2006 Sienna AT Fluid Exchange?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone familar with the 2006 Toyota Sienna (3.3L V6)? Specifically, the service manual dosen't provide a maintenance interval for normal service Transmission Fluid Exchange. It specifies a fluid swap at 60K - if you're primarily towing. Otherwise, the OEM hasn't provided an interval. The 2006 uses Type T-IV. Unlike some other Toyota AT fluids, I thought Toyota "T" fluids needed exchages.

No shifting issues and smotth operation - just want to keep things that way. Toyota Service seems unsure about the answer -some guys say it's not required, others say at 100,000 miles. Anyone with Toyota knowledge on the topic...

I also have a 2006 Sienna and I am doing a drain and fill only, did one around 48,000 km (30,000 miles), and will be doing another one soon as I'm at about 96,000 km. Some have successfully switched to other ATF's. You can search their experiences with Toyota/Aisin transmissions. Others who switched did not have good luck. Whether or not the ATF is the cause people have debated. I'd rather not take the chance myself.

As for me, I am only using T-IV or Mobil 3309 (same fluid). T-IV will be available obviously at Toyota/Lexus/Scion dealers, as well as several other brands where Aisins have been used (GM, Ford, VW, Volvo, Mazda to name a few - be sure it's 3309, as those automakers have different trannies needing different fluids). Mobil 3309 should also be available at some auto parts stores.

Even if tomorrow, Toyota were to back spec something else as being acceptable, I will wait and see the long term results after others have switched. Think Dex 6...

Last edited:
02 v6 Camry says same thing, never change, T-IV, but it is good to do anyway. Prius says never change, in USA, but it has been shown changing does have benefits, by UOA tests. It should have a drain plug, which makes things easy. I would change it, using only Toyota approved oil, just to keep thing oe, and to know, not guess, the oil is specifically correct.

T-IV is not a lifetime fluid by any stretch. Use a regular interval and I would assume that any mini-van that is not a long haul delivery vehicle should be considered in a severe service category (think school car pool lane!). Toyota typically uses a "Inspect" standard for transmission fluid replacement. That means whenever you or your mechanic think it's time then do it. It does not mean they think it can go forever but that it varies with conditions.

There are lots of reports on the board of people getting very good performance out of the Multi-vehicle fluids in vehicles spec'd T-IV. Some of these fluids also meet tougher standards like Mercon V so you know you are getting good fluid. Look for T-IV or JWS 3309 in the applications list.

If you have a drain plug on the pan then simple drain and fills are easy and should not be expensive. Transmission fluid is cheap and transmissions are not. Around 75% of all contaminants a transmission sees over it's lifetime are present after initial break-in so early maintenance is best. I bet you'll see much more change out of your fresh trans fluid then you have with your other fluids.

These have a drain plug. I can't remember exactly offhand, but I think it uses a 10mm hex key. Be sure to get a replacement crush washer, and have 5 qts/litres on hand for a drain and fill. You won't need quite that much, but safer to have too much on hand than it is to have to little and you can't get it to the fill line. Not a big issue if you have a second vehicle to run out and get more (still a PITA), but it is if it's your only vehicle.

Looks like total fill is about 10 quarts and drain and fill would be about 4 quarts. Pretty typical for Toyota. Easiest would be do a drain and fill with each oil change until you get the level of change you want.

I did a complete cooler exchange last summer on the wife's 06 Corolla with the Amsoil ATF at 42k. Out with the old T-IV and in with the new stuff, zero problems to report. I will do the same thing this summer on my 06 Tacoma using the Amsoil fluid.

T-IV is not a lifetime fluid. In fact, I can't think of any fluid that is lifetime. You're doing the right thing in changing it.

Maintenance is definitely required if you plan on keeping the vehicle longer than the warranty or monthly payment.

30k is a reasonable life for any ATF.

A drain/refill every year is easy to do and a gallon of ATF isn't a budget breaker. Upgrade to a full synthetic.

Don't forget the other fluids. Brake fluid should be flushed every 2 years. Power steering fluid needs an occasional siphon/refill or flush. Coolant doesn't last nearly as long as they want you to think it does...

Originally Posted By: weebl
These have a drain plug. I can't remember exactly offhand, but I think it uses a 10mm hex key. Be sure to get a replacement crush washer, and have 5 qts/litres on hand for a drain and fill. You won't need quite that much, but safer to have too much on hand than it is to have to little and you can't get it to the fill line. Not a big issue if you have a second vehicle to run out and get more (still a PITA), but it is if it's your only vehicle.

+1
I have a 2005 Sienna and it does in fact use a 10MM hex. Just about any parts store will have one. I do a drain and fill every year. It takes just a hair under 4 quarts. I have done several drain and fills and you don't need to buy any more than 4 qts. This is one of the easiest vehicles to to a trans drain on for sure--so count your blessings. You don't even have to raise it up!! Just slide under there with a ratchet, the hex and let 'er drain. Can be done in 5 min. Easier than an oil change. Also, a trick on oil changes. You don't even have to jack it up to do those either. Just reach under the exhaust manifold (please not when hot) and use your hands and twist off the filter (if you don't overtighten the one that's already on there). Make sure a drain pan is under the drain thing under the filter. You can also just slide under the van and remove the oil drain plug after you get the filter on. So you don't even have to get the van up in the air for oil, filter, and trans service !!! On ATF--the Toyota Type IV is relatively cheap at the dealer +- 4.30/qt. I can't find Mobil 3309 around here so I just use the OEM fluid which is the same stuff. These trans' are stout and if you change fluid yearly, around 15k miles, it should last the life of the van. Most people don't even change theirs because the manual says it's a lifetime fill and I don't know anyone who has had one go out yet, though I'm sure there are some out there. Anyway, very easy vehicle to service fluids on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back