Castrol Syntec Blend any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
AAP has a deal on it now so I grab 5 quarts and Pure One filter for 20 dollars. I like the filter but not sure about the oil. I know Castrol is very big internationally but how good is it comparing to Mobil, Valvoline, and Penzoil?

Originally Posted By: FordSVTGuy
Since many of the oils today are syn blends, why pay $20 for this one? Not worth it when you get get oil just a good for less.

Because I like the mix of GTX and Syntec?
grin.gif

Since many of the oils today are syn blends, why pay $20 for this one? Not worth it when you get get oil just a good for less.

He gets the Pure1 filter. IMO, this is a solid deal. The filter is a $6 value, though if you purchase online right now at AAP and use the P20 code when checking out, you can get a Pure1 filter bought online and choose the store to pick it up at for $4.

So, IMO, you'd be better off buying the Pure1 filter like that and picking up the oil you want at Wal-Mart in the same trip.

The oil would be around $13-$14 and the filter saved you $2 at least. If you want to save $2 anyway...

Pure One is 7 bucks around here and that's a good deal in my opinion. I know Syntec Blend is better than GTX because it is basically GTX with no additive but I was more concern with how Castrol compares against others. Some people claims Castrol GTX is the best dino juice but I wouldn't be to tell nor could they. So I ask the mass here who may actually used the oil and did some VOA and UOA.

It comes with a 7 dollars filter so the oil is really 13 dollars for 5 quarts. I know my Corolla would like it, I was more concern with using it in the Bronco or possibly the Honda.

I, too, think AAP's offer is a good deal. I have no idea how much Syntec is blended with Castol's GTX to produce "Syntec Blend," but the conventional oil compares well with other conventional oils, and it's hard to imagine the synthetic portion would make it worse. (FWIW, here's a comparison of conventionals: http://www.pqiamerica.com/testresults3a.html.)

Finally -- and I know this will really convince you -- my wife won't let me sell her 4-cyl '99 Accord which she has driven 135k trouble-free miles on 5W-30 GTX. I never intended to keep the car for 11 years, but it's running great, and I guess some of that ought to be attributed to the oil. I chose the GTX High Mileage for the add pack and the P1 filter.

I believe the best syn blend for the dollar has to be Motor Craft Syn Blend - a 5 quart jug of 5W 20 at WM runs $14.00 . After that I would run run a full synthetic such as Quaker State Ultimate Durability for $19.00 per 5 quart jug ...better deals for your money .

I'm making my own Castrol blend. I bought the Syntec yesterday with the Bosche filter at AAP for $28. The filter alone was listed at $13 something. I would have bought the GTX with filter but they didn't have it in 5W-20. Anyway, I'll use 2.5 qts of Syntec and 2.5 qts of GTX when I do a change. I think that will give me a good blend and also reduce the overall price of a change without going straight dino.

Originally Posted By: M1Accord

It comes with a 7 dollars filter so the oil is really 13 dollars for 5 quarts. I know my Corolla would like it, I was more concern with using it in the Bronco or possibly the Honda.

I believe WM was selling Castrol GTX synthetic blend for $16/5 Q jug. So, you made the better deal. Interestingly, I bought some Valvoline MaxLife today for $13.50 there, I wonder why Castrol is more?

They are calling it synblend and from my experience this is awesome stuff. In my focus this gave me the absolute best mpg in all conditions. I would use it again in a heartbeat. Awesome stuff and don't let all the castrol haters sway you. They don't know what they are talking about. It's more expensive than motorcraft oil but i think castrol is a slightly more robust formulation per my UOAs.

Originally Posted By: jagger
You can just as easily pick up motorcraft syn blend plus a supertech filter at walmart. These items are always on sale!

37.gif

i would just get a mc filter if they have one for your app. low price and high quality!!

Originally Posted By: electrolover
Originally Posted By: jagger
You can just as easily pick up motorcraft syn blend plus a supertech filter at walmart. These items are always on sale!

37.gif

i would just get a mc filter if they have one for your app. low price and high quality!!

There's nothing wrong with Supertech filters. I've used a bunch with no problems. Cut open a few as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back