him what you have said. The truck runs fine but just has this noise when cold.

Wayne

the mopar filters are now made by purolater they are good filters.. Those engines are prone to sludge we see a lot of them here in the shop... if it is a sticky valve a cup of mmo in the gas and oil may solve this problem..However if it is a knock then that is a problem...Also note some of them have loud injectors..
I know a lot of people hear something that sounds like an engine knock on some of those suv's and its actually a ticking from a vacuum pump on the passenger side of the motor..A lot of time when we rebuild some of those engines i have to point out that it is not the engine knocking by unplugging that pump

Thanks again for the info. I told him the info today at work. I had previously told him that I thought that the 4.7L was sludge prone. I don't doubt that his is sludged since he only has to drive about four miles to work so I doubt his truck ever really gets warmed up good. His drivetrain warrenty goes out in June.

Wayne

From what I saw at the dealership on Sunday:

1. The box filters (they are black) are made by Purolator (except for the big one for the Cummins, and it is grey)

2. The open filters (they are white) are made by WIX or Champion Labs. Not 100% sure.

I looked through their entire pile. The big ones all had the threaded-end bypass (both brands) like Ford. But no silicone ADBV.

I have the 5.7 Hemi with the same heavey knock when cold, almost sounds like a disel. I had a stethescope on the motor today and it sounds like it's coming from a part that is attached to the motor it has two wires comig from it. I don't know the name of that part. But they may have used that same part on the 4.7, which is logical since the 4.7 and the 5.7 are two totally different motors.

The ones I've seen sold in Wally, with thread end bypass, are Purolator made. They look very similar the Purolator made Motorcraft 820-S, but have a nitrile adbv rather than the Mc silicone.

Another thread linked below, shows a Mopar Performance filter which uses dome end bypass and a coil spring, rather than leaf spring. The coil spring indicates to me it might be a Wix made filter, but with a dome end bypass.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2022526

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back